Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Gate I started paying closer attention, and learning the rythum.....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2009

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
for my day to day sailing on the Potomac south of Mason Neck I don't worry too much but I do check since it can affect docking strategy.

But when going downriver towards the Bay or upriver to the marina in DC for painting it makes a huge difference (4 hrs. v. 6 hrs. to/from DC, 5 kt. SOG v. 7 kt.) and I try to time trips with the tide.

Pearson 26 #1200

Last edited by fendertweed; 06-15-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Very simple, really - it depends on the Delaware only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
When motoring, Up here on the tidal Delaware River it's always a consideration when going up or down river. Most sailboats can only do 2-3 knots against the flow, however when running with, it can be 7-9 knots combined with the flow and motor.

Now the C&D canal, I've not really figured out yet. Does the tide spilt in 2 directions?

When sailing and or motoring do most sailors account for tidal flow on the Bay?
A slight over simplification, but the range on the Delaware is SO MUCH greater than the range of the Chesapeake, the Delaware dominates.

If it is high on the Delaware, the current is towards the West, low, to the East.

Figuring out the currents and tides in the upper Chesapeake is more complex, because of this interaction of 2 bodies.

On the Chesapeake, in general, tides are strong near the mouth and in the Elk river area. Otherwise they are 1 knot or less and make some difference. On the Delaware you plan your day around the tide, on the Chesapeake, generally not.

Generally.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 06-13-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
pdqaltair said it correctly. The tides will be a huge factor in the C&D canal as thery are on the Delaware. The canal is a narrow body of water and accentuates the speed of the tidal current. Once you get past their influence (Elk or Bohemia River) where the Bay begins to widen out, there is no need to worry about the tides when traveling, consult them when anchoring in 6 feet of water at high tide and draw 5 ft. I use Eldridge extensively. One nice thing about the C-80 Raymarine Chartplotter I have it can be set to show the tide current as a vector arrow with its speed. It can visually explain why on the Delaware you are standing in front of the Salem Nuke Plant for 4 hours making only 4 knots SOG or your fly by it at 10 knotss SOG. (Electronics can be a great aid to navigation and information but should never replace the tide tables and charts)

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-13-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
[quote=hphoen;496035]I agree with John. In all the years that I sailed on the Cheasapeake, I never worried about the tidal current. It's so small that it's not worth agonizing over. I think the most I ever saw was a knot, usually less.quote]

I sail mostly in the central Chesapeake Bay, from Annapolis to the Choptank River. Tides are not a consideration. But the first time i was sailing in the Northern Bay (in the years before GPS) I was sailing on a beautiful day and i noticed everyone else heading North was motoring. I laughed and kept sailing. I was in a new area and was marking the chart as I passed channel markers. On one tack I marked the buoy and sailed across the Bay and back and as I went to mark the chart as I passed that marker I noticed I had passed it earlier! I lowered sails and joined the motoring fleet!fficeffice" />>>
Old 06-14-2009

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Up here in SE Alaska ..tides are big ,sometimes twenty footers .
Minus four foot some times .
The fishermen tought me to ride the tide where you are going .
If it take s another few days to ride ..it saves time in the long run ..And fuel.

This time of year it doesnt matter what time of day ,you can see seventeen hours in the twenty four clearly. the rest is the gray dawn before day light .
Old 06-14-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
the only time the currents really matter in mid Chesapeake is at Kent Narrows. There can be a pretty strong current there and you need to watch it doesnt put you on the drawbridge before it opens - nothing that cant be overcome but it is good to be aware of which way it is going
Old 06-14-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
the only time the currents really matter in mid Chesapeake is at Kent Narrows. There can be a pretty strong current there and you need to watch it doesnt put you on the drawbridge before it opens - nothing that cant be overcome but it is good to be aware of which way it is going
Same is true at Knapps Narrows, Smith and Tangier Islands.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 06-15-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Paying attention to tidal flow at and through the canal is imperitive.

Otherwise, not so much.
Old 06-15-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Up here it's imperative all of the time as the currents can top 7 knots in some places. I've done some sailing backwards with the knotmeter reading 5 knots of forward progress. Kinda strange to be doing 5-6 knots as you tack up the bay only to keep reaching the same point of land while watching the anchored crab pots outrun ya to windward.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.