SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

FALL 2008 - Sailnet Rendezvous Chesapeake!

11K views 115 replies 21 participants last post by  MtnMike 
#1 ·
Hello friends,

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a Fall raft up - Late September? October?

It's a beautiful time to be out on the bay.... Sept 20 is a raft-up for my local club....so that would be out for me. but....

...I could make something work on most other weekends in Oct, Sept...

I would propose a more "southerly" destination - St Michael's for instance - to include some of the folks that couldn't make our last feast! Solomons could also be a great idea...!?

Any other suggestions? Times? Locations? Interest?

All the best,
craig

#2 ·
Craig,

Donna and I would be up for something in the fall. St Michaels is great. Herrington Harbor or West/ Rhode River would also be a great central place for those coming from north or south. Herrington wouldnt reaquire the trek up Eastern bay St Micheals would. Solomons would be stretch for us as it is 70 miles or so, not as much daylight as summer and would be hard for anyone from the Patapsco / Rock Hall northward to make in a weekend trip.

I will help organize it with someone if people are willing to come. We had a great time at our club in June. Of course we will only come if you bring the "tunes" again.

Dave

#4 ·
Hi group..names Clay from the old(discontinued)email list... Here's what I suggested on that 'List' awhile back...
=====================================================
Re: Chesapeake Raftup by: "Clay" 2008-06-12 06:48:00

There's a little known 'happening' that occurs on the first weekend following a full moon after the memorial weekend. By a local music group, called the Crab Alley Boys that plays in Shaw Bay... We found this by accident... Thoughts for a raft up??

Clay
S/V 'Tango'

#6 ·
Hi group..names Clay from the old(discontinued)email list... Here's what I suggested on that 'List' awhile back...
=====================================================
Re: Chesapeake Raftup by: "Clay" 2008-06-12 06:48:00

There's a little known 'happening' that occurs on the first weekend following a full moon after the memorial weekend. By a local music group, called the Crab Alley Boys that plays in Shaw Bay... We found this by accident... Thoughts for a raft up??

Clay
S/V 'Tango'
For the record, this would be October 4th weekend....

(October 2nd is full moon..)

craig

#5 ·
There's a little known 'happening' that occurs on the first weekend following a full moon after the memorial weekend. By a local music group,
:) :) ;)
Wow.... do we have to wear all black? Does it start at midnight?

What if we don't know the secret handshake? Can we still come? My tall eurotrash elevator boots are in for a repair, does that matter??? :eek:

...kidding...:D

What kind of music? Is there a place to meet ashore and BBQ / hang out? Or would it be an "anchoring" type of event?

Thanks for the idea!

craig

#7 ·
C2
I'm booked through September 20th (also my birthday as well as the same raftup you speak about).
MMR and I will try and make it to whatever else comes around and if she can't I'll join you on your boat, or you and I can go on mine.

On the other hand, the raftup on Sep 20th is looking like Eagle Cove behind Gibson's Island, no reason the sailnet folks can't anchor there also and we can dinghy over :)

#8 ·
I might make it.

If South(ish) on the Bay is the choice and folks are interested, I could lead an overnight down on Friday for those who would like to play but haven't sailed through the night before. VHF "buddy-channel" and prospect of support if someone has a problem.

No commercial interest, just lots of miles under the keel and love sailing at night.

#42 ·
Sorry to be late in the game, but in case it helps plans later in the season I often leave Friday afternoon and sail well into the night, anchoring anywhere between midnight and early morning hours. Nap/sleep/breakfast/brunch/whatever makes most of Saturday a "tourist" day. Early start on Sunday morning (wind permitting) makes a reasonable if sometimes long sail home.

Based in Annapolis, this puts Worton Creek and Solomons in easy reach of a weekend excursion.

Happy to lead a group who haven't done an overnight before, recognizing that I'll be at the SSCA GAM and at the boat show. Other weekends okay, subject to delivery contracts.

#10 ·
We'd potentially be interested if the rendezvous were in the upper-mid-Bay area.

