Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Was it Windy 6/21/09

This is my second year on the Chesapeake Bay with a 24' Trojan Lapworth ( same model Robin Graham sailed around in). I was out this Sunday and winds where about 20-25 knots I guess and I didn't have to reef the sails, am I to confidant ?
I was solo
I have old sails
I was heeling a few times at 40 degrees
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Well, it was probably 15-20 with a few gusts to 22kn (mid Bay, according to my inst).

It was not really gusty. So, yes, that is the kind of minimal small craft advisory conditions that can make one cocky.

What will bring you back to earth is a good old stomping in a thunderstorm with a few 70kt gusts. Everyone needs to get smacked by a thunderstorm once, get completely beaten, to respect what nature has, whatever your boat.

But it sure was a super sailing day!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2009

I was in a thunder storm last year with over 70 knts. but already had my sail down and under motor. Do people try and sail through that ?
Old 06-22-2009

pdqaltair did you go out early? 8:00 am the Rhode river had white caps but your right the bay seemed fine. North winds made it feel like fall.
Old 06-22-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
On Saturday we were in Rock Hall picking up Haleakula after its 1500 hr Yanmar maintenance before our upcoming trip to Mystic. I was very very impressed with the professional work and attention to detail the mechanic at Haven Harbor Marina paid to our engine as well as the cost and timeliness of their work. We had the mixer replaced, both engine water pumps (raw and fresh) replaced, a new thermostat, the heater core removed and dipped, a few new hoses and belts, and a new fuel lifter pump. Hard to find in this day and age and I would heartily recommend them to anyone. We played musical cars as we live north of Baltimore and keep her on Rock Creek, for two weekends just to take it there.

We stay at our slip there sat afternoon to see the huge Thunderstorm line with tornado warnings move over the Bay right next to us. Saw one bank of clouds heading NW at 30 knots and right beside it a bank moving SE at a similar speed. We finally flew across the bay to anchor in Broad Creek in front of the glass house (one of our favorite spots to stay out of the predicted 20 knot NW wind shift that evening.

Sunday we beat our way back home in steady 22 knots with gusts to 42. Was a fun day for sailing with plenty of spray on the dodger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-22-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Well... on the southern bay it was more like a sustained 20 knots.

I saw a quite a few gusts to 30-35 in the anchorage in Mobjack Bay before we left.

It settled down a bit by 1:30-2:00 with gusts only to 25 kts.

Great sail downwind for us, broad reach to a run.

Not too crowded on the bay...

We took one wave over the quarter and into the cockpit.

Docking was a bit of a challenge but otherwise a good day.
Old 06-22-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
On Sunday we sailed from Baltimore's Inner Harbor to our slip at the Sailing Empoorium in Rock Hall in just over 3 hours. That's a trip that on Friday took 5.5 hours, wind on the nose and fighting a current. Friday was not fun, Sunday's sail was terrific.

Hope those who got out enjoyed the day as much as my wife and I. Couldn't actually say what the wind speed was, my dial always reads 8 mph. I'll get that fixed one of these days...MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 06-22-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
I was in a thunder storm last year with over 70 knts. but already had my sail down and under motor. Do people try and sail through that ?
Well, it seems, like always that conditions vary from time to time, and place to place. I probably understate wind speeds, because I only look at the gauge when I am bored, not when going like nuts. I was quite please to see 10 knots for 15 minutes at a crack, no surfing. Of course, my Stiletto would have been going 15+ and scaring me to death, rather than having a nice day with the grandparents on-board.

But all agree it was a grand day!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 06-22-2009

saltydawg is on a distinguished road
We got our butts kicked Sunday trying to kayak out of a back country camp site as Assateague Island National Seashore. After the kayaks went backwards, we abandoned them with some of the gear and hikes out on foot. We had 3 little kids with us and no more water to camp out longer, so leaving on foot was the best bet. The winds and waves were unreal! We're heading back on a kayak rescue mission (without the kids) tomorrow.
Wish us luck!

Old 06-26-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Uh, yeah, it must've been windy, this was towed into our marina at the end of the day: