Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
A couple of additions to Wayne's list:

The Wild Orchid has moved from Eastport to Westgate Circle on West Street. The new place is HUGE compared to the old. I haven't been in there yet. It will be interesting to see if they are still over priced and under deliver.

River Watch is quite good for burgers at the end of Nanticoke Rd on Middle River.

Fado's Irish Pub on West St near Westgate Circle is a very nice place. Decent food at good prices. Free WiFi that is really fast. From the door bear left up two steps and head toward the bar on the raised section. Lots of power outlets on the back side of the column. World Cup and other international sports on TVs behind the bar.

Mexican Cafe on Bay Ridge current plans to close in mid-July (a CVS is going in that spot); they are relocating to West Annapolis.

Repeat of what is already on the list: Parthenon is a good Greek place on Bay Ridge; not well advertised but they do take-out. Reasonable walk from the Back Creek Nature Park landing between Port A and Jabin's. During the day, walk down to the new Fawcett location and you can probably find a ride back to the park and your dink.

I'm not sure how or even if this fits into Chesapeake Bay Eats, but Shuttle Map & Free Fare Zone shows the free shuttle routes for boaters around Annapolis.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2010

4arch is on a distinguished road
My wife and I aren't big shellfish fans (I know, I know, boaters on the Chesapeake who don't like crabs?!) so we end up just bringing/cooking our own food on most of our cruises.

In a lot of the cruising destinations, especially on the eastern shore, the only "nice" restaurant in town is the touristy dockside seafood place. We may treat ourselves to breakfast or lunch out at the local diner/bar but we've learned to avoid seafood restaurants for non-seafood items. Your options tend to be low end (at best) bar food at not all that cheap prices. If I go to a seafood place I'm not expecting the non-seafood choices to be plentiful or high-end, but at least put out a decent burger and some fresh (preferably local!) veggie sides.
Old 06-27-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
With the past week's temps near or above 3 digits, we took the only afternoon with even the smallest break, Friday was just a bit cooler. We had a great sail of about 5 hours.

After leaving the boat we decided to look for a new place. We love Pirate's Cove, but wanted a change. After driving around for almost an hour we found ourselves in Edgewater in front of Fuji, a Japanese Steak House. We had a delightful dinner, the wife had Hibachi Shrimp and I had Sushi/Sashimi combination plater. Her shrimp dinner was great and my sushi/sashimi dinner was very fresh and tasty. We had a good time, but felt the place was a bit loud (hard walls and slate floor). Our bill for 2 was a bit high for a random dinner, $75 including tip. But defiantly a nice place and worth another stop.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
snip...

It seemed much more interesting to read the SailNetters reviews than CBM's (commercially influenced?) opinions anyway.
In the spirit of providing our own Sailnet view vs, relying on potentially slanted magazine reviews, I relied on the magazine review and tried the Skipper's Pier this weekend. ;-)

It was listed as #10 on the list of best Crabcakes in the CBM magazine. The place is pretty much the typical waterfront seafood restaurant/dock bar type decor and the typical large crowds that gather at such places on weekends. Even so, we seemed to catch a lull in the crowd and were seated in 10 minutes or so, at about 7:00PM.

I had the crabcake, shrimp and oyster basket and my wife had sautee'd scallops and we were both very pleased. I haven't had fried seafood for quite a while so I wanted to satisfy that craving, and was happy to have the option of fried or broiled crabcake. The fried crabcakes were very lightly breaded with just enough filler to hold the lumps of crabmeat together and it and the shrimp and oysters were perfectly cooked. The scallop's my wife ordered were sauteed to perfection, served over a grilled potato slice and accompanied with corn salsa. Sweet and succulent.

Skipper's Pier is definitely a place we'll visit again and next time I plan to try their version of shrimp and grits. We'll see how that goes, since I make a rule of not eating crabcakes when I go down to the Carolina coast, so we'll see how they do with this southern speciality up here.
Old 06-29-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake Good Eats Update

Here is an update for the Chesapeake Good Eats list. It includes the flip/flop correction for the CBM breakfast/crab-cakes SNAFU and the great reviews since: thanks chef, mid, auspicious, joe.

Chesapeake Good Eats list

I sorted it by location this time - hopefully more useful and in time for the upcoming 4th of July cruising (refresh the browser or it will look like the old list).

We are off to the Choptank R. on Thursday for a week of sailing, eating, (imbibing) and fireworks at Oxford on the 3rd then Cambridge on the 4th. We listen on 09 (yeah 16 too... until it drives you batty).
Old 06-29-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Nice Wayne, thanks for putting it together. Have fun on the Eastern Shore, I think we're headed up the Chester or maybe Still Pond?
Old 06-29-2010
Mermaid Hunter

Wayne, my friend, step slowly away from the keyboard. Pour yourself a nice glass of something, and click 'edit'.

Just about everything you have listed in Edgewater should be in Annapolis/Eastport.

You've got one "Blatimore" for which you owe me a glass of wine. Fortunately I missed the laptop.

Sam's on the Waterfront is shown in Annapolis and CHM. Pick one.

Sometimes you list Pirates Cove and sometimes Pirate's Cove.

Check your three Stoney's ratings and make sure they are right - locations are confusing.

And one more for the record:

Yellowfin in Edgewater MD, on South River just above Rt 2 bridge (watch the overhead clearance!) has outstanding, well-priced appetizers at happy hour. The place is a bit of a meet-market and the dinner menu is overpriced. Happy hour apps in the bar are a favorite 'dinner' for us. Pull into Liberty Marina or anchor in the river tucked behind the marina.

Thanks for caring for this list.

Old 06-29-2010
Mermaid Hunter

Oh -- if I can get the generator bolted back together in time we'll be in Whitehall Bay for the weekend. Look for Auspicious and stop by for a visit. If the weather holds I'll have the battle flag flying:

If there are enough folks we'll sponsor a dinghy raft-up behind the boat.

Old 06-29-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Wayne, my friend, step slowly away from the keyboard. Pour yourself a nice glass of something, and click 'edit'.
Yikes - thanks though Dave. I cleverly [?] wrote some visual basic code to help in transferring the reviews from text format to Microsoft Excel. I hope the inconsistencies in location are what the OPs provided. In any case it is time for me to "write some more code", I guess (or better code). I'll make the fixes in the next update.

OK - fixed and updated again.

Last edited by wwilson; 06-29-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
...Look for Auspicious and stop by for a visit. If the weather holds I'll have the battle flag flying:
Hey - that's a real mainsail on her Dave, congratulations on resisting the HR arm twist for the other.