SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Do you sail year round? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/49377-do-you-sail-year-round.html)

sailortjk1 12-02-2008 09:48 AM

Do you sail year round?

Do you sail year round on the lower Chesapeake?
Deltaville? Norfolk?
Or is year round sailing not done on the bay?
A quick look at today's forecast shows its in the upper 40's and lower 50's this week, with overnight lows in the upper 20's. I imagine it will be even colder in January.
What is the length of the season in that area?

JohnRPollard 12-02-2008 10:19 AM

Mid/Upper Chesapeake season is about 9 months +/-.

There will be plenty more decent sailing days this month, but I will be heading out to winterize this week. March is about 50/50, more like 80/20 if you have a cabin heater.

When my brother kept a boat in the Mid-Bay region, he never had to winterize the engine (a bit risky, if you ask me). Down in the Lower Bay it's probably safe to forego winterizing?

Will be interested to hear reports from further south.

zz4gta 12-02-2008 12:11 PM

I'm just up the potomac (mid bay) and sail year round. Last Sunday (Herrington Harbour North) went out and raced, and won, in mid to high 40's 14-18knts and constant rain. There's 2 more races left for the 'frostbites', after that I'll go back to sailing my own boat through the winter as much as I can. I've sailed with my friend on his Catalina in Janurary, just depends on how bad the winter is, and how many layers you wear.

pdqaltair 12-03-2008 05:32 PM

Yup, all year unless the water gets hard.

I was out (Deale, MD) Saterday and enjoyed an easy 9 kn and no traffic or express cruiser wakes. I do lose my taste for strong wind, spray, and rain until spring.

Exchanging your sunglasses for ski goggles is a good idea, even without spray - much warmer, not just for the eyes but for the who face. Try it.

1 year in 10 we will get enough ice in the harbor, for a few days, that getting out would be trouble. But even that does not last.

pdqaltair 12-03-2008 05:33 PM

Winterizing an outboard is not required mid-bay.

But I would feel differently with an inboard. And all of the water systems need to be winterized.

WouldaShoulda 12-04-2008 08:51 AM

We don't sail year-round.

The change of season and lack of sailing makes me appreciate it more in the Spring!!

Matt Galo 12-04-2008 08:59 AM

New Year's Day Tradition

We sail year round. Thought it really does depend on the weather most of the time. We do have a tradition of spending the night on the boat on New Year's eve and sailing on New Year's day. You know, start the year off right.

As far as winterizing.... out board engine, no problem. Water supply, we just bring what we need.

Stay warm!

motovationcycles 12-04-2008 09:36 PM

Year Round

I keep my boat at Placid Harbor just north of the Solomons bridge. We sail all year. Winterize freshwater system and head. Keep a small heater in engine compartment. If it gets below freezing for more than 24 hours I run down and winterize it. Simple to winterize, and a few gallons of anti-freeze is worth it for the ability to sail on those nice winter days.

CrazyRu 12-04-2008 11:38 PM

What’s the story with winterizing? Remove the hose from seacock, slide big funnel into it, run engine and ooze antifreeze into funnel until antifreeze runs out of rear pipe. On small engine it takes less than а gallon. It is $8 at most. Yes, you have to use right ecologically friendly antifreeze. Yes, it may not replace all water in the engine. Antifreeze is rated for minus 70 degree. It will mix up inside of the engine.
5 minutes later you have your engine ready for next time to go out.
Keep all other systems winterized. Hang solar shower bag with water in it over a sink. Now you have running water for guests. Or just boil a kettle.
Use skiing gear – face masks, gaggles, gloves, bibs, etc… Sail conservatively, use mainsail or genoa only.
I used to sail beach cat in winter. Big boat is too boring; there is nothing to do… It’s colder too, body isn’t working. Still, if weather is nice there is no reason to skip good sailing day :)

camaraderie 12-04-2008 11:42 PM

Crazy...what is ecologically friendly? The "pink stuff" won't contaminate water tanks or harm humans but I don't believe it is eco-freindly...though certainly more than the "green stuff". Do you have something else in mind that IS eco-friendly?