Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Also, the two travel lifts and the hydralifts will be leaving Hartge Yacht "Harbor" (the new name) as well as the tent covering one of the railways. They will, unless they come to an agreement, be leaving as soon as the rest of the boats are launched or by May first.

Whitestake Corporation, the new management, is working on replacing the infrastucture. New dock carts, new dinghy carts, new (and used) machine shop tools are arriving. They are playing it 'by ear' to decide which direction to go in - whether they will lease out the new buildings or hire new employees remains to be seen.

The only personnel which remain, at present, are the railway crew (6) who are also painters and varnishers, and the 'pad' crew (3) who haul the boats with the travel lifts. A new travel lift will be coming but I'm not sure when it will arrive. Until it does, it will be difficult to use the new paint building.

It is very sad to see the end of an era caused by a family rift. It is hoped by all that everyone succeeds in whatever direction they take. Alex's crew is already operating out of trucks and vans at Hartge Yacht Harbor as well as other marinas in the area. The railway crew has only pulled three boats since the changeover on the first of April. The crew on the 'pad' is still working for Alex until all the boats are launched, then they will be working for Whitestake.

Saltwater Suzi and I have lived at Hartge's off and on for the last ten years (when we weren't cruising.) Alex was always kind enough to rehire me when our cruising kitty ran low. We always liked Alex and (his wife) Donna, but now I'm working for the new folks - their relatives. They are also pleasant to work for, though at this point, it's probably too soon to pass judgement. With both sides being nice folks, I'm not sure why they couldn't come to an agreement - lots of speculation and rumor on that subject but no hard facts that have been released. Like any family feud, the facts are subject to interpretation.

We will be leaving again this fall to go cruising. So we are only "ankle deep" in the situation. I feel badly for the guys who have spent twenty or thirty years here and have their lives invested, have mortgages and kids in school. We wish them all well and hope things work out for both sides as well as all the guys who have so much of themselves invested and are pawns in a game over which they have little control.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

I failed to mention in the last post that the 5000 gallon fuel tank is gone as well as the "honey wagon" so, at least for the time being - no pump outs and no, um, pump ins.

Also, the weather sucks. And my finger hurts. And I'm dangerously low on rum. And nobody likes me much. I think I'll go out to the garden and eat worms. Yesterday, I ate two wooly ones and one smooth one.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-01-2009

accordio is on a distinguished road
old harge's?

Anyone know anything about new management and services at the old harge facility. While the former operating group provided high quality service, their prices were even higher and their work was proportionally slower. I did not find them user friendly as a medium income owner.
Old 09-19-2009

dvkall is on a distinguished road
Hartge's Current Yard Report

You can see my report on the Hartge's yard on our blog. Since this is my first post you can find it in my profile.

IMHO one of the keys for the yards success was Luke Frey. We understand he has moved to somewhere around Solomons. We like the yard employeee's but felt that the project management was a little chaotic or non existent. Hopefully; once they move totally into their new facilities things will smooth out.
Old 09-19-2009

Chris59 is on a distinguished road
I was wondering what happened to Luke. I always had the upmost respect and trust when dealing with him.

I wish him well and now I'll have to look him up.
Old 09-19-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

Luke Frey is now at Washburn's in Solomons. He will certainly be missed by Hartge Yacht Yard which is still operating with most employees just not at the original location on Lerch Creek in Galesville. They are on Tenthouse Creek in Galesville. The Lerch Creek operation is Hartge Yacht Harbour and they offer railway and travel lift services.

Old 12-20-2009

Droofus is on a distinguished road
Hartge Yacht

Does anyone know Dick Zimmerman who works there ?