Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Unfortunatly, sumer sailing on the Bay means learing to deal with thunderstorms.

Get up early. Get a good anchor or two down. Relax.

Of course, I've been tagged in the open a few times too.

The other choice? Sell the boat.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Saturday was Glorious!

I have sailed too long to not remember how disappointing the weather can be for Memorial Day Weekend. With the predictions for small crafty advisories for Saturday afternoon and Sunday and probably Monday, we got up early and made our way to the boat and had slipped our lines by 10 am. The wind was light as we ran down the channel leg of West River past the WR #4. We turned to starboard and it was as if someone turned on the fan. The wind licked up eventually making it to about 16 knots as we passed Thomas Point Light House. We sailed over toward Kent Island midway across from Tolley Point and Thomas Point then tacked down toward Bloody Point. Then we broad reached back across and into West River and back to the slip by 2 pm. It was wonderful. We were tired and felt refreshed at the same time.

Our new Spot was tracking out course every 10 minutes (SPOT Shared Page changes after 7 days). I noticed looking at the spot times, that while it is supposed to record your position every 10 minutes it often skips a beat or 2. I hope this does not bother people watching and waiting for us, we haven't just vanished when a new spot does not appear, it just means the up-link failed. Generally I like the Spot for reporting to family members who worry about our safety but I don't consider this to be the first line of defense in a real emergency. Sure I would activate the 911 option but I would also be on the VHF cH16 to the CG and even my cell phone (CG 800-982-8813) if danger were at hand.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
Wayne,
Good to meet you guys today hope your trip goes well.

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat
Old 05-25-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Sunday was terrific.
Sailed with friends on Swan 44, just south of Annapolis for day sail. Winds arrived around 11AM, were up around 15 with some gusts. We headed back to the slip around 6 and had variable winds from 8 to 13Knots....Had a beautiful peaceful sail up South River. The bay didn't seem crowded at all, perhaps the threat of thunderstorms kept folks away. I only counted 4 jetskis and maybe 3 'cigarette' boats. Good thing about them, they're past in a flash.
Summer's started and it was glorious sailing !
One thing you can count on with the weather reports, is that usually they change. Weather just is variable ~
A bad day on the water and is better than any day on land.
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Old 05-25-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Got out of town Thursday, had a nice sail from the N. End of the Swinomish Channel to Rosario Strait before the wind ran out. First night at Spencer Spit, second night at Clark Island, third night at Eagle Harbor, fourth night at Coronet Bay where we ended up on a float with a large raft of power boaters. Didn't mind the dock party, but generators and music playing into the evening got a little tiring. Got up early this morning so we could get back in the channel before the tide was too low. Now it's doing the laundry and some chores to get ready to do it again next weekend! whoohoo!
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 05-25-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Well head back home today we ran into Windgeist (Taran37Chef) and think we saw Mandolin ( Todd) going in Rock Creek or around Rock Creek.

Good seeing you Shaun. Was that you Todd?

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-26-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Great sailing weekend mostly...we got a late start Saturday and decided head over to Swan Creek, Sunday, we ended up meeting my parents in Annapolis for dinner. There was not much wind Monday so it ended up being a 3 hour motor from Annapolis

I think I got some good pictures of your boat chef2sail, I'll send them to you by PM as soon as I upload them Boat was looking good!
Old 05-26-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Made it Saturday morning and the forcast pushed back the advisory to 4pm!!

We were out from 10am to 3pm and it was fantastic.

Then it picked up just as predicted.

Sunday we came back and cleaned.

Found a way to make little 15sec movies with my camera.

Playing them is another story!!
Old 05-26-2009

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Cool Memorial Day weekend and the airways and waterways were busy

We are up on the hard getting some tasks done. The boat has been in the water for almost three years and it was time for some bottom paint and replace the zincs. I was also doing some teak on the mother ship and the dink. Also some sewing, a new main stack pack style cover and replacing the windlass cover. Thank goodness the breeze was refreshing as we worked but I can say, we were sorry to not be out on the water. Kent Narrows was busy with boat traffic. In fact we could count on getting stopped driving over the bridge due to it being up at each scheduled opening.

We tend to keep the radio on as we do chores and were concerned to hear "Jongoose" calling for TowBoat US with engine trouble. We are interested to learn how it is going for you? We hope it was a simple fix to remedy your problem and you were out to sail again the next day.

The other thing we heard on the radio was bridge problems at Knapps Narrows. Was anyone "stuck" there? It sounded like the tender was helpless to get the issue resolved until an electrician could come from the Western Shore. Yikes. Sounds like a trip around the tip of the island would be in order.

Here's to a great 09 sailing season. We can't wait to get back out there.

Leslie and Clayton

S/V "Tango"
CR 34
Kent Narrows (on the hard)
Old 05-26-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Shaun,

You guys were looking great. We were just testing the limits of the sandbar off Fort Smallwood and the section up to Bodkin and marking them on the chartplotter for future use when racing.

Last year they were quite usefull as we were 3 abreast one evening racing and we tacked just in time as the other two racers stopped dead.

We still dont have all of the canvas quite ready yet as Donna is still sewing and piecing the stuff together. We would appreciate the pictures if they come out.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner