SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Second Annual SailNet Mid-Chesapeake Rendezvous

11K views 110 replies 26 participants last post by  JohnRPollard 
#1 ·
In the tradition of last year's really big event, I thought it would be a good time to see if there was any interest in those of us from the Chesapeake rendezvousing again perhaps in mid-August. So here is my suggestion for how we do this. Answer the following questions...
  1. Are you interested in coming:
  2. If so by boat or by car?
  3. Would you prefer north or south of the Bay Bridge?
  4. What weekends are you available?
  5. Any suggestions for anchorages or otherwise?
Hopefully, we will have a good turn out yet again....

Jeff

#2 ·
1. Yep
2. Boat
3. North would be cool
4. Most, probably. No travel plans at this time.
5. Bohemia River is purty. Sassafras might be good. Magothy is always do-able. Then again, St. Mike's has plenty of room, good bars, and is closer to those from more southerly areas. (Yes, I know that St. Mike's is SOUTH of the bridge.) Then again, the Rhode River is nice, too. Hell, I'm easy to please. Just tell me where to show up and leave me room to anchor upwind of C2.

#3 ·
*I'm interested!
*Due to time constraints, we'll probably come by car if N of the bridge or by boat if S. No one's giving me any sympathy, either, that are time constraints are due to too busy getting ready to retire and go cruising beginning in Sept.
*Not available 8/8 or 8/29 or 9/5; available (so far) 8/15 and 8/22
*Painkiller's listed most of the good anchorages; consider Mill or Whitehall creeks, just off Whitehall Bay just about "at" the Bridge, as a way to make it easy for those either north or south?

#4 · (Edited)
Great idea...

1. Are you interested in coming: Yes :)
  2. If so by boat or by car? Boat, whats the point otherwise ;)
  3. Would you prefer north or south of the Bay Bridge? No preference
  4. What weekends are you available? August 28th - 30th is NOT good for us, otherwise any weekend looks fine :)
  5. Any suggestions for anchorages or otherwise? Like them all, but the Rhode is a new favorite and seems to be pretty much in the middle :D
A few other questions:

Are kids welcome or is this an adult gathering only?
Who's wants to do a raft up? (We are)

#8 ·

Jeff
Great Idea
Yeah
Boat
Would prefer South but happy to go North
No summer vacation plans so pick your week
Chester River area would be good

Look forward to seeing every one

#10 ·
Count us in. We are up in Mystic today haded for Block Island tomorrow for 2days then working our way back home slowly stopping in Essex, Port Jefferson, Atlantic HIghlands, Barneget Lighthouse, Atlantic City, Cape May then back in the Bohemia where we are meeting a few memebers of our club on our return evening. This trip surely has introduced my wife to true cruising and she has really taken to it. We are comparing restaurants by the quality of their lobster rolls. On our way from Northport bay to Westbrooke we motored by a lbsterman pulling up traps and asked him if he would seel any to us. He oblidged and we took 6 - 2 lbers on board and put them in a bucket of water. When we anchored that night we wrapped them in foil and put them on the Magma Grill. Quite an improtu feast of gluttony for 30 dollars.

Chester River is nice with Cackaway Island one of my favorite places. Anywhere is fine for us though. Whitehall Bay is good too. If we cant find a common spot to congregate we can used the MDYC as we did last year.

Let us know. We are in.

Dave and Donna

#11 ·
1. Maybe weekends are busy times these days...
2. By Boat
3. Just south of Naptown
4. August is a busy time for us. AND I would suggest late September as better weather, cooler temps, etc.
5. Harness Creek, Mill Creek, Rhode River, Crab Alley. I am sure there are others,

#14 ·
1. YES! We didn't have our boat yet last year, and would love to meet some fellow SailNet members.

2. By boat, if at all possible.

3. Prefer South of Bay Bridge, or not too far North.

4. All but weekend of August 8.

Hope we can make it work!

