Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Chesapeake Bay Cruise 2009

Fun stuff, we're planning our annual summer cruise and wanted to get some recommendations and hear some of your ideas. We leave July 3rd and return the 12th, Sure, a little behind with the planning, not stressing over it thats for sure

Last year we made it to Oxford, Solomons, St Marys, and St Michaels...this year we have a few more days, ya hoo Like last year, we're interested in spending time in the Southern portion of the bay.

We prefer the hook, with a marina/pool thrown in once, maybe even twice if the thermometer starts hitting triple digits . Restaurants are not much of an interest (occupational hazard), but I'll try a good crab house recommendation anytime (must be kid friendly, see "crew" below). Local points of interest are always good, even if with in a few miles (we'll be taking the bikes along). (BTW, We loved the Maritime museum in Solomons and Historic St. Mary's City last year)

Below is a list of areas I would be interested in hearing anything you have to share about them; worth it/not, local knowledge, highlights, must sees, avoid, where to/not to anchor, etc. (Yes, I have used the bay guides and Internet sites, just find input from y'all more fun)

Other suggestions welcome and if you don't care to share your anchorages publicly, please don't hesitate to send me a PM

All of these places I/we have never been...
  • Little Choptank
  • Tangier
  • Brenton Bay off the Potomac
  • Rappahannock River - Corrotoman River Inlet
  • Fishing Bay Inlet - Deltaville
  • Mobjack Bay
  • Honga River
About the boat:
44' LOA (including dingy on davit, dingy has a 2 hp outboard)
4'2" Draft

And the "crew"
Me
The Wife
5 yr old daughter
3 yr old daughter
no pets

I think I covered it all?

Thanks, I look forward to reading your replies, and hopefully a good debate over something?

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-24-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
For kids, Tangier is unforgetable, at least for the 5-year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Fun stuff, we're planning our annual summer cruise and wanted to get some recommendations and hear some of your ideas. We leave July 3rd and return the 12th, Sure, a little behind with the planning, not stressing over it thats for sure

Last year we made it to Oxford, Solomons, St Marys, and St Michaels...this year we have a few more days, ya hoo Like last year, we're interested in spending time in the Southern portion of the bay.

We prefer the hook, with a marina/pool thrown in once, maybe even twice if the thermometer starts hitting triple digits . Restaurants are not much of an interest (occupational hazard), but I'll try a good crab house recommendation anytime (must be kid friendly, see "crew" below). Local points of interest are always good, even if with in a few miles (we'll be taking the bikes along). (BTW, We loved the Maritime museum in Solomons and Historic St. Mary's City last year)

Below is a list of areas I would be interested in hearing anything you have to share about them; worth it/not, local knowledge, highlights, must sees, avoid, where to/not to anchor, etc. (Yes, I have used the bay guides and Internet sites, just find input from y'all more fun)

Other suggestions welcome and if you don't care to share your anchorages publicly, please don't hesitate to send me a PM

All of these places I/we have never been...
  • Little Choptank
  • Tangier
  • Brenton Bay off the Potomac
  • Rappahannock River - Corrotoman River Inlet
  • Fishing Bay Inlet - Deltaville
  • Mobjack Bay
  • Honga River
About the boat:
44' LOA (including dingy on davit, dingy has a 2 hp outboard)
4'2" Draft

And the "crew"
Me
The Wife
5 yr old daughter
3 yr old daughter
no pets

I think I covered it all?

Thanks, I look forward to reading your replys, and hopefully a good debate over something?
My daughter has made me go back many times. The lack of cars is novel. The marina owner has about 25 cats, which is entertaining. There is a nice beach at the south end of the island that you can easily walk to. She likes Tangier far more than Smith Island.

I'm not positive of the draft, but I believe there is 6' if approached from the west. The east is a little less. The marina (Parks) can take good size yachts on the bulkhead, but do call ahead for that.

The town of Cape Charles is nice too, if you have not been there.

James Island off the Little Choptank is neat with kids, but you would have to stay some distance out and dingy over. Not that far from the center Island, actually, not if the tide is in some.

Some of this is discussed on my blog, below (see oldest posts).

Enjoy!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2009
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Ditto on Tangier. Cape Charles is a don't miss. A sunset at the Aqua Restaurant at the Marina is spectacular. Bike ride into the town of Cape Charles. Sail down to Kiptopeake south of Cape Charles. Concrete ships there make a breakwater for a nice stay on the hook. Big current though so stay close to the pier.
In Breton Bay go all the way up and anchor in front of Leonardtown. Walk to the town, nice place.
Old 06-24-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Ditto on Tangier.

