Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008
Cat Rageous

adewall is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to adewall
Hampton Roads Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
What about Newport News-Williamsburg International?
Tim,

We relocated to Newport News from Northern Virginia about 6 years ago - mostly for the better sailing conditions. Our initial approach to "winterizing" consisted of moving the boat further south, to Wrightsville Beach NC, where we have a place on the beach, then on down the ICW to the Keys. For the last 2 years, we've been forced (by unrelated circumstancess) to stay in Hampton Roads. I've done minimal winterizing (drained water tanks, water heater, etc.), and left our inboard Westerbeke 27 ready to run - with an electric cabin heater and light bulb to keep things above freezing. That way we can take advantage of the not-too-rare 60 or even 70 degree days that happen just about every month. For those really cold nights, I have a heat pump that I can kick in.

My wife's consulting work initially had her traveling quite a bit - both domestic and international. Since we have stuck with Continental for the FF miles, we still have to fly via Newark or Houston to get most places from Norfolk. The local airport in Newport News is served by Air Tran, which has direct flights to many destinations. Delta and USAir also serve Newport News (Patrick Henry Field). One caveat about Norfolk - at least with Continental, is that they insist on using small planes, while Air Tran uses full-size equipment from Newport News. Probably only a concern if you have long legs like we do

With all the military and ship-building here, we're somewhat insulated from the economic stresses elsewhere. We found the housing prices to be much better here than in the DC area as well.

Oh, the sailing and cruising opportunities are nearly unlimited here. In addition to the Bay, we can head straight out into the Atlantic, or take a right and head down to the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds. Just be prepared to give way to the occasional sub or aircraft carrier!
Newport News, VA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Thank you for the excellent response Adewall (and all).
This is all long term thinking, nothing is going to happen in the next year or so (especially since I will have to sell a house in the current market conditions). Thanks again everybody.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-14-2008
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
I sail year around mid Chesapeake

Of course that is weather permitting. Last year I was able to sail late in November and early December and again in January. It all depends on the weather... this year with "global warming" I have not been out since early November, I would add that personal holiday necessities and some work have kept me from sailing lately, but mostly, it has been too cold.

Then there was that rare winter back in late 70s that you could have walked across much of the Bay and in fact I ice skated on the Severn. It is all part of the beauty of The Chesapeake Bay.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
We sail year round up here. We tied up to the dock last night in town to watch the boat parade. It started snowing.

Last night

This morning:

La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 01-13-2009

MarthaT is on a distinguished road
I dont think id want to sail in snow that deep
Old 01-13-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
that first picture is really awesome with the snow flakes in from of the lense, why martha it wont kill you as long as you dont fall off
Old 01-13-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Martha,
You're not sailing in the snow, you're sailing in the water. That's the shiny looking stuff right in back of the boat.

Spend half a lifetime wishing for a boat and then get oh so picky about when and where to sail it.
Old 01-13-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
I was wondering why that shiny stuff wouldn't stop following me. Hopefully some of the hideous white stuff doesn't come or else I may not be able to go out on my spotless 100K boat for another 4 months.

mrwuffles mind: I shouldn't be talking my boats out back right now but had to say something.
Old 01-14-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I'm going out this saturday 1-17-09. High of 28*F. Dropping the mast for repairs when we get back.
Old 01-14-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
I'm going out this saturday 1-17-09. High of 28*F. Dropping the mast for repairs when we get back.
Ahhh, youthful enthusiasm!!

With the lowest temps in 10-12 years forecast here, I might visit our boat, now under wraps, fire up the heaters, make a cup of cocoa, and fantasize about spring.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT