Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010

s.runals is on a distinguished road
Been there several times - info above good. If you have not "joined" ActiveCaptain.com you should. Free to sign up but has great info about marinas, anchorages, current NOAA charts and all kinds of other info. Thing I like best about the site is you can add your input based on what you find. Covers places all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2010

gregw5221 is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys...I'm considering only going about half way up East River, it all depends on the time it takes to get there from Salt Ponds in Hampton. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 07-28-2010
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Greg,

If you can spare an addtional 15 minutes, go all the way to marker 15.

You will be more protected from southerly winds there.

Further down the river you can get a small swell in a southerly which makes dinghy operations etc less fun and more wet.

In addtion marker 15 is just opposite Put In creek which is ideal for dinghy ops and you can go all the way to Matthews on a high tide.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-17-2010

I know this is an old thread, but but "Midlife" I just wanted to tell you my girlfriend and i went up two G15 marker and found a great spot right at low tide. Work out great, we even did a little swimming. A couple weeks later we went Severn River and found another spot just as good. Next summer we'll check out the other two rivers in Mobjack Bay.

thanks for the advice!
Old 11-17-2010

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Yep..been there..even was boarded by the USCG..probably 'cause the area is so remote and quiet.
Old 11-17-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregw5221 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but but "Midlife" I just wanted to tell you my girlfriend and i went up two G15 marker and found a great spot right at low tide. Work out great, we even did a little swimming. A couple weeks later we went Severn River and found another spot just as good. Next summer we'll check out the other two rivers in Mobjack Bay.

thanks for the advice!
Thanks, Glad you had a good time. We are enjoying our new sailing area but really do miss it further south.

Next year I'm planning do do our week cruise to the south to hit some of our old favorites like Mobjack and pick up a few I didn't get to while I was down there like Cape Charles and Hampton/Norfolk.
Old 11-18-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Yep..been there..even was boarded by the USCG..probably 'cause the area is so remote and quiet.
Isn't there a CG training facility on the York River (just around the corner)? I have heard of stories of their boarding many boats there for that reason...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2010

Yep the Coast Guard Training center is right next to Yorktown battlefields. Its on the left side of the York River just after refinery before the Coleman Bridge. We use to go sailing up and down that river all the time before sailing out of Hampton, but we never had them board our boat. I guess Mobjack Bay and Severe River is a little more secluded.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.