We went there with our old boat - 4'3" draft so you should be OK with 4'2".

I recommend docking bow in at parks marina. It gets shallower towards the dock and when the tide went out our rudder was in the mud.

Bay Creek Marina at Cape Charles is a top notch facility and Aqua is a favorite as well.

The only drawback with Bay Creek is that it is full of powerboaters ;-)

/Jorgen
Old 06-24-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Ditto on Cape Charles, Bay Creek Marina is fantastic, although a bit pricey. The other option is the municipal marina.

You should consider Crisfield or Onacock, did both last year and especially enjoyed Onacock.

Herrington South does a rather noteworthy 4th of July firework show, if it's calm you can anchor in Herring Bay to enjoy the show.

Have a great trip!

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 06-24-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
A few more places to ponder for your itenerary.

While I haven't yet made the trip yet myself, my slip neighbor tells me St. Marys, off the Potomac is the most scenic place he's ever been on the bay. I had planned to go up before the 4th but a conflict has arisen so I won't make it.

Sandy Point on the Great Wicomico is as to me just as nice an anchorage as Fishing Bay and its less congested as there is no marina or yachtclub. It could make a fine place for the kids to swim after a nettle check.

If you're ready for some amenities while near Deltaville, there are a multidue of options. Stingray Harbor Yacht Club on Broad Creek has slips reserved for reciprocating clubs, so that might be a low cost option for you. Otherwise there are probably a 1/2 dozen marinas with transient slips for you to choose from.

You mentioned the Corrotoman and the west branch is another one of our favorite anchorages. Tuck in close to the bank below the cable ferry and enjoy. We have been the only boat in the ancorage the times we've been there but we've just lbeen ucky. I've seen several boats anchored there when flying over on the way home.

Onancock is also a great stop and one of the places you can see a good deal of on foot. I recently saw an article that the town was voted the coolest small town in the SE and was in the top 10 coolest small towns in the US, by the readers of Budget Travel Magazine.
Old 06-24-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
St Marys and Tangiers I would also add. of our most favorite places. We do Spring Cove Maina when we stay in Solomans.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-25-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
A couple more western shore options for you to consider betweem Great Wicomico and the Piankatank. I previously mentioned Sandy Point on the GW as a nice anchorage, if however you are looking for amenites in that area, Consider Horn Harbor or Reedville. Both have restaraunts that attract sailors to stop there.

Slightly further south, is Dividing Creek with several options for quiet secluded anchorages. Lawrence cove near the head of Dividing Creek makes for a nice tight spot and it has been nettle free the times we've been there.

Even further south is Little Bay/Indian Creek which both offer options for anchoring. You can dingy over to the beach at Little Bay to stretch your legs. The place is not unknown to powerboats though.

You mentioned Fishing Bay which is a very scenic anchorage with room for lots of boats. It is however somewhat busy with a couple of marinas and small boat racing regularly. If the winds are from the south, Godfrey Bay (across the Piankatank from FB is a nice anchorage with 17' of water up close to shore. There is usually less going on over there that the FB side.

Lastly, I have to at least mention Carter Creek and the Tides Inn. If you feel the need for some pampering, Tides Inn is your place. Very, very pricy though, so we haven't been there yet, though we plan to treat ourselves one of these days. We have anchored nearby in Yopps Cove and have explored the creek in the dink. Its a lovely area with many beautiful homes featuring private docks, most of which sport a Duffy electic picnic boat plus whatever other boat is berthed there. You'll likely see the residents zipping to a fro on these pretty little boats like sans-a-belters on golf carts at a retirement community. lol

Anyway, those should give a few places to consider if the mileage between the more often mentioned places doesn't work out and you need other options.

Have a great trip!
Old 06-25-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
St Marys and Tangiers I would also add. of our most favorite places. We do Spring Cove Maina when we stay in Solomans.

Dave
I also think St Mary's is a great stop. I spent over 15 years living aboard in Solomons and Spring Cove is a nice well maintained facility. Beacon Marina is also right there and will be somewhat cheaper, but with less facilities. Some side trips might be worthwhile going up the Patuxent. There are 2 mill creeks in the area and both offer good anchorages. The second mill creek is after going north under the fixed bridge and there you will find a park with 3 miles worth of trails. I've anchored in the cove and dingied ashore in the early morning hours to run the trail and spotted a half dozen deer. Further up the river is St. Lenord's Creek with plenty of depth and a unique restaurant even though Vera the long time owner is no longer there. I do miss the area even though there is a lot to explore further north where I'm currently located.
Old 06-26-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
BUMP

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep them coming

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.