Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Here's Chesapeake Bay Magazine 2010 Best of the Bay restaurant list. I can't vouch for all of them as I haven't been to them all.

Best Restaurants for Crabcakes

Chick & Ruth's (Annapolis, Md.)
Smithfield Station (Smithfield, Va.)
Annie's (Kent Narrows)
Skipper's Pier (Deale, Md.)
Captain's Table (Solomons, Md.)
Ken's Back Porch Cafe (Annapolis, Md.)
Muskrat Alley (Rock Hall, Md.)
The Inn at Pirates Cove (Galesville, Md.)
Boatyard Bar & Grill (Annapolis, Md.)

Best Restaurants for Steamed Crabs

Cantler's Riverside Inn (Annapolis, Md.)
The Crab Claw (St. Michaels, Md.)
Waterman's Crab House (Rock Hall, Md.)
Harris Crab House (Kent Narrows)
Mike's Crab House (Riva, Md.)
Harrison's Chesapeake House (Tilghman, Md.)
Stoney's Seafood House (Broomes Island and Solomons, Md.)
Kentmoor Restaurant (Kent Island)

Best Restaurants for Maryland Crab Soup

Davis' Pub (Annapolis, Md.)
Harbor Shack (Rock Hall, Md.)
Carrol's Creek Cafe (Annapolis, Md.)
Stoney's Seafood House (Broomes Island and Solomons, Md.)
Fisherman's Inn & Crab Deck (Kent Narrows)
Kentmoor (Kent Island)
Woody's Crab House (Northeast, Md.)

Best Restaurants for Cream of Crab Soup

The Narrows (Kent Narrows)
Annie's (Kent Narrows)
The Inn at Pirates Cove (Galesville, Md.)
Surf Rider (Hampton, Va.)
Thursday's (Galesville, Md.)
Mango's (Herrington Harbour South)

Best Restaurants for Oysters

McGarvey's (Annapolis, Md.)
Harrison's Chesapeake House (Tilghman, Md.)
Middleton's Tavern (Annapolis, Md.)

Best Restaurants for Burgers

Davis' Pub (Annapolis, Md.)
Boatyard Bar & Grill (Annapolis, Md.)
The Galley (Deltaville, Va.)
McGarvey's (Annapolis, Md.)

Best Restaurants for the View

The Chart House (Annapolis, Md.)
Hemingway's (Kent Island)
Mears Great Oak Landing (Fairlee Creek)
Stoney's Solomons Pier (Solomons, Md.)

Best Dockside Bars

Red Eye's Dock Bar (Kent Narrows)
Pusser's (Annapolis, Md.)
Tiki Bar (Solomons, Md.)
Jellyfish Joel's (Mears Great Oak Landing)
Mango's (Herrington Harbour South)
The Jetty (Kent Narrows)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I can never figure out why Cantler's and Chick & Ruth's keep showing up so high on ratings.

Mexican Cafe is closing - a CVS Pharmacy is going in that spot.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Funny, I judged the Crab Soup contest at Sandy Point State Park last year (Seafood Festival) and Riderwood Retirement Community in Silver Spring won the Vegetable Crab Soup and came in 2nd with their Cream of Crab.

Still, I think in general...most of the restaurants around the bay are predicable and okay at best. There are few gems, but few they are.

Thanks for putting the list together WWilson!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-19-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Thanks T37 - they have been added to the pdf...Chesapeake Bay Eats

Last edited by wwilson; 05-21-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I can never figure out why Cantler's and Chick & Ruth's keep showing up so high on ratings.
Dave - I agree. Cantler's is living off a reputation that they enjoyed in the 90's. My wife and I go back every now and then expecting what we used to get. The kitchen doesn't care anymore - why bother when the place is flooded with people who love it for the view, or the hangout, or the tradition, or because they cook crabs there, which seems to be less than a culinary challenge anyway (hope that last phrase doesn't get me flamed).

Your welcome Chef and thanks for the thanks.

Last edited by wwilson; 05-19-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
Here's Chesapeake Bay Magazine 2010 Best of the Bay restaurant list.
Thanks for the list! Great timing too~! With the summer around the corner we should all see how many places we can visit and report back on and add to our own list!
Old 05-19-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
Thanks Tod,

I can't see a way to add an attachment (other than image) to the e-mial alternatives that Sailnet offers.
Hey Tod, this might work It is an Excel Spreadsheet (2003). I just copy and pasted the PDF into Excel and saved...

This is a link, available for 500 downloads and is on-line for 1 month...

https://download.yousendit.com/bFFOZ296b0JubHp2Wmc9PQ
Old 05-21-2010
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
The only strong negative I have experienced has been Riptides in Edgewater.

We walked in and were seated but when no one came to our table in 30+ minutes we just left!!
Since closed and re-opened as Coconut Joe's.

I'll pass.

Went back to the Edgewater last Sunday after sailing. Same as it ever was!!

Nice to see the thread is alive and kicking!!

Last edited by WouldaShoulda; 05-21-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

Beyond Annapolis

Here are a few more from the log book that extend the range of the "Eats" list.
Chesapeake Good Eats

McGregors in Havre de Grace Good pub food and beer & ale selection with an outdoor deck and view of the Susquehanna R.

Port Urbana Restaurant, Urbanna, VA Steamed Mussels & calamari - washed down with sweet tea - a very good little place.

The Chesapeake, Cape Charles, VA A jazz oriented restaurant with live music offered on weekends the fare was very good, a notch above "sailor food" but not pretentious.

Mallards Onancock, VA A must if you make it this for. It's right on the dock. The owner is a legit chef - not just a fry cook and it shows in his fare - excellent.

