Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Chesapeake Bay Eats

+1 on Osprey. One of my sail club members has a strict kosher diet as well as many food allergies. She called ahead to see what they could do and the chef made her a fantastic and memorable dinner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I want to review the Harbor House Restaurant in the Marina In Worton Creek. Sorry Wouldashoulda but I had a completely different experience there.

Three other couples from our club and Donna and I ate there 3 weekends ago and to tell you the truth the only thing we found unique about the place was your name on the menu.

As we walked fron the dinghy dock we were greeted by the hostess and four of the staff outside the front door smoking. An "auspicious" start.

The entrees were miniscule and showed a lack of imagination. The stuffed rockfish my wife had showed up on the table dried out with some soupy mixture of crab imperial in which the maynaise had clearly seperated. My sesame asian flat iron steak needed a magnifting lens to find any seasame seeds as well as the portion size beng about 5 oz. Overcooked...was ordered rare and there was no even a hint of pink in it.

I rarely send food back, but when i did I was told to order another entree as thats how the House serves rare. I could go on and on, but dont waste your hard earned money here. I am very rarely this critical, but I will never return in light of the customer service issue and the obvious portion size served being not worth the price charged.

I give this 1/2 a star because the setting and ambiance is beautiful

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-21-2014
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I want to review the Harbor House Restaurant in the Marina In Worton Creek. Sorry Wouldashoulda but I had a completely different experience there.

As we walked from the dinghy dock we were greeted by the hostess and four of the staff outside the front door smoking. An "auspicious" start.

The entrees were miniscule and showed a lack of imagination. The stuffed rockfish my wife had showed up on the table dried out with some soupy mixture of crab imperial in which the maynaise had clearly seperated. My sesame asian flat iron steak needed a magnifting lens to find any seasame seeds as well as the portion size beng about 5 oz. Overcooked...was ordered rare and there was no even a hint of pink in it.
1) That vignette is entirely consistent with the 60's and 70's Swankitude I experienced as well!! With the exception that EVERYONE would have been smoking indoors back in the day.

2) None of those items were on the menu when we ate there 08/15/2014 and 08/16/2014. The web site does not have a menu either. They say the menu changes upon availability and that does appear correct. Sometimes, unfortunately, the result may prove inconsistent.

I sampled crab imperial stuffed mushroom caps, calamari, filet mignon prepared correctly at medium rare, topped with seasoned mushrooms and a bread pudding for afters that was scrumptious.

However, when others go these items may have gone as well.
Old 08-21-2014
AEOLUS II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
+1 on Osprey. One of my sail club members has a strict kosher diet as well as many food allergies. She called ahead to see what they could do and the chef made her a fantastic and memorable dinner.
I am not surprised in the least.

Osprey Point is very 21st Century and caters to 21st Century sensibilities.

Let's just say the wine tasting night was going full steam ahead when we were there 08/14/2014!!

When I gloss nostalgic about how cool my banana seat bike was, or how hot my '67 Pontiac was when I got it in 1978, I'll hop over to Worton Creek.

When I realize what a POS they both were, or how it was ever possible to spend the night on board a boat without air conditioning, Osprey Point will be my destination!!
Old 08-21-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
The Point Crabhouse - Magothy River/Ferry Point Marina

2.5/5 Stars

Went there today. Good view but not far from the boat haul out so the travel lift is in sight and hear shot of the dining area. Some trees and/or privacy wall would go a long way.

Service was somewhat slow at first, particularly getting our drink order to the table. I had the Ahi Tuna Tacos and a double Cranberry-Orange Crush. Both were tasty but the fries were cold. The server promptly sent out new fries for the table that were hot and well seasoned. We also shared the Baked Crab dip in Bread bowl, for the price I felt it was a little short on crab and dip and over on bread.

Nothing exciting, but nothing terribly bad either, just good....therefore I rate it average.
Old 08-21-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Headed to St Michael's in a couple weeks. Recommendation other than the Crab Claw?
Old 08-22-2014
AEOLUS II

Re: The Point Crabhouse - Magothy River/Ferry Point Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
... a double Cranberry-Orange Crush.
I just sampled an Orange Crush recently at Hemingway's at the Bay Bridge Marina, 357 Pier 1 Rd, Stevensville, MD 21666 last week.

It tasted so much like the Orangina and vodka I have made for myself in the past, I picked some up on the way home!!

Hemingway's Restaurant - Kent Island, MD

We had the calamari, house salad with lobster tail added, and the Mahi tacos.

Pricey, but it's a high dollar boat marina with an outstanding view so...

Competently prepared, nothing outstanding.

We did go to the bar later and order a drinks. The bartender said "how's everything??" My wife said "My drink isn't here yet" Bartender says, "I didn't take your order" Wife says, "Oh, I just thought since you asked..." Then he says, "I'll check on it!!"

So, why didn't he just say "I'll check on it" right out of the box??
T37Chef likes this.
Old 08-22-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Headed to St Michael's in a couple weeks. Recommendation other than the Crab Claw?
Ava's Pizzaria and Gina's Cafe. 208 Talbot is good but pricy.
T37Chef likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-23-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Blue Crab Coffee is good for a breakfast stop, homemade pastry and good cappuccino

The Inn at Perry Cabin has gone through so much change in the past few years i dont know, ever since Chef Mark Salter left its not been the same, lots of turnover and inconsistency it seems. Ashame because its a beautiful property.
Old 08-23-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Mike and Eric's
Avas
Both on Talbot St

Good food reasonable prices
Inn at Perry Cabin not worth the expense anymore however grounds spevtaular. Great place for a wedding or functions

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner