Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009
Cabo Rico 38

jongoose is on a distinguished road
Big Blow

Did anyone else get caught in the big blow this past Saturday night 5/9? We had rafted up behind the northern tip of Gibson Island at the anchorage they call the Horse Farm. All was well through Happy Hour and the decision was made to drop a few more hooks as the wind started to build. At about 2330 the wind blew like stink and it got pretty interesting in the cove. This was the first of our Weatherman Cruises which makes what happened even more of a story. End result all was well and we all returned safely to Rock Hall.
Old 05-11-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
It snuck up on us but we were on land.

Nice to hear you made it through OK!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
We had planned to have guests down for the weekend to anchor out Saturday evening. We decided not to go based on the weather report but I was second guessing myself all day Saturday as the weather was beautiful at home. I checked about 2000 and it looked like Deltaville and the surrounding area were about to get hammered with hail up to 1/4 inch and winds of 40 knots or more. I was glad I was not at anchor but sorta' regret not just going down for a daysail since there was plenty of time to get back to the dock and tied securely before the big blow arrived. I was expecting more of a rain all day with intermittent t-storms. Also my sailmaker called late Friday with the news they would not be able to fix the error regarding the foot of my new mainsail before Saturday. That probably means the sail is still in their loft, so if I'd gone down this weekend, I would have had to go pick it up and bend it back on before I could even go for a daysail.

On the bright side, I took care of a whole bunch of honey-do items I'd been defering, so I won't feel guilty when I do get to go down. I still have a lot of things around the house I want to get done but with these off the table I can see getting a bit ahead of the curve for the rest of the summer.
Old 05-11-2009
Cabo Rico 38

It really was quite exciting as I look back! There were no thunderstorms it just blew in after a fantastic sail over from Swan Creek and a wonderful Happy Hour. It hit us while we were still in a six boat raft on three hooks. Two of the hooks broke loose and we went for one heck of a ride that ended with two of us going aground. No damage was done and we all sailed home on another perfect day Sunday.
Old 05-11-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongoose View Post
It really was quite exciting as I look back! There were no thunderstorms it just blew in after a fantastic sail over from Swan Creek and a wonderful Happy Hour. It hit us while we were still in a six boat raft on three hooks. Two of the hooks broke loose and we went for one heck of a ride that ended with two of us going aground. No damage was done and we all sailed home on another perfect day Sunday.
Glad it worked out for you, and none of the boats that went aground were damaged.

From the last look I took at the radar it appeared "ground zero" for the worst of the storms was pretty well south of you and just north of Deltaville. There was a special marine warning out for the middle part of the Bay, but I didn't pull it up to read it. I'm glad I missed the storm but sorry I missed out on sailing this weekend.
Old 05-11-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Jomgoose,

We were going to head up to your anchor spot Horse Farm...our club calls it "Eagles Nest", After looking at the weather we opted for a little further up the Magothy at Broad Creek. Better 360 degree potection from the wind. Hot in the summer, but perfect on Saturday night. We heard it whistling thorugh the trees, but the wind at the top of the mast went up to 45 but never above 14 at deck level.

I dont sleep well with wind like that unless anchored in a hole. Next time try Broad Creek in a blow.

Tough beat back to Rock Creek on Sunday.

Dave

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-11-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Jomgoose,

We were going to head up to your anchor spot Horse Farm...our club calls it "Eagles Nest", After looking at the weather we opted for a little further up the Magothy at Broad Creek. Better 360 degree potection from the wind. Hot in the summer, but perfect on Saturday night. We heard it whistling thorugh the trees, but the wind at the top of the mast went up to 45 but never above 14 at deck level.

I dont sleep well with wind like that unless anchored in a hole. Next time try Broad Creek in a blow.

Tough beat back to Rock Creek on Sunday.

Dave

Dave
So it was you anchored in front of our new marina If you are there next time - come up to the dock We are in a second slip on the right.

That place is a nice anchorage - I am almost poised to get off the dock and anchor right in front
Old 05-12-2009
Cabo Rico 38

Thanks Dave

I will remember that piece of advice. This was my first raftup and I trusted the more experienced captains among us on where we were going. In hind sight I should have checked the weather again on Saturday morning instead of relying on the Friday forcast. On Friday the worst of the weather was to be to our south mostly in Virginia. After dinner we would usually break up but decided instead to drop two more hooks and stay together as we were having to much fun.

Hal
Old 05-12-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Will do Brak. We Usually do "Eagles Nest/ Horse farm as it has more of a breeze. The last thing we needed saturday night was more of a breeze though. If you are ever in Rock Creek we are at the Maryland Yacht Club. Offer to stop by is recipricol.

Hal, we get over to Swan Creek a lot also. Which is your home base? Those CR are very easy to spot.''''**:**)

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-13-2009
Cabo Rico 38

Dave

We are in Swan Creek Marina slip B16 on the inside. We also live in Rock Hall on a farm just off Grays Inn Creek so not far from the boat. Hope we can hookup this summer. Thought about a raftup off Rock Hall Harbor for the fireworks on the 3rd of July?

Hal