SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Memorial Day Weekend 2009 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/54540-memorial-day-weekend-2009-a.html)

WouldaShoulda 05-21-2009 09:10 AM

Memorial Day Weekend 2009

Looks like Saturday is shaping up to be the day to be on the water sailing!!

Wind is predicted to be lighter Sunday and Monday.

Of course, it's been known to change!!

T37Chef 05-21-2009 02:38 PM

I am almost embarrassed to say this weekend will be our first sail of the season!!! We're hoping to head over to the Wye or up the Chester, not that it matters much where, as long as we get out. We had a lot of projects, some were a result of starting another (well honey, since we have 1/3 of the headliner down why don't we just replace it all...ok honey, that sounds easy enough...LOL), you know the drill ;)

A couple of little projects to finish Friday, then we'll head out early Saturday morning through Monday.

I'm looking forward to having a working depth gauge once again and getting to know my new sailing instruments.

The engine is no longer leaking fuel with a refurbished injector pump :)
(By the way, I have to give a big kudos to Arundel Injectors near BWI Airport, they were very professional, completed the work with-in two days after I dropped it off, and charged a fair price IMO, even painted the thing!)

No leaks with the new pennent and trough hull hose.

The hull looks great (thanks to Mainesail and his tips).

And lastly, I am excited to see how the new traveler works and the set up we did.

Give us a shout if any of you see us out there; S/V Windgeist, Tartan 37, blue canvas, white hull, dingy davit :)

WouldaShoulda 05-21-2009 02:50 PM

Ours too, that's why I'm so excited to get going!!

Jeff_H 05-21-2009 02:54 PM

I'll probably be heading over to the Miles River area myself. I always think that one should never head to the Miles River on a holiday weekend because of the powerboat wakes, yet I seem to do it way more than would make sense otherwise.

I'll keep an eye out for Windgeist. BTW, T37, was that you that I ran into and who actually recognized me in the new Whole Foods a couple weeks back?

Jeff

T37Chef 05-21-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 488393)
I'll probably be heading over to the Miles River area myself. I always think that one should never head to the Miles River on a holiday weekend because of the powerboat wakes, yet I seem to do it way more than would make sense otherwise.

I'll keep an eye out for Windgeist. BTW, T37, was that you that I ran into and who actually recognized me in the new Whole Foods a couple weeks back?

Jeff

Yup, that was me, you are a celebrity around these parts...didnt you know that? :) It was good to see you, if only for a quick chat. I was there checking out the Whole Foods Culinary Center they just added. We will be teaching some classes there, I'm doing on for fun on hand rolled pasta, should be fun, if it goes.

PalmettoSailor 05-21-2009 03:46 PM

I'll be setting sail from Annapolis 'round about 10:30 tomorrow AM heading "Down the Bay" in pursuit of the Virginia Cruising Cup. This will be my first trip down the bay and my first really long distance race. I'll be crew on Nereid, a Tartan 40 in the PHRF B fleet.
Weatherwise, I hope something changes and we get a bit more wind than forecast, or at least an unforecast change in direction. Most any change would be an improvement to the light winds out of the south forecast for the expected duration of the race.

I think its going to be a lot of fun and will be a great chance to experience parts of the bay to revisit at a more leisiurely pace on our own boat in the future.

Bill
s/v Palmetto Moon

mgmhead 05-21-2009 04:20 PM

Not my first sail of the season but I'm surely looking forward to being on the Chesapeake again this weekend. The Rock Hall Sailing Club will host a point-to-point race and group overnight anchor, destination to be determined on Saturday morning in order to take advantage of prevailing winds. Hail Rhythm sould you happen to see her...I'll be glad to meet you.

Fair Winds...MGM

wwilson 05-21-2009 06:51 PM

Our first sail of the season begins Saturday. We will head south for 10-12 days (retired) with stops at Crisfield, Onancock and Cape Charles municipal harbor. (We drag too much lead to fit into Kings Ck.) Warm, sunny weather would be nice, but not essential.

Cape Charles was a favorite stop, despite a "rustic", though very hospitable, municipal harbor. They are involved in a fairly major renovation of the harbor with 44 new floating docks planned. Maybe we'll find one or two ready & available for rent.

The town of Cape Charles is a short walk (across the RR tracks) and was a delight 4-years ago. In any case, we always find a way to enjoy time on the boat and look forward to it after 6-long months off.

Wayne

pdqaltair 05-22-2009 12:18 AM

The renovated Cape Charles Hotel was quite a nice treat last time I was there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwilson (Post 488444)
Our first sail of the season begins Saturday. We will head south for 10-12 days (retired) with stops at Crisfield, Onancock and Cape Charles municipal harbor. (We drag too much lead to fit into Kings Ck.) Warm, sunny weather would be nice, but not essential.

Cape Charles was a favorite stop, despite a "rustic", though very hospitable, municipal harbor. They are involved in a fairly major renovation of the harbor with 44 new floating docks planned. Maybe we'll find one or two ready & available for rent.

The town of Cape Charles is a short walk (across the RR tracks) and was a delight 4-years ago. In any case, we always find a way to enjoy time on the boat and look forward to it after 6-long months off.

Wayne

A small step into the past and a very comfortable way to pass a few stormy days.

mltroy 05-22-2009 01:16 AM

We'll be out this weekend too. We've never actually been to the Miles over Memorial Day Weekend, so why not? Leaving tomorrow to visit a friend on Kent Island then on to the Wye to find our sailing club and then St. Michael's.

Mary Lou
Fretless
Rhodes 22
Rock Hall, MD