SailNet gathering, Friday night of Annapolis Boat Show - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've got photos of everybody... and will be posting them soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Sorry we missed every one Friday evening but couldn't leave DC until 7 PM.
We drove down to the show Saturday as the winds were pretty brisk early in the day.

Managed to get a great deal on a Gerhaur Radar Pole with an antennae loop and with removable engine lift for $840 and they pay half the freight. We have purchased davits from them before and are very happy with their quality.

We also bought new Gill foul weather gear for a great price and I got a pair of Harken shoes.

Decided on the Harken IV #1 furler and will buy from Defender this week. anyone have one of these? Comments? BTW Defender has great sales on a lot of gear on line till next Sunday

Saturday evening we motored from Rock Creek to Bodkin and anchored in Jubb cove to a cacophony of duck quacks.

Today was a great sailing day in the Patapsco off of Rock Creek. Every day now is a bonus day.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-11-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
I didn't buy anything at the show except admission and Painkillers (they named them after me). However, I drank more than my admission's worth of free Hendrick's gin aboard the Catherine Marie, so I still came out ahead. *hiccup*
Old 10-11-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Decided on the Harken IV #1 furler and will buy from Defender this week. anyone have one of these? Comments? BTW Defender has great sales on a lot of gear on line till next Sunday
A Unit 1? Sure you don't need a Unit 2? If you didn't get my PM, check with Ken tomorrow before you buy, I bet he can bet it plus no shipping. I think the install was about $300.00

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-11-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Sorry we missed the gathering. We ended up going to a Manta get together (yes, we have a Passport, but we have friends with Mantas), and then s'mores with friends we met in the Bahamas. It's been a great boatshow thus far! Chef - if the furler still comes with the black control line, replace the line immediately. Don't even bother trying it. It's horrible. Great furler, terrible line. You can go up one size too.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-12-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Sorry we missed every one Friday evening but couldn't leave DC until 7 PM.
We drove down to the show Saturday as the winds were pretty brisk early in the day.

Managed to get a great deal on a Gerhaur Radar Pole with an antennae loop and with removable engine lift for $840 and they pay half the freight. We have purchased davits from them before and are very happy with their quality.

We also bought new Gill foul weather gear for a great price and I got a pair of Harken shoes.

Saturday evening we motored from Rock Creek to Bodkin and anchored in Jubb cove to a cacophony of duck quacks.

Today was a great sailing day in the Patapsco off of Rock Creek. Every day now is a bonus day.

Dave
Mainesail has a MKIV Unit 1 on his CS36 and is very happy with it. I was convinced that I was going with a Unit 1, but seeing them side by side really lead me to believe the Unit 1 might be undersized for a 36 foot boat. Given the huge price increase from the Unit 1 to Unit 2, I'm rethinking how I want to proceed. I'm also giving the Furlex a second look. The Furlex includes everything you need including a new forestay and the furling line blocks both of which you have to add to the cost of the Harken units.

T37, if you have any ideas I'd like to hear them also.
Old 10-12-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
All I can say is with a 150% Genny I cant imagine anything smaller than the Unit 2 for my boat.

And as Labtt said, the line really blows. In fact, I sent off a long email to Harken about the crappy line and got a very good response, but I don't think they have changed the OEM line?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-12-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have a unit 1 - works great for the 140 on my caliber 33. yeah, the line could be better. at the price they charge there is no reason not to put a better line on and charge the extra $50 (or whatever) it would take to upgrade it.
Old 10-12-2009

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Hijackers!!!

Sailingdog...where are those PICTURES!?!?!?
Old 10-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm....be very careful what you wish for... I'm firing Photoshop up right now...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.