Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Reasonable slips near South, Rhode, or West Rivers?

Hi everyone,
We're in the market for a boat, and we're going to need a slip, hopefully not terribly far from where we live. The most convenient locations would be on the South River, Rhode River, or West River. We live in a community where we may eventually be able to get a slip, but it might not be right away. So we're open to moorings even and slips that might be less fancy and on the inexpensive side, until we can get something where we live.

I've been poking around trying to find marinas, and have found some online, but not all marinas are easily found this way, so I thought I'd ask here.

Our boat will be in the low 30s in length, under 11' beam, and shoal draft (around 4 feet-ish).

Any suggestions on a less-expensive place to keep the boat in these locations for a year? We don't need pools and palm trees, just a safe place to moor the boat. Because it's temporary, we'd consider a mooring instead of slip, as well as of course a slip.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks!
-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I think the word "reasonable" does not go very often together with slip prices in those areas

FWIW I did not like having my boat on Rhode river - it took us a very long time to get out into the bay (once you are out of the actual river there is still that giant minefield of crab pots, which are thrown all over with total disregard to presumably float free marked channel). It was about an hour before any sailing could start, and also (imho) water there is some of the least pleasant in the bay - brown and muddy.

Casa Rio and Holiday Hill marinas are in that area, as well as Harge and a few others.
Old 08-23-2008
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
I think the word "reasonable" does not go very often together with slip prices in those areas

FWIW I did not like having my boat on Rhode river - it took us a very long time to get out into the bay (once you are out of the actual river there is still that giant minefield of crab pots, which are thrown all over with total disregard to presumably float free marked channel). It was about an hour before any sailing could start, and also (imho) water there is some of the least pleasant in the bay - brown and muddy.

Casa Rio and Holiday Hill marinas are in that area, as well as Harge and a few others.
I hear you about the Rhode. It's just that we were planning to buy with the knowledge that we'd have a much less expensive slip in our community--they're not fancy by any stretch, but don't cost much. We're now thinking it might be a year or two before we get a slip here, so we're just trying to find something that is on the less expensive side (of course there's no such thing as "cheap" for a slip. I've done some calling around, and slips can range from $2400 to $5000 per year from one marina to the next for the same size boat, and that's outside of Annapolis. I'm not expecting something really cheap, but just want to make sure I explore all the options and find what works best for us. Also want to make sure we factor in the cost of the slip in our plans, assuming we don't get one in our community.
Old 08-23-2008
Sea Slacker

$2400 is probably about as cheap as you can get for a 30-ish foot slip. May be $2000 in someone's private yard, though I've never seen that.
Old 08-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
If you are looking for a less expansive option (+/-$2K) in that area, you might consider inquiring about a mooring at Hartge Yacht Yard in Galesville (West River). They also might have slips in the <$3K range for boats your size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-25-2008
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
If you are looking for a less expansive option (+/-$2K) in that area, you might consider inquiring about a mooring at Hartge Yacht Yard in Galesville (West River). They also might have slips in the <$3K range for boats your size.
Thanks--I'll check them out! Do you happen to know--if you're boat is on a mooring, do they give you a spot to keep your dinghy to get to/from? I'm not sure how that works for annual moorings.
Old 08-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Thanks--I'll check them out! Do you happen to know--if you're boat is on a mooring, do they give you a spot to keep your dinghy to get to/from? I'm not sure how that works for annual moorings.
Yes, they have dinghy storage racks, included with the price of the mooring. Also included is a winter slip (Dec-March).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-25-2008
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Yes, they have dinghy storage racks, included with the price of the mooring. Also included is a winter slip (Dec-March).
Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-26-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Another vote for Hartge's - we had some friends who did the mooring/winter slip liveaboard there for a year and liked it a lot. The downside, and the reason for the low cost, is the isolation. By land, Galesville is a pretty small town. By water, you have to go down the river a good 30-45 min to get to the bay for serious sailing. On the upside it's well sheltered from storms.

They're a working yard, and our friends were satisfied with whatever they had done.
Old 08-26-2008
Sea Slacker

I am not sure Hartge is low cost. I've checked them out and prices were on a high side, considering the long slog to the bay (a lot more than 45 minutes on a 30+ footer), very tight docking quarters and average docks. They are an interesting and historic place, for sure.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.