Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Chesapeake Bay Eats

Sometime the mark of a good restaurant is its longevity and popularity year after. Year.
Time should not be a creteria however a change in ownership could be one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2014

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
While that is somewhat true, you have to wonder if some doesn't like a good Leffite Rothschild or Opus and thinks Woodbridge or Yellow Tail is as good.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz86 View Post
Oh, well, it's kinda like wine, you like what you like.
True enough -- I don't take recommendations seriously if they're from people who prefer Cracker Barrel or McDonalds.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 04-23-2014

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road

Anyone in the Smith Creek area of the Potomac should try Cali's on Jutland Creek. It's at the campground less than a mile up the creek where it joins Smith Creek. They have short hours, I think breakfast and lunch. We ate there one Sunday morning with the after church crowd and it was a very good breakfast. The service was fast and attentive. I believe there is room for a few boats to anchor there, but the campground is noisy. Better to anchor downstream and dinghy in to eat.

Also, Spinnaker's at Point Lookout Marina has a great restaurant/bar.

And, while I'm at it, if you have access to a vehicle, Saint Inigoes General Store four miles from the marina has fancy burgers and sandwiches, great breakfast sandwiches, and a dinner menu. All carryout only. Also a huge selection of craft beers and good wines. These guys really believe in generous portions. Their menu is on line.

St. Mary's County is a great place to eat.
Old 04-26-2014

boz86 is on a distinguished road

O'Brien's in Annapolis now joins the "never again" on our list.

First the good:
1. The filet mignon and pan-seared stripped bass were good.
2. I got lots of airline miles for one meal by using a credit card.

The rest: Not nearly enough food for the price. We're not looking for the Jersey diner three-meals-in-one, but the food's not good enough to charge Manhattan steakhouse prices on a per ounce basis.

When our waiter checked on us, I asked him about the fresh bread that was supposed to come with the meal. "Oh, that's more a dinner thing." Uhmm, the menu doesn't say fresh bread is only available in the evening.

And about the season vegetables that were supposed to be with the fish? "Oh, sorry." No offer to actually go get the dish.

I said to Kathy afterwards that we'd not go back there until we'd eaten everywhere else first. She said we're never going back. That's the verdict.

Edit: Yelp is showing a distinct decline in reviews and the management is spending a lot of time apologizing there.
T37Chef likes this.

Last edited by boz86; 05-14-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Forgot the stars. One star.
Old 04-26-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I don't think I saw Cafe Normandie on the list for Annapolis. Started going there as an Alternative to R&C, it's just a few doors up. Atmosphere is great, I've never been disappointed in the food or service. I've only had breakfast/'brunch there.
Old 04-26-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Our resident sailing chefs don't have much positive to say about the Annapolis dining scene, and I do admit that there are plenty of "fails" downtown, but it's not all bad. I suspect my palate simply isn't as refined as theirs.
I've never claimed to be a chef although I love to cook. I'm certainly not a Michelin inspector and anyone can contribute to Zagat and Yelp like I do. I don't even know if I am lumped into the category of 'resident sailing chefs.' *grin*

My biggest objection to what passes for the Annapolis food "scene" isn't quality, it's value.

Without getting too far into stars and points and diamonds (Wayne started this thread with one to five stars although few of the reviews have included that sort of rating), my opinion is that Annapolis restaurants generally think too highly of themselves. Perhaps they look at the truly good places in DC, Northern Virginia, and Baltimore and charge similar prices without delivering the same quality.

This is all my opinion.

There are some good values in Annapolis. Davis Pub and Jack's Fortune come to mind. Not fancy, good, reasonable prices. Some of the more expensive places (like Harry Browne's) get good reviews for food (from me and others) but regularly are noted as being priced out of proportion to quality.

We're based in Annapolis. For special meals we eat in DC or Canton (in Baltimore) or at home. I miss the wonderful, eclectic choices I lived among in Northern Virginia. I truly don't understand why my new home in Annapolis doesn't attract those sort of businesses.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-26-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Updating the spreadsheet again I realized no one has talked about Rocco's Pizza.

