Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road
Re: Chesapeake Bay Eats

We're eating our way through Solomons on the weekends. Kathy has been putting some hard hours in helping me clean, but her required payment is a nice meal afterward.

Ate at the Dry Dock in the Zahniser complex last night. Food was about a 3.5 out of 5 (as comparison, we thought Stoney's crabcakes were better but these were decent), drinks were outstanding, staff was friendly and helpful.

However, it won't be on the top of the return list, because we found the chairs (both bar and table) to be too uncomfortable to sit in for an extended meal. Seems like a small thing but after a while the wicker chairs really dug into the back of our thighs.

Reservations recommended if you want to sit inside as they have a fairly small dining room.
Old 07-21-2013

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road

On the way drive home from St Mary's County last weekend, we stopped in Colonial Beach and ate at Fat Frieda's. They advertise the best crabcake and they may be right. Kickin Crab chowder is also very good. Definitely not a fancy place but it fits right it with Colonial Beach's funky 50's style.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Update to Post #419

The Kitchen on Main Street in Rock Hall.

Group reservation during Pirates and Wenches Fantasy Weekend.

When I made the reservation I asked the chef if he accommodated vegetarian meals and those with extreme food allergies. His response: "Bring it on!" He likes the challenge.

We had one vegetarian but the person with the food allergies didn't attend.

This time we were there for dinner. I ate Arctic char with asparagus and mashed potatoes. Everything was cooked perfectly and the potatoes had a lot of flavor, not just mash and serve. I think five of us ordered the Arctic char. John had fish tacos and crab soup. Both very good as well.

The chef prepared a vegetarian dish that was not on the menu. He discussed it with the diner first and they agreed on risotto with various vegetables. I asked and it was very good.

For dessert I had homemade butter pecan ice cream. Also very good but not as toe-curling good as the roasted cherry and dark chocolate chunk ice cream I had when we last dined. The other dessert options were chocolate bread pudding and creme brulee.

No complaints from the other five in the group. This was our third visit and again we were not disappointed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-25-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz86 View Post
We're eating our way through Solomons on the weekends.
After sailing yesterday afternoon, we tried the Ruddy Duck in Solomons. It's one of those places you see on the way out of town after you've eaten closer to the water and say, "We've got to try that one."

We did, and it's good. They've got their own brewery which we didn't know before stopping. My oatmeat stout tasted great and Kathy's lighter beer, with a honey finish, also tasted good.

We both had the crabcake sandwich, which our waiter told us came from a St. Mary's recipe. Very good sandwich and fries.

They had a live band and a lot of locals in their 20s and 30s, obviously a standard Saturday night place for them.

Two thumbs up.
Old 09-03-2013
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
I went to the boat after our snow and stopped by Jakes Steaks for lunch at the South Colony Shopping Center in Edgewater.

Good interpretation of the classic cheesteak there, though the roll was a little soft.

For around here though, aces!!
Update; closed.

Now go to Selby Sub Shoppe for cheesesteaks. Good rolls.
Old 10-21-2013
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road

Returned to Mike's Crab House on Riva Road Sunday for dinner following a glorious Fall sail.

We happened to stumble upon .50 raw oyster special and took advantage. (Again!!)

At .50/ea can one afford not to eat them??

I had two dozen (they are small but I like them small) a re-run on cream 'o crab and the salad bar.

The salad bar appeared to have fresh greens and spinach leaves as a welcome addition to your normal iceburg lettuce.

Slurp 'em if you got 'em!!
Old 03-29-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Things have been quiet here so I thought I'd stir the pot a bit.

Happy Harbor Restaurant in Deale MD

Good parking, access by boat and dinghy.

Good place. Basic pub food. The ingredients are definitely first rate - four stars. My burger came out well underdone (I ordered medium rare) which was handily dealt with by the owner who was on-site. It took a while and frankly staff could have been more attentive. Still, Happy Harbor is what it purports to be - a locally focused bar and restaurant that serves good food based on good ingredients.

I have yet to try them, but the fishing charter provisioning menu looks equally appropriate for a day sail with friends and family.

We'll definitely be back and will try the evening service to see how that goes. I'm hovering on four stars. I think Happy Harbor has the potential under new, current ownership to become the Deale version of Davis Pub in Annapolis. That would be wonderful.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 03-29-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2014

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Things have been quiet here so I thought I'd stir the pot a bit.

Happy Harbor Restaurant in Deale MD

Good parking, access by boat and dinghy.

Good place. Basic pub food. The ingredients are definitely first rate - four stars. My burger came out well underdone (I ordered medium rare) which was handily dealt with by the owner who was on-site. It took a while and frankly staff could have been more attentive. Still, Happy Harbor is what it purports to be - a locally focused bar and restaurant that serves good food based on good ingredients.

I have yet to try them, but the fishing charter provisioning menu looks equally appropriate for a day sail with friends and family.

We'll definitely be back and will try the evening service to see how that goes. I'm hovering on four stars. I think Happy Harbor has the potential under new, current ownership to become the Deale version of Davis Pub in Annapolis. That would be wonderful.
Dang it, if you aren't careful, folks will stop overlooking this "biker bar" and it will become as crowded and overpriced as some of the other options in the area.

Happy Harbor has been our go to for several years as they do a great burger and fish and chips basket for a decent price. I think it was last year the ownership changed and the menu was broadened just a bit. Still seems to be a great choice to grab a bite when you just want decent food at a reasonable price.
Old 03-29-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Dang it, if you aren't careful, folks will stop overlooking this "biker bar" and it will become as crowded and overpriced as some of the other options in the area.
*grin* There are a number of options around Deale but Happy Harbor is looking pretty good. We'll see how they feel about me teaching three-strand splicing at the bar.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-29-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The last time I was at Happy Harbor, a decade ago, I played music for a private party, the food was OK at best, but maybe I'm just too picky when it comes to crab cakes and burgers.

Dave, can I get in there with my sailboat? I know the water in front of the marina was pretty skinny back then, but like I said, I haven't been there in a decade.

Gary