SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Mooring buoys on Severn River (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/55924-mooring-buoys-severn-river.html)

dvuyxx 07-05-2009 01:28 AM

Mooring buoys on Severn River

I am moving to a waterfront property on the Severn River (Severna Park, MD in Anne Arundel County) later this Fall. Does anyone have experience or know how to establish a mooring buoy? This would be in Yanz Cove. Is this something you need to secure through the county, state, or USCG?

T37Chef 07-05-2009 11:43 AM

Contact the County, AA County has strict permits on anything related to water or building...and it will probably take you months to get it...and don't even think about doing it without a permit!!! Ask the guy who built is house behind Dobbins Island ;)

dvuyxx 07-05-2009 05:19 PM

Thanks Chef. Ha! I've heard about the house on Dobbins Island from my in-laws (live in the area). I'll do it by the book.

T37Chef 07-05-2009 07:54 PM

Yea, unfortunately, from what I understand, his actions lead to a lot of revision to anything related to permits in AA county. A friend of ours has a place right near Dobbins and had a hell of time getting permits to rebuild his pier after TS Isabel hit the bay. Craitoo just did a pier, on the Magothy, you might try sending him a PM ;)

dvuyxx 07-08-2009 09:49 PM

Suprising update. It turns out that Anne Arundel Co, The State of MD, or any other governing body, does NOT require any permits of any kind for mooring buoys provided they do not impede private or public access such as private piers or public channels.

bloodhunter 07-09-2009 09:55 AM

mooring buoys

When I lived in Severna Park on the Magothy, as I remember, people had to go thru the USCG for mooring buoys. Seems that for anything connected to the land you had to go through the county and the environment folks, on the water it was the Coasties. This was about 15 years ago so my memory may be faulty. Anyway it doesn't hurt to check

JohnRPollard 07-09-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvuyxx (Post 503786)
Suprising update. It turns out that Anne Arundel Co, The State of MD, or any other governing body, does NOT require any permits of any kind for mooring buoys provided they do not impede private or public access such as private piers or public channels.

This is consistent with my understanding.

bloodhunter 07-09-2009 02:27 PM

Don't know Yantz cove, but Cattail Creek where I lived was very narrow, had a lot of private pieres and a community marina. I bleived the check with the USCG was to determine whether a mooring was impeding access

tri413 07-17-2009 01:11 PM

When I asked the USCG about installing a mooring they replied:

Quote:

Sir you will need permit from the Virginia Marine Resource Commission, the United States Coast Guard and the Corps of Engineers. I would recommend you start at VMRC.

sailingdog 07-17-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri413 (Post 506192)
When I asked the USCG about installing a mooring they replied:

exactly, how would this apply to someone in MARYLAND?????:rolleyes: