Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008

ttk104 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Recommendations for Cruising the Southern Chesapeake

My father moved to White Stone, Virginia recently and moved his boat down to Carter Creek. I've sailed around in the northern parts of the bay and northern eastern shore but I haven't gotten around the southern part too much.

Does anyone have any recommendations for day or two day sails from the Rappahannock?

Last edited by ttk104; 12-08-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Was on the Rappahannock for 20 years. Good trips include across the Bay to Onancock (weekend) , Up to Reedville, Up to Kilmarnock, over to Tangier, Down to Mobjack Bay, across to Crisfield, and of course on a long weekend, down into Norfolk/Hampton. St. Mary's on the Potomac is doable in a long day. Solomon's is a 2 day trip each way. Lots of great cruising around the area and even on the Rappahanock Urbanna and Deltaville are good day trips. Enjoy!
Old 12-09-2008
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
The Southern Bay is a beautiful place

I have sailed the Central Chesapeake (West River) for 30+ years. I love that area, but I have also made a couple trips south. I think if you are familiar with the Northern Central Chesapeake you will find the Southern Bay a lonelier place. You can sail for hours and only see a handful of boats. Deltaville is the busiest area north of Norfolk. If I were planning a trip south I would be sure to include Tangier, Deltaville, Mobjack Bay. I also think Yorktown is worth a visit too. Don't miss Norfolk.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2008

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
We've had our Irwin 37CC at Regent Point Marina right off the Rappahannock for about 7 years and we find the area to be pretty good of eather a quick day sail or planning a week long sail around the area. There's so many creeks and places to anchor you'll run out of time well before you run out of places to go. We were going to go to Reedville but couldn't by boat so we drove up there just to see what was there, well unless you like nice old house's to look at there's not a whole lot to see or much do. The area around Yankee Point Marina has a bunch of real nice creeks & coves to slip into.
One thing I found useful was the webb site Google Earth. You can take a good look at the various places you might want to go ahead of time. It can also, using Earth Link overlay the bouy's and channel markers right onto the Google Earth spot. If you also have a chart plotter some of them will let you down load your routes onto the Google Earth spot. I find this very useful to print out the picture from Google Earth along with the routes and bouy's already on it for use in the cockpit while underway.

Good Luck,

Mike & Glinda
s/v Blue Bayou
Old 12-09-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
To add to the good advice already given, I'll add a few places to consider for a quick overnighter from Carter Creek. Just up "Rivah", is the Corrotoman River which has some beautiful anchorages, the western branch is one of our favorites. Its very close to Carter Creek (which is also a destination we enjoy) so it might be a good place to check out if you ever get a late start.

Fishing Bay is one of those legendary Chesapeake anchorages that is nearly a must see. If the winds are out of the south you can anchor across the way in Godfrey Bay. Also, working up the western shore from Windmill Point there is Antipoison Creek, Little Bay (there is supposed to be a nice beach there), Indian Creek and Dividing Creek where there is a nice anchorage at Lawrence Cove.

We are down "rivah" and across the way at Stingray Point Marina and spring will start our 4th year there.

Bill and Jill
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 C36

PS The entire area is somewhat underdeveloped when it comes to night life, but I can share what I know if you have any interest.
Old 12-10-2008

Cptken is on a distinguished road
If you are looking for night life, Urbanna has the most choices. I second the Carrotoman, especially the western branch. The eastern branch has a great anchorage with a nice beach but generally overrun by jetskis. All the other suggestions are great and visit them often, but tend to be away from towns. We're a pretty friendly lot, drop your anchor and dinghy over and say hello. Also consider joining one of the local Yacht Clubs, most are pretty laid back social organizations. Fishing Bay, Yankee Point and to some extent RRYC on Carters Creek are into racing.
Old 12-10-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I grew up sailing the southern half of the Bay, and still make it down there from time-to-time. One of my favorite spots is Grog Island, north of the Rappahannock at the entrance to Dymer Creek, and it's a really pretty spot for a dip in Spring or Fall without the jellies present.
Old 12-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
I grew up sailing the southern half of the Bay, and still make it down there from time-to-time. One of my favorite spots is Grog Island, north of the Rappahannock at the entrance to Dymer Creek, and it's a really pretty spot for a dip in Spring or Fall without the jellies present.
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Grog Island is Grog shoal now.
Old 12-10-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
This is all fine stuff but where do you eat??
Old 12-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
This is all fine stuff but where do you eat??
Deltaville:
Cocomo's (seems to be the party place in D'ville and the food is really good)
Galley (Best crab bisque in town) Always had great food here and the best bet for a burger
Tobys (seems more upscale, food is very good)
Sweet Shop Bakery (good homemade bread with breakfast)
Taylors (I'm told folks used to drive for miles to eat at Taylors but its my least favorite in D'ville.)

Saluda/Hummel:
Pilot House (Great Breakfast buffet)
Eckhard's (Great German and Italian dishes)

Urbanna:
Cafe Mojo - Big City style in the sticks (with big city prices)

Kilmarnock:
Buenos Nachos - Really good Mexican even by big city standards.
Smokey Joes BBQ - OK BBQ
Roses Steak and Ale (Also a good place to have a beer and watch a game)

And the number one answer is:

Dinner on the boat!!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.