Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Manatee on the Bay???!!

I just talked briefly to a couple of guys here at Hartge Yacht Harbor who said there were reports of manatee in the Chesapeake Bay.

I thought maybe they were confusing it with the reports of dolphin a few weeks back but they said no, it was manatee(s). I find it very, very difficult to believe. I've never seen them north of central Florida.

Anybody else heard these reports?

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
In 1995 a Florida manatee was reported in Rhode Island. Summer migrations to the Chesapeake have been observed in the past. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-09-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Saltwater Suzi says it was in the newspaper a week or so ago - I hadn't seen anything but just googled and found:
Ilya, a Miami-Based Manatee, Is Spotted in Chesapeake Bay - washingtonpost.com

How do you spell 'flabbergasted?"

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-10-2009

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
We spotted "Chessy" years ago in Lankford Bay Marina, Rock Hall, MD

We were surprised to have "Chessy" show up in our marina up the Chester River back in the 90's. A manatee makes quite a surprising sight as he surfaces and loudly breathes with his whiskers aquiver. My husband had lived in Florida for a number of years and immediatly knew it was a manatee. We called the Natural Resource Police and I think they thought we had enjoyed too many adult beverages. Fortunately our sighting was backed up with more calls.

He was later cornered in Queenstown harbor and got a lift to the National Aquarium for a little sightseeing. After ensuring he was good to go, he was then given a ticket to fly home to Florida. As I remember, he returned to the Bay the following year and ever traveled further north.

It was nice to have him visit just as long as he was able to avoid the dangers of propellers in that long journey. I want to know, did he travel up the ditch or go outside?

Leslie
SV "Tango"
Kent Island, MD
Old 08-10-2009

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
It would be interesting to place trackers on them. I'm surprised they haven't done that already.
Old 08-10-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Manatees have been fitted with radio transmitters in the past for tracking although I don't know if they happened to be fitted upon any of the long distance trekkers. Some in Florida are temporarily harnessed to an orange float with an antennae. If you ever see a 500lb baking potato in the water, it's probably a manatee! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-10-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
We were just in Cape May NJ and there was a notice that Manatees had been sighted in the mouth of Delaware Bay. While we saw a couple dolphins we missed seeing anything else. The water was a bit rough so I doubt we could have spotted anything anyway.
Mike
Old 08-10-2009

mltroy is on a distinguished road
Here's info on the one in the bay.
A Summer Visitor « www.The Mariner.net

If that link doesn't work cut and paste this one:
A Summer Visitor « www.The Mariner.net
Old 08-11-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
This is a little off-topic, so I hope you don't mind. About 10 years ago, I was on a Florida sailing trip that ended at Amelia Island. Being from the Chesapeake, I had not seen a manatee before (never did catch the rare appearance here). We didn't see many manatees in FL, because our trip was mostly offshore, via the Bahamas. But when we got to Amelia Island, there were a bunch of manatees hanging around the marina.

One of the marina employees, who washed boats regularly, told me that they loved playing in the stream from the water hose. I didn't believe it at first, but he showed me. They would push their faces right into the fresh water spray from the hose over and over, and appeared to be loving it.

I have no idea if this is a common occurrence, but for me, it was really unusual and a whole lot of fun.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic post. Thanks for indulging my one and only manatee story.
-J