SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Winter storage (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/45390-winter-storage.html)

brak 07-27-2008 08:59 PM

Winter storage

Where are the best and/or cheapest places to have a boat hauled out and stored on shore during the winter? I know it's a bit early but I like to plan ahead. (My marina is not an option - they have very little space to store boats and aren't keen on that in general)

jongoose 07-28-2008 06:28 AM

What is your location?

JohnRPollard 07-28-2008 07:13 AM

Brak,

You're in Solomon's, right? There used to be a number of good places to haul for the winter there (Spring Cove, Washburn's, etc), but things have changed down that way so much that I don't know if they're still options.

If you don't mind a short hike up the Bay, Herrington Harbour North (in Deale, MD) is vast -- I can't imagine that anyone has ever been denied winter haul out there due to overcapacity. They are friendly to the DIY crowd, and there is a West MArine as well as a number of other marine contractors right on site.

MysticGringo 07-28-2008 08:15 AM

This topic is like a back-to-school ad. You remember the dreaded feeling you got when you were on summer break, and saw your first back-to-school ad... and how it brought the end of the world with it, or atleast the end of summer.

Sorry to not add anything useful to the discussion, you just made me realize how little actual sailing I have done this summer yet.

brak 07-28-2008 12:36 PM

:) :)

Herrington definitely has space, but they are pretty darn expensive. I probably need to call around Solomons to see what's there. I really don't mind going anywhere reasonable on Chesapeake - so far found one relatively inexpensive place down in Deltaville. I'd rather go up than down, though.

I am also considering keeping the boat in the water, but I probably won't be able to come check up on her, which makes it less then ideal - plus in a slip as narrow as mine it's real easy to damage the boat in winter storm.

brak 07-28-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticGringo (Post 346716)
Sorry to not add anything useful to the discussion, you just made me realize how little actual sailing I have done this summer yet.

I am sure I've done less ;) 3 or 4 sails so far :) I sailed a lot more when I did not own a boat. Oh well.

Freesail99 07-28-2008 01:45 PM

I am in South Jersey it is around $600 for the winter season and haul out will cost you also.

brak 08-01-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freesail99 (Post 346828)
I am in South Jersey it is around $600 for the winter season and haul out will cost you also.

I'd be glad to find storage for $600 :)
So far its around $200 a month.

Sailormon6 08-02-2008 09:45 AM

Try Flag Harbor Yacht Haven, a few miles north of the nuclear power plant on the western shore. Their prices are about the same as everyones else's, but they're close to your location, they don't nickle-dime you to death with extra fees, and they allow you to work on your boat, as long as you keep your area clean and don't create environmental problems.

T37SOLARE 08-04-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

If you don't mind a short hike up the Bay, Herrington Harbour North (in Deale, MD) is vast -- I can't imagine that anyone has ever been denied winter haul out there due to overcapacity.
HHN can fill up, it happened to my brother a couple years ago. Ended up at Spring Cove in Solomons, nice marina, but too far to drive to work on it.

$600 in Jersey vs $200 a month on the bay, just haul in early December and launch in late March = $600-800. Being able to commute to the boat so you can do the work yourself and not having to pay someone, will save you big time in the end.