Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009

Wonderer is on a distinguished road
What is happening at Hartge Yacht Yard???

Anyone knows the story.... something about losing their 30 yr lease. I thought that the Yard was a family own business. I may have to go marina shoping and it is kind of late for that............
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Nothing on web site...

Hartge Yacht Yard

They've been there MUCH longer that 30 years.
Old 01-12-2009

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I thought they had sold out to a 'management company' and were now expanding but still using the Hartge name.
Old 01-12-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I thought they had sold out to a 'management company' and were now expanding but still using the Hartge name.
Chuckles, I think you refer to Hartge Yacht Services in Annapolis? If so, they are a different group.

HYY in Galesville is run by a Hartge family member that leases the marina property from the family trust/company. The current 30 year lease expires this year (spring). As I understand it HYY has not been able to negotiate acceptable terms to extend the lease. If they can't reach an agreement, the family trust/company will run the marina facilities beginning in April.

I have not heard any suggestion that owners will have to move their boats. I think the only question is whether HYY will be operating to provide service. This certainly is a big concern, and does raise questions about how boats will be launched come spring?

Hopefully they will work out a new arrangement. This isn't the sort of economy where they should be taking chances, or risking the job security of the many yard employees.

P.S. I'm moving this thread to the Chesapeake forum, as it's primarily of local interest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-12-2009

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Yeah John, my bust.
Old 03-29-2009

ecm56 is on a distinguished road
What is happening at hartge yacht yard

The company called Hartge Yacht Yard, run by Alex Schlegel, had a 30 year lease from a family owned foundation (I believe it is called WhiteStake Partners, after the name of the point of land - WhiteStake Point). His lease expired and he was not able to reach agreement with the foundation (his own family).

He has been asked to vacate the premises and he is relocating the business to other space in Galesville (initially the old West River Market property). The family foundation has hired (and continues to hire) new people to run the marina business and, presumably, the repair business.

A family squabble at its worst.

If you are going to deal with either one, make sure you understand who you are dealing with and what capabilities they really have (and who they really are).

I have heard, but cannot positively confirm, that most of the craftsmen who worked under the Hartge Yacht Yard name will continue to work for the company bearing that name but they will no longer be located at the Church Lane location where they have been for the last 30 years.

Eric
Old 04-01-2009

Snipp is on a distinguished road
Hartge Yacht Yard news

Check out the "This Just In" link to the Hartge story on Chesapeake Bay Magazine website, ChesapeakeBoating.net.
Old 04-06-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Never go against the family!!
Old 04-06-2009

Yado is on a distinguished road
Around 8 years ago or so, Alex and his wife purchased a small marina, Chalk Point Marina, which is directly across the creek from the Hartge's fuel dock. They've developed it into a beautiful and from all appearances, successful enterprise and Alex will be working from his new offices there.
Old 04-11-2009

ecm56 is on a distinguished road
What is happening at hartge yacht yard

Not so.

While Chalk Point is a lovely location, Alex is running Hartge Yacht Yard from the old West River Market building on the main drag in Galesville. The left side is the office (what used to be the kitchen) and the right side is the supply room (store).

He has also leased space at Woodfield's in Galesville and they have move some of the larger shop equipment to that location.

Eric