Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Need slip for 3 months, maybe longer, western shore

I am looking for a slip for my sailboat (33ft x 11ft x 5.5ft) for the summer. I need a place that is w/in a 45min drive of Arlington, so from Annapolis, south to Deale, I guess. West River area would be great! I just missed getting a monthly slip in Galesville by a couple minutes. I might be interested in staying on longer if it works out, but cannot make a longer commitment at this time.

I am looking for something in the $280-380 range (the slip I missed was $290). I could go a bit higher if needed, depending on the facilities offered. The marina's I've talked with either insist on annual, or a transient rate that is very high priced (clearly for those only staying a few days).

I don't need much in the way of facilities: water, and being able to plug in a household electric cord for a fan or power tool. Anything more is nice, welcomed but not essential. So private docks would be fine.

Any suggestions on where I might find listings? So far I've used Craig's and Spinsheet. Anyone know of slip owners who are interested in leasing out for a few months? Any suggestions welcomed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
If you don't absolutely need a slip & power, a cheaper alternative would be a mooring at Hartge Yacht Yard in Galesville (see Slips/Moorings for Sept, Oct )

Another place I sometimes see private slips advertised is the Washington Post. But Spinsheet is probably your best bet. Also, consider bringing your boat up the Potomac closer to Arlington -- there are some less expensive marinas down the river a bit south of metro DC. You may save enough in gas/time to offset the slip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-27-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
None of the private slip owners I know will do short term.

Annapolis is not 45 min from Arlington unless you leave at 6am, I've driven it for years and know that for a fact. Traffic is exceedingly nasty by the time you make Andrews if you get there after 6:20 or so.
Deale is and even longer drive.
Old 06-27-2008
Seasoned Salt

Annapolis certainly is not 45 mins, but I have done less than that getting to Galesville and Deale. I had a boat in the yard at HHN for several months and it was an easy drive. I also do not need to travel in rush hours.

Problem with a mooring is I need to be able to plug in a power cable for tools and fans (nothing heavy duty, 10amps is more than plenty), and run a water hose.

The marinas south of DC are all very shallow. No possible way to get in and out of Ft. Washington, and down in Occoquan there are bridges that are not sailboat friendly. So that's why I am looking over on the bay.

I looked for Washington Post classifieds online but amazingly they are not accessible that way. I think that it is in the Sunday sports section classifieds where slips may be listed? The Boat/US website has a classifieds section but no category for slips, nor a search engine that accepts terms.
Old 06-27-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
Annapolis certainly is not 45 mins, but I have done less than that getting to Galesville and Deale. I had a boat in the yard at HHN for several months and it was an easy drive. I also do not need to travel in rush hours.

---

The marinas south of DC are all very shallow. No possible way to get in and out of Ft. Washington, and down in Occoquan there are bridges that are not sailboat friendly. So that's why I am looking over on the bay.

I looked for Washington Post classifieds online but amazingly they are not accessible that way. I think that it is in the Sunday sports section classifieds where slips may be listed? The Boat/US website has a classifieds section but no category for slips, nor a search engine that accepts terms.
Yeah, I've found the drive to Deale or Galesville is shorter (time and distance) than the drive to Annapolis, too. From the Pentagon, it's about 35-36 miles to Galesville.

Did you try Belle Haven, Washington Sailing Marina, or Gangplank? They all have deep water (Belle Haven is borderline, but I think you could do it if you come and go at high tide).

The boat/marine classifieds used to be in a separate section (Sports) of the Wash Post on Saturdays/Sundays. With the decline in marine-related advertising due to competition from the internet, I think they gave up on that, and bundle it all together with the other classifieds now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-27-2008
Seasoned Salt

Gangplank is not workable. Unless you are a transient they insist on getting DC registration within a week. I have MD registration and will be back in MD waters for the fall and winter so not willing to hopscotch around on registration. If transient so no reg chaneg required, the rates would be over $1000/mo and that's before electric and parking.

I really doubt I could get a 5ft drfat sailboat into Belle Haven. I might check but am sure they have not dredged there, ever. The restoration plans for Dyke Marsh would never allow for that.

There may be someone who has a slip available at WSM, I could check there. But I think my beam would be pushing it. I had a smaller boat there 20yrs ago and did not see boats 33x11 there. I also found the slimy soot from the jets realy crudded up my dodger. Aged a new dodger in 6mos to the state my old one was after 5 yrs.

I'm heading out now to visit some yards in Edgewater and Galesville and check bulletin boards.
Old 06-27-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Another Potomac Option

Check out the Fairfax Yacht Club, located on the Occoquan in Mason Neck. The marina is on the Potomac side of the bridges, so clearance isn't an issue. That is where my wife and I keep our P303. We considered the Annapolis/Deal area, but we live in DC and with traffic realized that it would easily be an hour plus ride even on the weekends. At Fairfax, we can be at the boat in 25 mins. without traffic if we take the highway, 40 mins. if we take the back roads. On the weekends, we use the HOV lane on 95/395. From your location, the ride would be even shorter. They have a website and list available slips. You may also want to call Jeff, the dockmaster, as there are often slips available that are not listed on the website. All of the slips are individually owned, but many owners rent out their slips (some own and rent several). I've noticed a few more empty slips than usual this year, so you may find someone willing to do a short term rental at a reasonable rate. We pay about $250 month for our 30x12 slip, with at least 7ft of water at low tide. That inclused 30 amp AC power and water. They also have a nice clubhouse, shower and bathrooms, ice, and a picknick area. PM me if you want more details.
Old 06-27-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
Gangplank is not workable. Unless you are a transient they insist on getting DC registration within a week. I have MD registration and will be back in MD waters for the fall and winter so not willing to hopscotch around on registration. If transient so no reg chaneg required, the rates would be over $1000/mo and that's before electric and parking.

I really doubt I could get a 5ft drfat sailboat into Belle Haven. I might check but am sure they have not dredged there, ever. The restoration plans for Dyke Marsh would never allow for that.

There may be someone who has a slip available at WSM, I could check there. But I think my beam would be pushing it. I had a smaller boat there 20yrs ago and did not see boats 33x11 there. I also found the slimy soot from the jets realy crudded up my dodger. Aged a new dodger in 6mos to the state my old one was after 5 yrs.

I'm heading out now to visit some yards in Edgewater and Galesville and check bulletin boards.

These are all concerns we considered, plus if you have your boat that far north you need to motor quite a ways down river before it is deep/wide enough to do much sailing. Being on the Occoquan, we only need to motor a relatively short distance before we set sail. Most of Belmont/Occoquan bays are deep enough to sail without worry, and you have the choice of sailing up or down river depending on the winds and currents. If you are near DC, your only option is to head down river. I'd like to have the advantage of a larger sailing ground on the Chesapeake, but the convenience of the drive to our current marina is hard to ignore.