SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What is happening at Hartge Yacht Yard???

13K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Droofus 
#1 ·
Anyone knows the story.... something about losing their 30 yr lease. I thought that the Yard was a family own business. I may have to go marina shoping and it is kind of late for that............

#4 ·
Chuckles, I think you refer to Hartge Yacht Services in Annapolis? If so, they are a different group.

HYY in Galesville is run by a Hartge family member that leases the marina property from the family trust/company. The current 30 year lease expires this year (spring). As I understand it HYY has not been able to negotiate acceptable terms to extend the lease. If they can't reach an agreement, the family trust/company will run the marina facilities beginning in April.

I have not heard any suggestion that owners will have to move their boats. I think the only question is whether HYY will be operating to provide service. This certainly is a big concern, and does raise questions about how boats will be launched come spring?

Hopefully they will work out a new arrangement. This isn't the sort of economy where they should be taking chances, or risking the job security of the many yard employees.

P.S. I'm moving this thread to the Chesapeake forum, as it's primarily of local interest.

#6 ·
What is happening at hartge yacht yard

The company called Hartge Yacht Yard, run by Alex Schlegel, had a 30 year lease from a family owned foundation (I believe it is called WhiteStake Partners, after the name of the point of land - WhiteStake Point). His lease expired and he was not able to reach agreement with the foundation (his own family).

He has been asked to vacate the premises and he is relocating the business to other space in Galesville (initially the old West River Market property). The family foundation has hired (and continues to hire) new people to run the marina business and, presumably, the repair business.

A family squabble at its worst.

If you are going to deal with either one, make sure you understand who you are dealing with and what capabilities they really have (and who they really are).

I have heard, but cannot positively confirm, that most of the craftsmen who worked under the Hartge Yacht Yard name will continue to work for the company bearing that name but they will no longer be located at the Church Lane location where they have been for the last 30 years.

Eric

#9 ·
Around 8 years ago or so, Alex and his wife purchased a small marina, Chalk Point Marina, which is directly across the creek from the Hartge's fuel dock. They've developed it into a beautiful and from all appearances, successful enterprise and Alex will be working from his new offices there.

#10 ·
What is happening at hartge yacht yard

Not so.

While Chalk Point is a lovely location, Alex is running Hartge Yacht Yard from the old West River Market building on the main drag in Galesville. The left side is the office (what used to be the kitchen) and the right side is the supply room (store).

He has also leased space at Woodfield's in Galesville and they have move some of the larger shop equipment to that location.

Eric

#11 ·
Also, the two travel lifts and the hydralifts will be leaving Hartge Yacht "Harbor" (the new name) as well as the tent covering one of the railways. They will, unless they come to an agreement, be leaving as soon as the rest of the boats are launched or by May first.

Whitestake Corporation, the new management, is working on replacing the infrastucture. New dock carts, new dinghy carts, new (and used) machine shop tools are arriving. They are playing it 'by ear' to decide which direction to go in - whether they will lease out the new buildings or hire new employees remains to be seen.

The only personnel which remain, at present, are the railway crew (6) who are also painters and varnishers, and the 'pad' crew (3) who haul the boats with the travel lifts. A new travel lift will be coming but I'm not sure when it will arrive. Until it does, it will be difficult to use the new paint building.

It is very sad to see the end of an era caused by a family rift. It is hoped by all that everyone succeeds in whatever direction they take. Alex's crew is already operating out of trucks and vans at Hartge Yacht Harbor as well as other marinas in the area. The railway crew has only pulled three boats since the changeover on the first of April. The crew on the 'pad' is still working for Alex until all the boats are launched, then they will be working for Whitestake.

Saltwater Suzi and I have lived at Hartge's off and on for the last ten years (when we weren't cruising.) Alex was always kind enough to rehire me when our cruising kitty ran low. We always liked Alex and (his wife) Donna, but now I'm working for the new folks - their relatives. They are also pleasant to work for, though at this point, it's probably too soon to pass judgement. With both sides being nice folks, I'm not sure why they couldn't come to an agreement - lots of speculation and rumor on that subject but no hard facts that have been released. Like any family feud, the facts are subject to interpretation.

We will be leaving again this fall to go cruising. So we are only "ankle deep" in the situation. I feel badly for the guys who have spent twenty or thirty years here and have their lives invested, have mortgages and kids in school. We wish them all well and hope things work out for both sides as well as all the guys who have so much of themselves invested and are pawns in a game over which they have little control.

#12 ·
I failed to mention in the last post that the 5000 gallon fuel tank is gone as well as the "honey wagon" so, at least for the time being - no pump outs and no, um, pump ins.

Also, the weather sucks. And my finger hurts. And I'm dangerously low on rum. And nobody likes me much. I think I'll go out to the garden and eat worms. Yesterday, I ate two wooly ones and one smooth one.

#13 ·
old harge's?

Anyone know anything about new management and services at the old harge facility. While the former operating group provided high quality service, their prices were even higher and their work was proportionally slower. I did not find them user friendly as a medium income owner.

#14 ·
Hartge's Current Yard Report

You can see my report on the Hartge's yard on our blog. Since this is my first post you can find it in my profile.

IMHO one of the keys for the yards success was Luke Frey. We understand he has moved to somewhere around Solomons. We like the yard employeee's but felt that the project management was a little chaotic or non existent. Hopefully; once they move totally into their new facilities things will smooth out.

#16 ·
Luke Frey is now at Washburn's in Solomons. He will certainly be missed by Hartge Yacht Yard which is still operating with most employees just not at the original location on Lerch Creek in Galesville. They are on Tenthouse Creek in Galesville. The Lerch Creek operation is Hartge Yacht Harbour and they offer railway and travel lift services.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.