As for St. Michael's, the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival is the first weekend in October at CBMM. More than likely we'll head over for that event.

#13 ·
Ok...
I'm gonna firm up my work calendar and propose some dates....and locations...in the next few days...

If anyone else wants to post:

"Absolutely Can't Make It Dates"
"Absolutely Can't Make It Locations"

Please feel free. Also, if anyone knows of social things / concerts etc. in the time frame we're considering (sept/Oct) like the ones posted above that may be of interest to us please post here! (I think that's a run-on sentence).

Thanks to all for the suggestions/ideas. Keep em' comin'!

All the best,
Craig

#19 · (Edited)
SSCA Annual Annapolis Gam in Edgewater Sept 19-20

Also, if anyone knows of social things / concerts etc. in the time frame we're considering (sept/Oct) like the ones posted above that may be of interest to us please post here!
The SSCA (Seven Seas Cruising Association) is holding their "22nd Annual Annapolis Gam" at Camp Letts in Edgewater on Friday and Saturday September 19-20th. The camp is accesible by land, of course, but many attendees will be sailing in and anchoring near the camp which is on the Rhode River at Bear Neck Point.

There is a day of events; seminars, classes, demonstrations, flea market, lunch & dinner, music, and a whole big bunch of cruising people and welcomed wannabees.

Non members are very welcome! And since it is not being held at Port Annapolis during the Sailboat Show the cost of attending is a lot less - only $20 for non members.

Details here: The Seven Seas Cruising Association - Gams and Workshops

#14 · (Edited)
We would be interested...just about anywhere North of the Bay Bridge and South to Herrington Harbor.

FWIW my pick would be the Wye.

Any thoughts on the weekend of the Annapolis Boat Show, October 9-13???

Dates we cannot make it:
Weekend of September 20th
Weekend of September 27th (CBTSC Cruise)

Any wanna join us for our traditional Thanksgiving weekend sail to Swan Creek? Last year it was a warm 34 degrees

#15 ·
Another vote for "not Sept 20th." And ironically, not Oct 4 for us - we have an out-of-town guest we promised to take to Baltimore.

Anyone up for the same Friday night of Boat Show (10 Oct) gathering we did last year?

#16 ·
Boat show, I'm in.
I haul Nov 10-17, so I'm out of the running for the balmy 34 degree Thanksgiving trip (I hope to eat turkey in Cancun anyway).
I'm out 6, 13, 20 (other than where my YC is) Sept, open first two weeks of Oct as probably the best choice - but then I start getting ready for winter/haulout.
Location wise, I'm good for within 30 miles of Annapolis as after that it's just to far in the limited sunlight times (i.e., by the time we go there it would be dark).

#22 ·
Hi All...
Well the schedule is filling up for September and October.

Here is a proposal:

Dates:
October 11 and 12
Saturday and Sunday

Option 1) Wye River - many nice anchorages in the area
Option 2) Near Mears Marina North of Kent Is. - I'm sure there are anchorages.
Option 3) Something to do with the boat show in Annapolis? Any ideas?

I welcome your thoughts and or suggestions.

Other dates in October would rule this out for me...I'll be traveling a great deal and other weekends are already booked. September is full as well. (Of course you all could just plan it another day for that very reason! :) :D )

Thanks,

#26 ·
Friday night of Boat Show, at Port A again

Sure, it was fun last year, lets do it again. BYOB and we'll order pizza.

Directions are here: Welcome to PortAnnapolis Marina

and if you click on the tab marked "maps" you can get a marina layout. We'll try to get one of the gazebos - a bit nicer than the spot we were in last year because they have light, and one is even screened to keep bugs out.

#62 ·
Sure, it was fun last year, lets do it again. BYOB and we'll order pizza.

Directions are here: Welcome to PortAnnapolis Marina

and if you click on the tab marked "maps" you can get a marina layout. We'll try to get one of the gazebos - a bit nicer than the spot we were in last year because they have light, and one is even screened to keep bugs out.
Seems like the final word for the boat show meet up.
Saturday October 11th at what time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.