Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Yesterday, Tuesday 9/15 was a stunning afternoon.

I have been busy the last few weeks and have only sailed a few times since the first of August. I was out for a while on Sunday but when the weather report for yesterday (Tuesday, 9/15) was warm, no rain, and some wind I decided to ditch work plans and go sailing.

OK, so the wind was only 5-10 knots North switching to South in the afternoon, but it wasn't too hot either. We (I was able to twist my brother's arm to join me) left the dock at 11 am. And immediately hoisted sails in the anchorage area of West River. We tacked twice and the second time we were able to tack out the narrow channel on a port tack. As we cleared the narrow channel we turned to the East to make the Red #2 on West River and we noticed the wind shifted a bit. We were still on a port tack, just not as close hauled as before. We sailed out of the river and into The Bay, all still on a port tack. As we sailed NE the wind began to die. We waited a few minutes and it started again only more from the East. We sailed on, still on a port tack. As we continued to sail the wind continued to shift and we were now sailing SSW on a port tack. We made over a 180° turn without changing our point of sail... At about 2 pm we decided to tack over to starboard and headed toward Eastern Bay and an hour later we gibed to head home. We broad reached across The Bay and as we entered West River the wind picked up to a steady 8-12 knots and we sailed all the way back to the turn into Galesville. We had a great time, sailed about 24 nautical miles and felt like we were stealing being just one of the few boats out on such a beautiful day, even if the winds were light...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Great sail!

Sounds like the classic sea breeze filled in, and your timing was perfect to catch the shift. Isn't it nice when the wind gods cooperate like that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-16-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Great sail!

Sounds like the classic sea breeze filled in, and your timing was perfect to catch the shift. Isn't it nice when the wind gods cooperate like that?
Yes it is! Our last outing we sailed out of the York River, tacked once and with only occasional tweaks to the sails, sailed all the way up past Wolf Trap, past Stingray Point and into the Rappahannock River making well over 5 knots nearly the whole way as the shifts coinincided with our course changes! It was a bangin' sail.
Old 09-16-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Joe,

Last Saturady my wife and I took our boat from Rock Creek on the Patasco and flew down the bay to the West River in a record time for us of 5+ hours following a braod reach of 20 knots hitting speeds over 8 knots.

We anchored in the area where the South Creek starts, with a few other boats and really enjoyed the eveing. When we were grilling dinner two HUGE swans poked their heads over the toe rail and stared at us for 10 minutes.

We looked for your boat. I must say the entrance to West River was covered with crab pots of all shapes and sizes including Chlorox bottles. Had we had our SPOT device on we would have looked like a squiggly line akin to an "Etch-A_Sketch out of control.

Nice area to keep a boat.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-16-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
minutes.

We looked for your boat. I must say the entrance to West River was covered with crab pots of all shapes and sizes including Chlorox bottles. Had we had our SPOT device on we would have looked like a squiggly line akin to an "Etch-A_Sketch out of control.
Dave, we don't make much effort to steer around them when sailing. Just make sure the prop is not spinning freely.

But we have a skeg hung rudder. You?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-16-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Trust me, skeg or not, it can and will happen....

We haven't picked up a pot, yet, but I have on my brothers SW42 and so has he.

Kind of like running aground, those who have and those who will......

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 09-16-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Yep, we have picked up a pot line before...GRRRRR.Boat slowed to 2 knots.....caught on the prop and then the rudder.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-16-2009
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
There wasn't much wind here in Resurrection Bay but the 15th certainly was a keeper** day.

More photos here.

** Keeps you around through another winter.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

Old 09-20-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Crab pots are there, and on some days they are harder to see. The ones I hate are the little black ones... stealthy floats. But in time you learn how to miss them and how far away you can get. I get crabs from one of the crabbers whose pots are strewn over that are and they are tasty.