Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Maryland Yacht Club

Anyone here is a member of MYC? They seem to have really nice facilities in a good location? I'd appreciate any info on them (or, also, any marinas that may be in a general vicinity of that location).

I know about White Rocks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Anyone here is a member of MYC? They seem to have really nice facilities in a good location? I'd appreciate any info on them (or, also, any marinas that may be in a general vicinity of that location).

I know about White Rocks
Brak--Chef2sail is a member and can give you the scoop. Several Pearson owners I know sre members, too.

I keep my boat at Oak Harbor Marina, a little farther up Rock Creek from the infamous White Rocks and Crazy John. T37chef also keeps his boat at Oak Harbor. It's fairly small, family owned and operated, provides reliable repair service and is much more sheltered than White ROcks. It also usually has a waiting list for slips.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 08-17-2008
Sea Slacker

Guess it's time for me to get on the waiting list, then Looks like a nice place from Google satellite photo. I'll try to come check it out next weekend and also scout around for anything else in the area.
Old 08-17-2008
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
MYC is a very nice club, chef2sail (Dave) gave us a tour when we were there for the Sailnet Rendezvous this past June. Rock Creek is a nice location on the bay and easily navigable (sp?). If the wind is really kicking in the bay...you can always opt to head up the Patapsco. The location is not much for scenery unless you enjoy power plant and steel factories

We have been considering MYC but the cost is a bit high for us right now and besides, all the work I have been doing on the boat I would rather be at Oak Harbor, the owner is a sailor and knows his stuff and he gets me some sweet deals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-17-2008
Sea Slacker

I actually like powerplant/steel mill scenery. I am into the whole "post industrial" stuff - perhaps counterintuitively for a sailor, but plain shores with nothing but trees are only fun for so long. Plus, Baltimore harbor is within reach from up there. So, scenery is all good.

If any of you know of slips at Oak Harbor coming up (or want to be my reference ) - I'd appreciate it. Looking at the satellite image, it seems I'd need one of those slips facing directly outward, or north - which makes obtaining one even more difficult, I guess.
Old 08-17-2008
"Mentally Unbalanced"

Whats the length of ya boat mate?

I got dibs on the one on the outside on the Southern end. but until shes sells the boat I will patiently wait for it They just filled one of the outside slips with a powerboat after I turned it down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-17-2008
Sea Slacker

my boat is 35' long.
Why did you turn down the slip? Just curious.

Those outside slips face fairly open water, right? How deep is it out there?
Old 08-17-2008
"Mentally Unbalanced"

There are other slips you could fit and spend less $$$.

Water is a good 8' close to shore all the way back.

The marina is very well protected, one of the main reasons I went there instead of White Rocks Marina. The last Tropical Storm too come through the area with 50 mph winds reeked havoc at White Rocks while I slept peacefully aboard my boat in Oak Harbor. I keep the boat in the water year round there and have never had a problem with weather. The most annoying thing is the occasional PWC passing by with their wake. 99% of the boats a sailboats, I think there are 3-4 powerboats.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-17-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
brak...I would love to show you around MYC. I will be there next weekend also sans my wife who is working. It is a great club and nice place and we do have slips available, The cost is really no more expensive than Oak Harbor or anywhere else and for what you get and the protected new docks which and long finger so its safe getting on and off your boats its a good place. Lots of knowledgeable sailors,great mini vous and comraderie or go by yourself...we have all of that there.

I can discuss what we pay when we meet. Feel free to PM me so we can exchange phone numbers and talk.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-17-2008
"Mentally Unbalanced"

BTW...I think one of the best marinas in that area for sailors is Hammock Island marina. Unfortunately I cant fit but your boat could. Check them out, they are on Bodkin Creek. You may also consider Bodkin Yacht Club.

Photo by Joe McCary