#15 ·
My wife tells me that our daughter's bridal shower is August 15 so that weekend is out . Wondering whether September might be better in terms of weather and people not being on vacation. Also looks from the responses that somewhere in the Chester might be a good compromise. In any case we can come by boat anywhere on the bay that can accommodate a 6-ft keel, any weekend but Aug. 15 and Sep 19

#16 ·
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

yes
boat
north, or only slighty below
any
suggestions, magathy, behind hartmiller, swan or chester above, rhode river below

#18 ·
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

1 Yes
2 Boat
3 South, or slightly North (Magothy)
4 Depends... Some weekends in Aug & Sept work, need to check with the Admiral
5 St Michaels, Wye River, Tilghman, Annapolis (Mill Creak-Cantler's), Gibson Island, Galesville ... too many options to list :)

#19 ·
So far, the weekend of Aug 22 looks clear for everyone. Several folks have also suggested Sept (we'll probably have to miss it in that case)

#20 ·
So here is where we are...

It sounds like August 22nd is the best open weekend.

I would suggest Gray's Inn Creek on the Chester River since its an easy sail, usually empty, and a great place to hang out, not too far north of the Bay Bridge. The short coming here is that you can't get there by car.

Plan 'B' would be to go to Mill Creek off Whitehaul Bay. If we meet at the mouth of Martin's Cove, people coming by car can park in my driveway at the house, and we can ferry them out to the raft up. The short coming of that is that I don't get to sail to the raft up.

Third option that comes to mind would be the West River at Galesville.

Jeff

#22 ·
So here is where we are...

It sounds like August 22nd is the best open weekend.

I would suggest Gray's Inn Creek on the Chester River since its an easy sail, usually empty, and a great place to hang out, not too far north of the Bay Bridge. The short coming here is that you can't get there by car.

Plan 'B' would be to go to Mill Creek off Whitehaul Bay. If we meet at the mouth of Martin's Cove, people coming by car can park in my driveway at the house, and we can ferry them out to the raft up. The short coming of that is that I don't get to sail to the raft up.

Third option that comes to mind would be the West River at Galesville.

Jeff
Gray's Inn Creek can still work by land. There is a boat launch at Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge (just south of Rock Hall) where dinghy's could pick-up those arriving by land and ferry them out to the raft-up.

I know friends that have done so and I'll check it out myself this weekend...MGM

#26 ·
It looks like these locations would work for us, so we're still "in".

That said, I'll throw out a suggestion about locations in general (and perhaps someone already mentioned this but I missed it). If the raft-up is farther up a river (some are easily 10-15 miles from the Bay), that might keep some boats from farther north or farther south of that location from being able to make it. That extra distance up a river can really make a difference. I realize most anchorages are going to be at least few miles off the Bay, of course.

Granted, the locations more immediate to the Bay are also more likely to be crowded on the weekends. But I thought this worth a mention, to try and help folks get there, if possible.
-J

#28 ·
It looks like these locations would work for us, so we're still "in".

That said, I'll throw out a suggestion about locations in general (and perhaps someone already mentioned this but I missed it). If the raft-up is farther up a river (some are easily 10-15 miles from the Bay), that might keep some boats from farther north or farther south of that location from being able to make it. That extra distance up a river can really make a difference. I realize most anchorages are going to be at least few miles off the Bay, of course.

Granted, the locations more immediate to the Bay are also more likely to be crowded on the weekends. But I thought this worth a mention, to try and help folks get there, if possible.
-J
Good point! We're in for either location, but I'd rather spend more time socializing than plan a trip that's a 6-hour sail each way.

#27 · (Edited)
Jeff wriote:

Yes you can get there by car..there's a small community boat yard off Rt 288 and Skinner's Neck road near the head of Gray's Inn Creek..

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Kent Narrows,Md.

#29 ·
We're Coming

July 22 is a good weekend for us and any of the locations mentioned would be fine. It took us about 5.5 hrs to get from our slip in Herrington South to a friend's dock on Blackhole Cove on the Magothy in moderate winds with the last hour very slow as I'd never been to Blackhole Cove before. Figure Grays
Inn Creek shouldn't take any longer since I've been there many times before.
Looking forward to seeing you all and putting names faces
:D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.