Rocco's is in the shopping center at Edgewood Rd and Bay Ridge which puts it within a medium-long walk of the Back Creek marinas. I was born in NY. I grew with my Dad bringing pizza home on the Eastern Shuttle after we moved to Virginia. I think I know pizza. Rocco's Pizza makes really good pizza. Even better, they deliver. Better yet, the delivery drivers understand marinas and moorings and docks - you can sail into Annapolis, take a slip or a mooring or anchor out and still get pizza (you do have to get to a dock somewhere by dinghy or water taxi).

Old 04-26-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I would like to review Szechuan Cafe in Pasadena on Mountain Road in the Giant Shopping Center. We visit with friends having eaten there over 10 times before. Not the usual Chinese restaurant. No red plastic tablecloths here, white linden, no red pebbled tumblers, nice goblets. Nice bar and sushi bar with sushi chef. Service really top notch. Food hot with beautiful presentation. Pol ulnar busy spot.

Szechuan Cafe in Pasadena, Maryland

Started of with a sushi sampler for 4 with fresh tasty well presented and excellent quality sushi and sushimi. 5.0 Supporo Beer

My wife had scallops , shrimp and chicken with asapargus in a spicy brown sauce . Perfectly done U-16 shrimp, large sea scallops with crisp asparagus. Very tasty...4.5

I had Family String Beans - same U16 shrimp , tender bias cut sirloin steak, chicken in a garlic brown sauce accompanies by dycon, string beans, fresh baby corn. 4.5

Dessert we had to wait for fresh made to order Chinese doughnuts. Lightly deep fried dough coated with real cinnamon vs cassis, powdered raw sugar was worth the wait. Not the usual ice cream dessert in a chinese restaurant

Expect to spend 15-20 for entrees

Overall rating of 4.7 out of 5. One of my highest rated restaurants

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-27-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I don't think I saw Cafe Normandie on the list for Annapolis. Started going there as an Alternative to R&C, it's just a few doors up. Atmosphere is great, I've never been disappointed in the food or service. I've only had breakfast/'brunch there.
I've dined at Cafe Normandie although it has been quite some time - too long ago to make a meaningful contribution. I do remember being pleased.

Spreadsheet is up to date as of this posting.

Old 04-29-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I've never claimed to be a chef although I love to cook. I'm certainly not a Michelin inspector and anyone can contribute to Zagat and Yelp like I do. I don't even know if I am lumped into the category of 'resident sailing chefs.' *grin*

My biggest objection to what passes for the Annapolis food "scene" isn't quality, it's value.

Without getting too far into stars and points and diamonds (Wayne started this thread with one to five stars although few of the reviews have included that sort of rating), my opinion is that Annapolis restaurants generally think too highly of themselves. Perhaps they look at the truly good places in DC, Northern Virginia, and Baltimore and charge similar prices without delivering the same quality.

This is all my opinion.

There are some good values in Annapolis. Davis Pub and Jack's Fortune come to mind. Not fancy, good, reasonable prices. Some of the more expensive places (like Harry Browne's) get good reviews for food (from me and others) but regularly are noted as being priced out of proportion to quality.

We're based in Annapolis. For special meals we eat in DC or Canton (in Baltimore) or at home. I miss the wonderful, eclectic choices I lived among in Northern Virginia. I truly don't understand why my new home in Annapolis doesn't attract those sort of businesses.
I agree, Dave.

Annapolis is nice, but they really think they're the "center of the universe".
The city has practically sold out, and lost it's colonial flavor. It's becoming an expensive tourist trap.

I'm beginning to favor smaller towns, more off the beaten track. Chestertown and Oxford come to mind. St. Michael's is very touristy, but not as bad as Annapolis, and is easily accessible to me.
T37Chef likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.