Stoney's Brooms Island, MD THis is their original of 4 restaurants. Revamped a few seasons ago with dock-space for a dozen or so boats. Great outdoor deck and bar and good seafood dishes. Keep going up the Pax past Solomons to Island Ck. to find it.

Vera's White Sands, Solomons, MD. Completely refurbished under new ownership since Vera's passing ('05). Keep going up the Pax past Solomons to St Leonard's Ck. Sandwiches & traditional fare served simply, but a great deck overlooking the Ck. with outdoor dining and of course cocktails. Plenty of dock-space at no cost with dinner. Easy anchorage after dinner.

Fish Whistle, Chestertown: Good food, uptown a short, pleasant walk from the dock. They served a dozen of us from SMSA one Saturday and did it well. BBQ brisket & burrito for us (one each). Pretty good food and prices.

City Tavern, Philadelphia A must if you get to Philly - the place is a short walk from Pens Landing marina and dates all the way back to the beginning of the country. The Constitutional Convention Delegates dined and watered here. Excellent beer, ale and stout offerings and very good 18th century fare. The City Tavern Restaurant And Online Store, Philadelphia Pennsylvania

Dirty Dick's, Delaware City A very typical dockside seafood establishment, but well worth the visit. Good seafood and burgers and a nice outdoor dining deck where you can watch shipping going up and down the Bay at close quarter. Don't hang out in that nasty Reedy Island Anchorage anymore. Take a tie for the night at Del. CIty Marina, even I can get my six foot deep lead-belly in (on the half-tide).

Olivia's Restaurant, Urbanna, VA Short pleasant walk to town - seafood done very well, a nice little place to dine in one of the prettiest little towns on the Bay.

Charlotte Hotel Dining Room, Onancock Excellent food a real chef in the kitchen - no fry cook here. Scallops, spinach salad, caprese for dinner. This food gets an "A" anywhere.
Old 06-22-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Catamarnas Restaurant in Solomons Island, MD

I have to share this story...

During our recent visit to Solomons I was craving a Burger, it was during the week, a Tuesday in fact. Not a lot was open, it was getting late, about 2:00 PM and I was seriously hungry, so were the kids.

I saw Catamarans Restaurant was advertising it had a new "executive" chef in town. I thought, well they should have a good burger, a quick look at their menu and I saw a Sirloin "Build Your Own Burger" so in we went. They were not busy, just a few tables, maybe 10 people including us (2 kids and wifey and me).

Our young server arrived fairly promptly and took our drink order and came back with it and took our food order. We were on vacation, the weather was nice and we had just enjoyed a swim at Sporing Cove Marina, life couldn't get much better. I was looking forward to that Sirloin Burger with Blue Cheese and caramelized onions with my cold beer!

35 minutes later our kids "Kraft" Macaroni & Cheese (I swear it was Kraft, like the kind I used to eat after a night of hard partying) with some nicely sautéed green beans. (I had to request a vegetable, they serve the kids Mac & Cheese with Fries????).

In between the ordering and the arrival of the kids food I went to the restroom and noticed the "Chef" sitting in the foyer playing on his phone or something? I didn't say anything, just went on my way wondering? On my way back I saw a signed picture of Gordon Ramsay, a chef I admire very much, his Hells Kitchen series aside. The I noticed the "Executive Chef" of the restaurant had been a contestant on the show...Twice! His name Robert Hesse. This intrigued me.

45 minutes later my burger finally arrived. Needles to say I was not pleased, but I'm not one to complain...I know how it can be sometimes. I had ordered my burger Medium, with Blue Cheese & Onions. Very Well Done is what I got, a couple of crumbles of cheese and a few leftover onions. Even my wife was discussed (thats not a easy thing to do). The burger looked about the size of a piece of Kingsford Charcoal on a bun about three sizes to big...it was pathetic!

The server finally came over to the table to inquire if everything was alright and I had to say something. She asked if I wanted to see the Chef? I said sure, send him out, we can talk Chef to "Chef". I waited another 10 minutes for him to come...nadda...

The events following I wont write about here, but I will tell you I confronted him face to face and he was not pleased, needless to say neither was I. They did send out another pair of Burgers, still over cooked. I ate half reluctantly, but my wife insisted (she is the more rational one of course).
They did remove the burgers from our bill and the kids did get their lunch, even if it was made from a box.

Here's what gets me really ticked off...people who call themselves "Chefs" and have no business doing so. I completely understand a kitchen having an off day, but you try to fix the situation. Offer the customer something, make it right, a beer on the house, free dessert, whatever...but don't just ignore it and curse your staff (or your customers..duh) because they want what they paid for!

I've mentioned several times in this thread and elsewhere my displeasure with the typical quality of food found around the bay eateies...they are few and far between, and its really sad. As a Professional Chef and an Educator I find myself frustrated beyond belief what to do about it? I like to eat out once and a while, especially on vacation. I don't expect food to dazzle me every time I sit down, to be like the food I cooked in restaurants I have worked and operated in (The Inn at Little Washington, Lespinasse, Château de Sureau, to name a few). If I order a freaking Sirloin Burger advertised for $10.00 as it was at Catamaran's it should be GREAT! People like Mr. Hesse make my profession look bad I don't appreciate it and thats why I had to write this.

Good luck if you choose to give the restaurant a chance, heck I might even do so, but not anytime soon.

BTW, until you, the customer really starts to say something I don't think much will change. These restaurants need to wake up and realize that opening a box of cheese sticks from Sysco or US Foods is not cooking! Hire people who are trained, that care about what they are serving, understand customer service, and pay them what they deserve!!!

Sorry for the rant...but it seemed the appropriate place to do so

If you disagree I will gladly delete my post

Photo by Joe McCary