Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I understand that Dickerson's Yard in LaTrappe Maryland is offering very good deals on winter storage if they get to do the work on your boat.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I understand that Dickerson's Yard in LaTrappe Maryland is offering very good deals on winter storage if they get to do the work on your boat.

Jeff
Jeff,

Have you ever been up there? I've always wondered what the depths were like -- I assume they are further up La Trappe Creek? Or are they off another creek?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-28-2009

Janssen is on a distinguished road
Winter Storage Sailboat Yards

Hi Brak,

They just pulled a Rasmus 35 at Old Bay Marina and replaced the cutless bearing. Do you know this boat "Zeebruck" from Brussels? Nice folks who invited all the yard regulars over for tasty dark Belgium beer!!

Brian who runs Old Bay speaks German, Dutch/Flemish, and his wife speaks a couple of other languages, so they always have stop overs and quick hauls of trans-Atlantic sailboats. Even with the strong Euro -sailboaters hate to pay high Annapolis or Baltimore City prices so they always seem to find the best deals!

If you are still looking for a winter haul-out -they still have some space available. As a slip holder I pay $14.00 per foot for a winter haul out until April of 2010. For non- slip holders they charge $25.00 per foot and this includes everything - haul, bottom cleaning, blocks, chains, stands, and re-launch.

Your Rassy only draws less than 5', so you should be good as they just dredged the entrance channel close to 7' at a normal high tide.

One or two more sails out on the Patapsco and out comes Nordic Nights for her long winter slumber!

Dr. George Janssen C&C 35 "Nordic Nights"
Old 11-29-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Dr George,

We have seen you out a few times this season We are hoping to squeeze a few more sails out before we winterize this years also. This is our every other year we leave the boat in the water.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-10-2009

4arch is on a distinguished road
I'm also at Old Bay Marina this year for the first time. Brian has been very helpful and accommodating, the prices are hard to beat, and the place is better maintained than other low price marinas I've seen. The guys there were much more careful in lifting my boat than some of the larger yards and did a more thorough power wash. Definitely a DIY or BYO kind of place but I don't see that as a bad thing. The location is great - very convenient to the Bay and close to Baltimore by water or car. Has the easy access of Rock Creek without the prices. Even though it might not seam like it, protection is pretty decent, even from northeast winds. Downsides are no pumpout and no gas/diesel at Old Bay or anywhere else on Old Road Bay.
Old 12-11-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Smile LaTrappe creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Jeff,

Have you ever been up there? I've always wondered what the depths were like -- I assume they are further up La Trappe Creek? Or are they off another creek?
They are way up LaTrappe creek they will be on your port. Haven't been up there for a few years but the depth was ariound 7 feet at the marina. Don't know what has been done since. Was very nice and quiet up there last time we went
Old 01-01-2010

Winter Storage @ Old Road Bay - Patapsco River

I just got back to Baltimore after taking the boat down to the Keys (Boot Key) for the winter. I see the Lippincott 30 - Spindrift - on the hard in Old Bay Marina's storage field! Very nice boat with clean classic lines.

I agree with you that Old Road Bay (once you understand the dog-legged entrance channel) is quick and easy to get out on the bay sailing.

The fact that none of the Old Road Bay area marinas sell diesel fuel is not much of a concern because I buy my fuel at the truck stop on North Point Road and transport it in my 5 gal. Jerry can. As a sailboater, I only burn a few cans of fuel per season and like the fresh clean fuel from the truck stop.

As to service at Old Bay Marina, they use SKS Marine for engine work and I can say I am very happy with the engine service and fair prices. You can use any engine repair service you like as long as they have insurance.

For fiberglass, shaft & prop repair, woodworking and custom parts there are several European craftsmen working out of Old Bay. Brian used to build fiberglass boats and he is very helpful in solving problems and saving the boat owner money. If he does not know the answer - he will direct you to someone who does. Old Bay Marina also lets its customers use its wholesale number to buy wholesale West Marine. I save hundreds of dollars yearly on bottom paint and supplies!!!

George
Old 01-03-2010

4arch is on a distinguished road
George, thanks for the compliments! We bought her in October after she really caught our eye on an overnight trip to Rock Hall. Been getting a lot of compliments ever since which is nice since sometimes my head gets so wrapped up in all the projects I need to do it becomes easy to focus just on the flaws. Now that the holidays are over I'm hoping to be there a lot on weekends this winter and spring getting her ready to splash in April.

I agree with you about bringing the fuel in by jerry can and thanks for the tip about the WM discount.
Old 09-04-2010

Winter Storage still far off!

That time of the year again - Hurricanes, cooler weather and great sailing winds, and time to think about going south or putting her on the hard in November!

Already at my marina - Old Bay - they are hauling out boats for Winter Storage - kids going back to school - hurricane season, or whatever the reason - this is the best time to be sailing on Chesapeake Bay - what a loss of good sailing to be hauled out so early!!!

Thank goodness hurricane Earl missed the Chesapeake. At my marina several owners had their boats hauled out in fear of the storm. My marina made it through Isabel - so I was not worried about Earl. Winter Storage can wait until Thanksgiving!

Dr. George Janssen C&C 35 "Nordic Nights"
docked at Old Bay Marina outside of Baltimore, MD

Last edited by Janssen; 09-04-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-05-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
It doesn't get any cheaper than Delatville. There are places further north that are "as cheap" but they tend to either be just as remote as Deltaville or pretty run down.

I've hauled out at Deltaville Boatyard and Schroder's Yacht Systems and would use either again with first choice going to Schroder's.

This year I'll most likely haul at HHN, but as others have suggested I'll plan to only be on land from late Dec to Mar.