Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
If anybody treks through Clarksville, MD (32 and 108) en route to their boat, watch out for a restaurant on 108 called Great Sage. It's vegetarian. Who thinks of these things???
Thanks for the warning.

Those joints are usually adorned with chrystals and Mother Jones newspapers as cues to the otherwise unsuspecting.

Healthy?? Maybe.

But without meat, who wants to live!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2011
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Ah ha...I hate that...just call it what it is. Its like kids menus, another bad idea...my kids can eat the same good stuff we eat...I despise "kids" menus!
I agree. Kids portions maybe, but kids are capable of eating all sorts of things if they're taught to try new things. Our son used to be very picky when he was little. One day his mom just said to him, "do you really want to miss out on all these foods that everyone around is you going to enjoy?" That's all it took. From then on, he'd try anything.

Of course, the downside is that he'll now pick the most expensive items on a menu--not because of the price, but because he recognizes the best ingredients. That's what we get for opening our big mouths!
Old 07-12-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Of course, the downside is that he'll now pick the most expensive items on a menu--not because of the price, but because he recognizes the best ingredients. That's what we get for opening our big mouths!

LOL...I feel the pain, but its worth it
Old 07-12-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Something you all may find interesting...

From the Bay, For The Bay Dine Out. | Maryland Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Service
Old 07-12-2011
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Cool, I'll have to remember to look out for that in October. I like it.
Old 07-13-2011
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
Thanks for the warning.

Those joints are usually adorned with chrystals and Mother Jones newspapers as cues to the otherwise unsuspecting.

Healthy?? Maybe.

Exactly! I made the mistake of ordering some sort of cucumber mint drink. I figured that it might be a light, refreshing drink similar to one of my favorite summer drinks: gin & tonic with a cucumber slice (and the idea of mint was intriguing). It turned out to be a thick sludge resembling pond scum. I think they just stuck a cucumber in a blender and called it a drink.
Old 07-13-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Vegetarian Restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
Aw, c'mon! It's not so bad!

Really. John and I are card carrying carnivores whose best pals are a vegan couple. We've had great meals at vegetarian and vegan restaurants and I've learned to cook vegan dishes when we entertain. My friend makes a chocolate stout cupcake (vegan) that's to die for.

And it makes the beer buzz last longer.

The weekend John accidentally left our meat out all night on the galley counter we did just fine eating vegetables and fruit the rest of the trip. I can make a meal out of guacamole and homemade flat bread. Love that stuff. Still, when we got back to Rock Hall we couldn't get to Harbor Shack quick enough to order their largest plate of hot wings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-13-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Since my daughter grew up as I was making my up the ladder of"chefdom" and I was her the only parent she lived with she was exposed to many different foods as well as cuisines. She is willing to experiement now as a ressult and can still go down the fresh herb area in the market and pick the differnt kinds out with labels. She also learned to cook without salt (as I do) and use the right comnbinations of seasonings and herbs to accentuate her food and dishes. I can relate to her ordering the most expensive items on the menu too. Now that she has been off my payroll for about 7 years she hasnt changed in her food habits. Parents who give in to the " boxed chemical mac and cheese" tantrums of their kids are doing them a long term disservice. If they are made to try different things as kids,,,as adults they will probabaly be more adventuresome.

Good fresh ingredients ( meat, grain, starch, vegetable or fruit) prepared correctly
with proper accompaniments and seasoning can be great no masteer what you are doing. I have made some of the craziest conconcations in a simple ice cream maker you would ever beleive. ( The most abnormal one I made was a salt cod sorbet after I saw Iron Chef MNorimoto make it on the original Iron Chef Show), Recipies are great to follow, but better yet is too add your touch.

I will make a shameless plug for myself...there is an article I have contributed to in this months (July) Spinsheet magazine thanks to Wingnwings connections with the magazine). In I I gave one of the many recipies I have created over the years for Mahi Mahi. Try it and tell me what you think, Change it to meet your own tastes.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-14-2011

4arch is on a distinguished road
Don't like when places attempt to pass fake "meat" off as being the real thing either but I can see why it's done - not so much to please the hardcore vegetarian but more so in an attempt to appeal to people who aren't comfortable with the idea of a vegetarian meal. As much as a lot of those fake vegetarian meat products are not very tasty (to say the least), I'd much rather be caught eating them than I would some of the products the fast food and processed food industries pawn off as meat.

I like meat that's fresh, whole and preferably free range and grass fed. That makes it expensive and therefore means I eat meat a lot less frequently than I used to, but it's opened up a huge range of vegetarian meal options beyond salads and veggie burgers and it makes meat that much more of a treat on the occasions I do have it.

Dave, Saw your Spinsheet recipe. Looks great! We're looking forward to trying it.
Old 07-14-2011
Unpaid Intern

4arch, we're right there with you. While we're a family of omnivores, we have made changes over the last 5 years to eat mostly fresh food or at least unprocessed food. That generally means things like whole grain, grass fed, free range, etc. The result is that due to expense, it means less meat. We still like meat--a lot! But we eat a lot more vegetarian and seafood meals now at home. We're not eating vegetarian meals to avoid meat--we eat them because they taste good and they're healthy. We eat food we LIKE. Meat is not a requirement for great flavor.

At restaurants, we often choose seafood, but of course we also eat meat of all sorts. Just less often than we used to.
-J