Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Mobjack local knowledge?

We're taking Friday off and doing a 3.5 day cruise headed south from Deltaville. Plan to anchor out somewhere in Mobjack Bay Friday evening, then the York River Yacht Haven Saturday evening. On the way home we'll probably either return to Mobjack or if we make good time to Fishing Bay before returning home early Monday.

Anyone have any suggestions for anchorages on Mobjack? Maybe one at the southern end for the trip down and the north side for the trip home? It covers a lot of territory and it will be our first visit, so any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2009

Wow, I guess Mobjack won't be too crowded if no one's ever been there! lol

Looks like we're off for a true adventure.
Old 09-03-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Midlife,

I've been in Back River twice, south of Mobjack. Not much to recommend it except that it is the least out of the way creek from the bay. It's not scenic in the least, and there's nothing to do there. I have no other experience with Mobjack except getting the crap beaten out of me and the boat crossing it in November a couple years ago.

No Gwynn Island Hole in the Wall for you on the way back? I guess the depths and tight channel may be too much for your lead mine.

Stop by and say hi tomorrow, or at least wave on your way out of Dville. I was hoping to go out today, but there's a little too much wind for me. I'll try to get out tomorrow with you, but friends are coming down this weekend to haul out over in Jackson creek. I may be too busy giving them a hand to sail.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Old 09-03-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Midlife,

I have been to Mobjack many times, East River is one of my favorite spots.

A really good anchorage on East River is just past Green Marker 15. On the port side (goinf up river) there is plenty of room and very good holding. I've never drug there and have seen 45 kts on occasion. Marker 15 is just opposite Put In Creek.

North, Ware and Severn rivers arer also nice but IMO not quite as pretty as East River.

We will also be in York River Yacht haven on saturday night so we might bump into each other. If you see a Catalina 400 named Querencia with a crazy Swedish / Irish couple - thats us!

Cheers / Jorgen

/Jorgen
Old 09-03-2009

Scott/Jorgen,

Thanks and I'll definitely look for you both.

Scott I know where your boat is, but the times I've seen you aboard I was coming or going. Will try to at least say Hi this weekend.
Old 09-06-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Mobjack Bay

I have been there twice, once in 1979 and once 2 years ago. My recolections form 30 years ago were a nice rural place with little or no people. My thoughts from 2 years ago were from a delivery trip and we were pushing to make Mobjeck before dark. We had sailed from Smith Creek (just west of Point Lookout MD). We sailed the almost 60 miles in about 12 hours making it just before dark. We were in a 22' sailboat and had a healthy quarting sea with about 15-20 knots and 4-5' seas. We were nearly exhausted when we passed New Point Comfort (check the chart for the false point that is easy to mistake for where you can cross if approaching from the north). Once we rounded the point we were blessed with a pleasant area with small boats racing and cruisers looking to anchor. We sailed almost the entire way to our destination on the far end of North River. I found the area fairly deep with 12'-20' almost everywhere.

If I were to choose Mobjack Bay as an anchorage i wouod first look at the wind. If the wind was near SE I would seek sheltered area of the Severn River (SW corner of Mobjack Bay), the reason is, Mobjeck is nearly exposed to the open waters of the Atlantic with a clear shot across the Bay and out through the capes. When the wind is out of almost anywhere else you can pick at your own fancy.

All in all, Mobjack Bay was a beautiful place to sail. I would go again.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
Midlife,

I have been to Mobjack many times, East River is one of my favorite spots.

A really good anchorage on East River is just past Green Marker 15. On the port side (goinf up river) there is plenty of room and very good holding. I've never drug there and have seen 45 kts on occasion. Marker 15 is just opposite Put In Creek.

North, Ware and Severn rivers arer also nice but IMO not quite as pretty as East River.

We will also be in York River Yacht haven on saturday night so we might bump into each other. If you see a Catalina 400 named Querencia with a crazy Swedish / Irish couple - thats us!

Cheers / Jorgen

/Jorgen
Jorgen,

I'm sorry I didn't recognize you guys at YRYH. I saw you there as we were headed out Sunday AM and knew the name of your boat rang a bell but at the time it didn't click.

We did anchor in the East River but had to go on up to around the 17 to fit the boats with our group. Thankfully the group split some opting not to face the quartering seas with SCA on Friday. As it was, we pretty well filled up the river at the 17 mark. You are correct that the East River is a beautiful spot. No doubt we'll be back.
Old 09-08-2009

sailordave is on a distinguished road
I used to work on the East River. BEAUTIFUL place and when I was back there in June of this year it still is. Go up above G13 and you should have no probs w/ finding shelter regardless of the wind direction. But that's just my 25 years of memory. (Damn that makes me old!) Great place to go...
Old 07-26-2010

gregw5221 is on a distinguished road
jorgenl,

Is that area on East River near Green Maker 15 still a good place? I plan on going to Mobjack Bay in August and just looking for a good place to anchor overnight. Any other suggestions would be great, we have a C&C 29.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 07-26-2010

I'm sure it hasn't changed much in a year. If you can find room around the 15, it would be the place to go vs going all the way up to the 17. We were with a group of other boats and needed room for several of us to anchor, so we went way up the river to find a place where we could all fit. If you're traveling solo or with one buddy boat, you shouldn't have any problem finding a place and you might not need to go so far up the river. We saw lots of onesy's and twosy's snugged in along the River so there are lots of choices. If you have time, its worth the trip further up, but the whole river is nice and you could save some time getting back to the bay by selecting a anchorage before the 15 and it seemed like a really long way up to the 17 mark.

Hope you have a great trip.

Bill

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 07-26-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.