SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Knapps Narrows -- how well dredged?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  aa3jy 
#1 ·
Last time I was through Knapps Narrows I hit bottom (in the channel on the bay side) I was sailing a Tartan 37C which draws 4ft 2 in and with Enchantress drawing 6 ft 1 in I haven't even tried. Wondering if anyone with a deep-draft boat has gone through lately and how they've fared. with the board up.
Going around Black Walnut Point adds considerable distance especially:confused: if the wind is uncooperative.
Also wondering how close I can cut Black Walnut Point charts seem to indicate I can get very close

#3 ·
They dredged the channel two years ago and I believe it's still plenty deep. As for rounding Black Walnut Pt I'd pay close attention to the charts as it's very shallow all around the point for at least 1 mile out. We made the trip returning from Oxford in June and the point was loaded with crab pots on the bay side.
Mike

#5 ·
We too where thru Knapps Narrows..even spent the evening at Knapps Narrows Marina a couple of weeks ago. No probs for our 5 +/- ft draft..

By-the-way..anyone been on the Poplar Island project tour that originates from Knapps Narrows? I understand it's a three hour and free tour.

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Kent Narrows, Md.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.