Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009
Varvet 31

Lucyvincent is on a distinguished road
Moving to Baltimore with Varvet 31

I am moving from Long Island to Baltimore (Mt. Washington) at the end of the summer and planning to sail my Varvet 31 from Sag Harbor. The boat draws 5'6". Any advice on marinas for next summer and boat yards for the winter would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to sailing the Chesapeake!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I would look at marinas on the Patapsco & Middle River, for convience by car, the Magothy or South for better sailing access.

Middle river can be very crowed on the weekend plus alot of crab pots at the mouth and around Hart & Miller Island, but it's cheap when compared to many other places...lots of competition.

The Patapsco has many marinas to choose, if you're looking for quick access to the bay? Look at marinas on Rock Creek or Bodkin Creek. I would avoid Stoney Creek (Lot of stink pots)

The Magothy is the best IMO, but there are limited public marinas there, some are pretty pricey Of course you're approaching Annapolis

That said, Annapolis is not far from where you're going to be living, about 45 -60 minutes.
Old 07-05-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Welcome, see you on the bay.
Old 07-05-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
As the Chef said Rock and Bodkin Creeks off the Patapsco are great places as they afford quick access to the Bay, and offer greast protection. When it is to fierce on the bay you can sail the river usually. Also from the Pata[sco you can get to many places North and South in a day to explore.

Chef and I are both on Rock Creek. Welcome aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-08-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Smile Welcome to Balmer

Nice area you're moving to. My wife and I live in Locust point in the inner harbor near Fort McHenry.
First thing, you don't want a marina in Baltimore. My wife and I lived on our boat in a Baltimore Harbor marina while our townhouse was being build and we didn't like it at all. The water is filthy as in sickening and it takes two hours on the Patapsco river to get out to the bay.
I've had boats on the Chesapeake since 1972 and have been in marina on the Rhode River, Back Creek in Annapolis, the Magothy, West River and finally Herrington Harbour South on Herring Bay (about 25 miles south of Annapolis.
There are lots of marinas on the Patapsco, some reasonably close to the bay. The problem is once you get out you're on the northern end of the bay, still a long way from most of the places you will want to go.
The Magothy is a really nice river. We lived in Severna Park in a waterfront house on Cattail Creek off the Magothy and it took us 45 minutes to get out to the bay. The problem with the Magothy is there are very few marinas and it would be hard to find a place.
Next stop is the Annapolis area and the Severn River. Annapolis is much more centrally located than the Magothy and the Patapsco but it is expensive, one of the pricest places on the bay and it is jammed both with cars and boats. Annapolis is great for restaurants and ambience but it can be a real nightmare getting out of it on Sunday depening where your marina is.
Next we come to the Rhode River/West River. (Im skipping the South River, powerboat heaven) Nice rivers, much less crowded than Annapolis but a lot of shallow areas. There are a number of marinas there, less expensive than Annapolis. Centrally located bu the entrance to the river is guarded by long shoals, Take you over and hour to get out to the bay if your heading south.
Next is Herring Bay. That's where we are now. An hour from Baltimore there are marinas all along Herring bay from Deale to Herrington South most are less pricey than Herrington.
Herrington South is one of the nicest marinas on the bay, very well kept with lots of amenities for when you only do a day sail or you just don't feel like going anywhere. It is in the middle bay area which gives us easy sailing access to Annapolis, the Magothy, the Chester Rriver, St Michaels, Oxford and the Solomons. If we push it we can get down to the Rappahannock before nightfall. When get out of the Marina its another ten minutes to the bay. It costs us $6200 to dock Enchantress, our 46-ft sloop and we feel its worth every penny.
My advice to you is to get a Chesapeake Bay Cruising guide that among other things will give you a list of Marinas, then drive to most likely ones. I suggest this because some places that look very close on the map take a long time to get to because of roads and traffic. To drive to Bodkin Creek from Mount Washington, might take you nearly as much time a my drive to Herrington mainly because the only access is Mountain Road which can get jammed up on weekends. Also you'll get a chance to actually see the marinas and talk to the slipholders.
Good luck and if theres any help we can give let me know
Old 07-08-2009

I agree with what bloodhunter said about Herrington Harbor being a class marina. Its a great place. And you pay for it. Our slip 54 ft X16 ft costs $4200 with all the club fees and chits included. Thats about a $2000 savings. If you think the ride on a Friday/ Saturday is bad try going south of Annapolis. The normal 1 hour drive will take 2 at least. Thats 4 round trip as you will have the beach traffic to contend with around Annapolis and route 50. The 1/2 hour ride to the marinas on Rock Creek and Bodkin Creek via the desolate Key Bridge are no different on weekends or week days. There are many places to visit north of the bridge plus we can in a days sail get to many of the places Bloodhunter mentioned such as Deal, herrington, West and Rhoide Rivers, Tillman Island, St Michaels and its only 4 hours or so to Annapolis and thats all south of the bridge. There are no nettles once above Poplar Island also usually as the water is less brackish.

I would suggest staying close to Baltimore the first few years and do as Bloodhunter did work your way down the bay as you get bored.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-09-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The normal 1 hour drive will take 2 at least. Thats 4 round trip as you will have the beach traffic to contend with around Annapolis and route 50. The 1/2 hour ride to the marinas on Rock Creek and Bodkin Creek via the desolate Key Bridge are no different on weekends or week days.
Dave
That's why I suggested driving. I think you'll find it takes a lot longer than 1/2 hour to get to Rock Creek or Bodkin Creek, try it and see. Also in five years of driving to Herrington South, It has only taken more than an hour when there was an accident and that has only happened a couple of times. Usually I leave Friday after work and return Sunday afternoon. But as I suggested drive and see what you can put up with
Old 07-09-2009

Bloodhunter,

I drive from Towson to the Maryland Yacht Club, the furthest marina on Rock Creek, but the closest to the bay and Patapsco and mopst it has ever taken me is 35 minutes using the Key Bridge. I wouldnt risk the traffic on 97. Three weeks ago the backup was 11 miles and last week it was 7.

Why fight it at all when you can have a nice glass of red from the cockpit of your boat while everyone is creeping toward Route 50. I dont relax until i hear the cork comming out of the bottle.

I like wahat you did staying north for a few years and then moving south.

Dave

Dave

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 07-22-2009
Varvet 31

Lucyvincent is on a distinguished road
Wow, thank you all very much for the advice and the hospitable welcome! Am going to take the most frequent suggestion and start north (Middle River) then work my way south. Am checking out marinas (starting with the closest to the bay) before the move. Looking forward to a longer sailing season and new destinations.

Lucy Vincent
Old 07-22-2009

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Welcome!

We're in the Magothy, in Deep Creek near the mouth, at a private pier. Location works well for us and gets us out onto the Bay quickly.

Consider joining a local yacht club (Magothy River, Cape Saint Claire, etc) to meet local sailors and get first hand updates on cruising spots.

Let us know when you get in the area!