Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008

Gadagirl is on a distinguished road
Looking for Chesapeake Bay Live Aboard Marinas

Any suggestions on live aboard Marinas within a reasonable commute (reasonable being 45 min. or less) from either Columbia, MD or Lexington Park, MD. I may need to decide between two different job offers. I have been given some ideas from another site but I am collecting as much information as I can. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks, Judy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2008
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Lexington Park means Solomons or the St Mary's City area. I'm not sure about liveaboard space there, although I believe there are places.

For Columbia it will be a commute at the extreme end of your criteria from Annapolis, the Magothy River, or Baltimore. In Baltimore talk to Baltimore Marine Center or the Anchorage. In the Magothy talk to Magothy Marina. In Annapolis, try Eastport Yacht Center, Port Annapolis, Annapolis Landing Marina, and Jabins Yacht Yard.
Old 09-02-2008

Thanks for the information. I will deal with the extreme commute if the money is better in Columbia. Living in Virginia now, did a long commute on 95 for years! I can deal with it again with some nice music for the ride and knowing that when I arrive home I'll be on the water I'm really shooting for Lexington though.
Old 09-02-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We have liveaboards at the Maryland Yacht Club on Rock Creek outside of Baltimore. Less than 30 minutes to comolbia with not a bad drive (Route 100) as far as traffic.

PM me if you want more info

Manhattan Sailing Club

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-02-2008

Thanks Dave! It sounds perfect! I'd rather avoid a bad commute if I can. I'll see what the offers are and then decide from there.
Old 09-02-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We have liveaboards at the Maryland Yacht Club on Rock Creek outside of Baltimore. Less than 30 minutes to comolbia with not a bad drive (Route 100) as far as traffic.

PM me if you want more info

Manhattan Sailing Club

Dave
Looks like the link is for "manhattan" sailing club.

Zahnisers in Solomons has liveaboards (and for living aboard they are a great marina)
Old 11-24-2009

Firefaery53 is on a distinguished road
Question Looking for a Live Aboard Marina

This time next year we will be looking for a Marina on the Eastern Shore. . .I will have to drive to Denton every day to take our grand daughter to school. If I don't have to drive 404 that would be great!We will have a 44 ft sailboat. . .if any one has any info please let us know....
Old 11-24-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Judy,

You could also try the Baltimore Yacht Basin. It would probably be the easiest commute to Columbia. Right off I-95. It is live aboard friendly and affordable, but the marina itself is an acquired taste (as is much of Baltimore).

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Old 11-25-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Any suggestions on live aboard Marinas within a reasonable commute (reasonable being 45 min. or less) from either Columbia, MD or Lexington Park, MD. I may need to decide between two different job offers. I have been given some ideas from another site but I am collecting as much information as I can. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks, Judy
If you're going to lexington park, your best bet is one of the marinas in Solomon's Islands. Have stayed at Zahnisers and it's great with a good reastaurant and I know they have live-aboards not sure about Spring Cove but it's really nice. You might also try our marina (Herrington Harbour South) but its further away and expensive.
If you're gonna be in Columbia check out the Magothy River especially Magothy marina . It's an easy shot down route 100. I live in Baltimore and I would advise against keeping a boat on the Patapsco if you can possibly avoid it especially anywhere in Baltimore harbor. Lived on our boat in Anchorage marina for 4 months while our Baltimore townhouse was being build and the water was so filthy as to make us sick just to look at it. Plus it's a long way out to the bay dodging cargo ships along the way.
The Magothy is much nicer. I lived in Severna Park for 20 years in a waterfront house at the far end of the Magothy and it took us less than an hour from our dock to the Bay. The Magothy is also a lot cleaner and quieter than the Patapsco.
Annapolis is great but marina space there is big bucks. Even more than our marina
If you need any more info feel free to PM me
Azi
Old 11-25-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
Lived on our boat in Anchorage marina for 4 months while our Baltimore townhouse was being build and the water was so filthy as to make us sick just to look at it.
Funny you mention that, this past weekend we spent the night on the boat at the public docks in the Inner Harbor...I was stunned when I could see my rudder, prop and most of the keel in the water! WTH

Photo by Joe McCary