Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009

TAK is on a distinguished road
Fishing

I was wondering who fishes / trolls while sailing on the bay and what do you use / catch?

Something I have been thinking about doing. I figure it is a skill I need to develop when cruising..
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2009

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
Haven't sailed the bay, but I love dragging a line while sailing. I'm out there anyway, and if I hook a fish, it's just a nice bonus. Haven't had much luck here in the Pamlico River but have caught some great fish on offshore trips.

I like trolling a Clark spoon or some kind of bright-colored skirt lure, usually with a small planer to get it down below the surface a little bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 06-04-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Did you know that you need to have a license (at least in the MD portions of the Bay -- not sure about VA)? When I first learned about this, I was surprised. In other areas where I've lived, we only needed a fishing license for inland freshwater.

Every other year, I buy a fishing license for the boat when I renew the state decal. The license is only good for a year and is a bit pricey in my opinion. So I invariably wonder whether it's worth it for the sort of casual trolling we sometimes do.

Every now and again we hook something up. Usually a striper (rockfish) or bluefish. If you are trolling, the key to getting a fish aboard is that you must stop the boat -- you can't just continue along under full sail (unless you're crawling along). This delay can be a bit aggravating, especially if you're clawing to windward on a schedule.

Also, while I've never snagged a "keeper" rockfish from our sailboat, even if we did, the fishing regs require that we "land" the fish before filleting it for the grill. So you can't legally catch a fish enroute, then just eat it at anchor somewhere. You have to bring it ashore first.

Don't mean to discourage you at all, just mentioning some of the practical realities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-04-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Did you know that you need to have a license (at least in the MD portions of the Bay -- not sure about VA)?

Also, while I've never snagged a "keeper" rockfish from our sailboat, even if we did, the fishing regs require that we "land" the fish before filleting it for the grill. So you can't legally catch a fish enroute, then just eat it at anchor somewhere. You have to bring it ashore first.
Yes, the fishing license for salt water fishing is becoming much more commonplace. It is supposedly an attempt by the 'Fisheries Mgmt' agencies to get a handle on the recreational catch and is now required in NY state.

Having to "land" a fish before eating it is absurd. It is somewhat akin to the tags you used to find on mattresses that read "Do not remove under penalty of law". Neither of these are enforceable. I say eat the evidence!

Everybody has one:

Old 06-04-2009

Yes I knew I needed a license for fishing - $50 for the boat and that will include all persons on board and a license I can carry. I was not aware of the "landing" of a fish.. seems kinda silly - will need to look into that rule..

Do you guys have poles or run a heavy line off the back? How much weight does one need to achieve a good depth?
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 06-04-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
Yes I knew I needed a license for fishing - $50 for the boat and that will include all persons on board and a license I can carry. I was not aware of the "landing" of a fish.. seems kinda silly - will need to look into that rule..

Do you guys have poles or run a heavy line off the back? How much weight does one need to achieve a good depth?
The "land the fish first" rule initially seemed silly to me too, but it actually makes a lot of sense. The reason for it is that there are size and take limits. If you were allowed to fillet the fish on board -- there would be absolutely no way to enforce those limits.

I use my surf casting rod for trolling -- but it is large and cumbersome. If you want to fish while underway, much better would be a stubby trolling rod. At anchor, a fly rod would be my first choice.

Old 06-04-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
I love fishing in the bay $ 50.00 is well worth it. If that is too much I am surprised you have a boat. Wait till you catch a trophy with no motor, I had one hit this spring only 15' out. Kayak fishing is great also.
Old 06-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
I love fishing in the bay $ 50.00 is well worth it. If that is too much I am surprised you have a boat. Wait till you catch a trophy with no motor, I had one hit this spring only 15' out. Kayak fishing is great also.

It's not a question of affording. I like fishing too. I do most of my fishing in the Atlantic, where I don't need a license. Like I said, for the amount of fishing we do from the sailboat in the Chesapeake, I wonder whether it's worth the price. If you get a lot of use from your license, you may feel differently.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 06-04-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2009

IN TIDAL WATERS OF THE STATE IT IS UNLAWFUL:

1. to have in one's possession aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland any striped bass CUT UP or FILLET during the open or closed season for striped bass. Striped bass must be landed whole.

2. to have in one's possession aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland more than fifteen (15) pounds of any fish CUT UP upon which a size or weight limit is prescribed by law or regulations.

7. during striped bass season to fillet a striped bass. Striped bass must be landed whole.

So under the rules it would seem I cannot go to Annapolis Seafood buy some rock fish and grill it at anchor on my boat ..
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 06-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
IN TIDAL WATERS OF THE STATE IT IS UNLAWFUL:

1. to have in one's possession aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland any striped bass CUT UP or FILLET during the open or closed season for striped bass. Striped bass must be landed whole.

2. to have in one's possession aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland more than fifteen (15) pounds of any fish CUT UP upon which a size or weight limit is prescribed by law or regulations.

7. during striped bass season to fillet a striped bass. Striped bass must be landed whole.

So under the rules it would seem I cannot go to Annapolis Seafood buy some rock fish and grill it at anchor on my boat ..

A literal reading would support that.

If it helps any, I was told that you need only save the wrappers/receipt from the market, at least until you've finished eating it. Once it's no longer aboard, you're compliant again.