Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
this weekend - unwelcome guest Hanna

Keeping an eye on this one. I'm not too worried about our own preparedness but there are rarely-visited boats on either side of us.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
Keeping an eye on this one. I'm not too worried about our own preparedness but there are rarely-visited boats on either side of us.
That old line, that we all can never seem to throw away, well it may be the time to use it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
went to check my boat and adjust lines. boat next to mine is something that used to be quite beautiful and seaworthy back in the day. however, it is long neglected and owner haven't showed up once during this season (there is a duck nest in his cockpit). Well, I went aboard to check and of course ALL his lines were completely chafed through - holding by a single thread at chokes and/or around piles.

I tied him off a bit better (as much as I could) on the side opposite my boat, but that's not much consolation.
Old 09-05-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
I won't tell you about how crazy one of my dock mates is....

.. ok just a little..

Went aboard because it was almost 9pm and no-one had been to the boat yet. I felt bad.. but the dock lines to this gorgeous 45 footer had been secured to the pilings only by threading the dock line through the braided loop. Needless to say these loops had slipped down to just above the water line. So I went aboard to raise the lines to the top of the pilings and.. to the best I could.. properly tie the boat off...

She came an hour later and demanded to know who had retied her lines... wasn't too pleasant about it. (Although all of us in the area helped out to make sure her boat was secure...)

ANYWAY... all my other dock mates are sooooo cool... they all got a good chuckle when the guy in the boat next to her said "I did it... I was concerned"....

Sorry Blue Boat Skipper...we were worried and your boat wasn't secure. We hated to board... but we thought you weren't coming.

Ok.. there.. it's out.

now.. here's the good news..

Experimental Tropical Cyclone Storm Surge Probabilities
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
Old 09-05-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
I like how the graphic is based off of "SLOSH" models. The guys at NOAA must think they're pretty funny.
Old 09-05-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Lots of rain in NJ right now. Tomorrow should be a fun day! I'm kind of surprised at the number of people who didn't show up today to secure their boats.
Old 09-05-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I was amazed today - I was the only person at my marina doing anything at all. No one even bothered to take down their furled sails. I took down mine. I also have a tarp covering my cockpit which is a bit high windage, I did all I could to tie it off better but I can't remove it (until new hardtop is in place).

Still, weird that there were no people. At least checking lines? Marina personnel wasn't too concerned either.
Old 09-06-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
yeah, it's creepy around here too. Some folks have done nothing at all, others showed up and we had a boat prep party last night. 3 of us on the dock, who've been in storms before, have spidered extra docklines to our boats, extra long for surge (we have 10), and dropped headsails and biminis. The boats to either side of us still had triangles of jib exposed ... at least till we took Free's suggestion and used some scrap line.

This morning we have the proverbial calm before the storm, and a scrap of red sky at morning.
Old 09-06-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I was down at the marina yesterday doing the usual, was pleasantly surprised at how many were there looking after their boats.

We had two large Oak trees taken down yesterday just in time. Isabel left us with 5 trees down (big one), two on the house which one hit the chimney, which cut it off like a knife, which then landed on both our cars, flatten my wifes VW. So here I sit @ 9:20 AM, not a leaf is moving???
(funny thing about Isabel, we had $40,000 damage to the house, $25,000 damage to automobiles...not a scratch on our $400 boat)

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 09-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Just went down and re-cheked. The Magothy is all frothed up... winds are picking up out of the East.

My boat looks good...not too worried as there two live-aboards next to me. They'll keep an eye on everything.

Rain is steady now...sometimes it comes down pretty strong.

I love