Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road
Re: Chesapeake Bay Eats

Thanks guys. Based at least partly on your rave reviews and enthusiasm, we decided to sail to Onancock. There are several fancy, pricey, restaurants. We got a good late supper at the Irish Pub for a reasonable price. We weren't drinking that night but they seemed to have a great selection of brews on tap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Thanks guys. Based at least partly on your rave reviews and enthusiasm, we decided to sail to Onancock. There are several fancy, pricey, restaurants. We got a good late supper at the Irish Pub for a reasonable price. We weren't drinking that night but they seemed to have a great selection of brews on tap.
That would be The Blarney Stone. Definitely a place to hit while visiting Onancock.

The two pricy places I know of are Hotel Charlotte, in town, and Mallards, right by the docks. Both are quite good, but they are moderately pricy. At least the food was good the times I've been. Expensive and good is way easier to accept than expensive and no good.
Old 06-30-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Closecall..can you describe your experience with the channel approaching Onancock? As well did you anchor out or tie up at the docks?

Thanks,

Clay AA3JY
s/v 'Tango'
Old 06-30-2013

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road

Really not any problem with the channel. It is clearly marked, just don't get the reds and greens out of sequence. Pay close attention to the numbers. At the entrance to the channel there is a bit of a dogleg that can be confusing. Take it slow. After that everything is pretty straightforward. It seemed like I usually had more than eight feet and lots of times twelve feet of depth. If it drops more than that you are probably wondering outside the channel. We didn't have any oncoming vessels as we got there pretty late, but there was always plenty of room for passing.

We anchored in the little basin near town. Our three and a half foot draft let us move in past the other boats anchored there. I'd say there is room for ten boats in there if people are careful. No problem with bugs.
Old 07-04-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Wife and I ate / watched the fireworks tonight at Skipper's Pier in Deale after a West Marine run.

The food was very good.

Had the fried green tomato appetizer with a corn and shrimp salad topping - made with fresh corn. Being from the South, I've had a lot of friend green tomatoes, but this was a nice twist. We also had the bacon wrapped crawfish and shrimp jalapeños. They packed a surprising punch heat-wise but were still pretty good. I like spicy food, but these were on the limit. The Thai pepper sauce was outstanding. We saved it for the fish taco entree we shared.

The fish tacos (flounder, we opted for blackened) were moist and well seasoned. The Thai sauce we saved was better than the tomato salsa that comes with the fish.

For dessert we had the Smith Island cake. It got the job done, but was not spectacular. I've had better there before.

The drinks were also well done. The bartender was a little slow, and the waitress recognized that. We had a watermelon crush and a grapefruit crush, followed by some vodka sodas. Despite being slow, the bartender didn't skimp on the booze.

This meal and the fireworks made me miss Deale, but sitting on the West River with a glass of wine isn't too shabby either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
Wife and I ate / watched the fireworks tonight at Skipper's Pier in Deale after a West Marine run.

The food was very good.

The drinks were also well done. The bartender was a little slow, and the waitress recognized that. We had a watermelon crush and a grapefruit crush, followed by some vodka sodas. Despite being slow, the bartender didn't skimp on the booze.
We keep going back there, agree that the food's good and the service can be slow.
Old 07-08-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Ate at the Striped Rock in Solomons, MD last weekend. Just cruising the street looking for a restaurant after working on the boat all day (Kathy's required payment for helping me with my project :-)

Turns out they're doing a soft opening, I hadn't even realized they're new. Overheard they're going to have a fine dining room upstairs, with a more casual first floor.

I had the salmon florentine with creamed spinach and home fries. Very good meal.

Drinks were good, wish I could remember what we had. It was over a week ago!

We'll be back, so that's my best recommendation for a place.
Old 07-08-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz86 View Post
We keep going back there, agree that the food's good and the service can be slow.
Yes, service was a little slow, but we didn't mind since we were basically just killing time until the fireworks started. The bar service seemed to be the hold-up for us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

We ate at The Kitchen at Rock Hall. It's located next to The Mainstay. The menu is posted on the website.

The restaurant is small. It only seats about 20. I overheard our waitress tell another diner that she should make reservations for dinner.

5757 Main Street

Open Thursday - Monday 11:30 to 9 PM
Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday at 8 AM
Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We ate lunch. I wanted to try the soup of the day, which was Kitchen Crab soup (with a kick). They only offered a bowl, which would have been a meal by itself and I wanted to try a sandwich. She noticed my hesitation and offered to let us split one bowl. That turned out really well. The soup was delicious and came with a roll.

John had The Kitchen BALT (smoked bacon, avocado, romaine and aioli). He said the tomato was home grown and had a lot of taste. The sandwich came with a side of homemade potato salad, which was also good.

I had the tenderloin quesadilla with a dollop of guacamole and sour cream. The quesadilla contained beef, caramelized onion and melted fontina. DELICIOUS.

We were both too full to have dessert but they offered chocolate bread pudding or roasted cherry ice cream.

They also serve wine by the glass or bottle and had a decent selection of wines from France, Chile, Argentina and California.

Everyone was friendly, our iced teas were never less than half full.

Very much recommended.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-11-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Not a restaurant, but we discovered a little cheese shop, Fromage Deux, in the new Main Street shops. Besides some of the usual, there were cheeses we'd never had before. Sampling is highly encouraged so technically we ate there. We sampled and ended up buying a Canadian extra sharp cheese along with a slice of parmigiano reggiano.

The shop also sells herb-infused olive oils and vinegar. The proprietor mixed an olive oil and vinegar combination for us that was fantastic and will go well in any number of dishes so I had to buy that, too. Both happened to be products of an olive oil store back home that I've been meaning to visit for a few years now but haven't.

I add this to the restaurant thread because unless you're walking, you may not notice the shop and it is a different sort of establishment than is usually found in Rock Hall. I was very happy to see it and I hope it lasts. The owner is an enthusiastic advocate of what he's selling and obviously loves what he's doing. Very friendly person. His first shop is in Middletown, DE.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.