SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is anyone going out this weekend Oct 3 and 4

4K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 ·
We are not sure where we will be headed.
If North... Wharton or Fairlee (we never go there in the season as to many yahoos)
If South Whitehall or Rhodes.

We are open to other suggestions
Anyone else headed out who would want a rendezvous on Sat evening?

Dave

#2 ·
Dave,

The Rock Hall Sailing Club will be cruising this weekend but the destination won't be determined until the captains meeting at 0900 Saturday. It will be a "where the wind blows" destination. Should you see Rhythm on the water please say hello...I'd be glad to meet you.

Regards...Mike

#4 ·
I'll be out - going to Annapolis with a bunch of guys from work aboard - our annual sail. We leave Friday night and head somewhere, possibly Swan Creek due to the wind forecast out of the South. Then on to Annapolis on Saturday. At least that's the plan for now! If you see Mandolin out, say Hey! I'll return the greeting!

Tod

#6 ·
We're hoping to spend the week on the Choptank, but with the predicted unfavorable wind on Saturday, may wait till Sunday to head out. We'll have guests aboard from the USVI. Really depends on the wind and how game they are; might try for Galesville or Rhode River on Fri. If we do we'll look for you josrulz.

#14 ·
We're hoping to spend the week on the Choptank, but with the predicted unfavorable wind on Saturday, may wait till Sunday to head out. We'll have guests aboard from the USVI. Really depends on the wind and how game they are; might try for Galesville or Rhode River on Fri. If we do we'll look for you josrulz.
Hey eryka, we didn't make it out Friday--my brother was to be my crew and he ended up being sick. Did you make it out on Friday? Hope the sailing is good!

#11 ·
We ended up behind Cacaway Island on Langford Creek Saturday night, what a beautiful anchorage :)

Sunday...WOW, we got our butts kicks coming out of the Chester!!! The ebb tide combined with the West winds hitting the mouth of the river made for some steep-close chop. We buried the bow a few times and my stupid ass forgot to lash down the anchor so there it went a flying, no major damage but a few dings and a bruised ego :(

#12 ·
... We buried the bow a few times and my stupid ass forgot to lash down the anchor so there it went a flying, no major damage but a few dings and a bruised ego :(
Hehehehe.:)

I can laugh, because I'm laughing at myself. :D Oh, the stories my kids could tell you...

"Dad, what was that big loud thump on the underside of the boat -- it sounded like we hit a rock?"

"Don't worry kids, we're just getting the anchor good and clean by dragging it along under the boat." :eek: :eek:

#13 ·
Yea, it went something like this:

Wife:
" Honey, whats that noise, it sounds horrible?"
Me:
"Oh nothing Dear, I'll be right back, just have to run up to the bow"
Wife:
"Everything alright?"
Me:
"Oh it was nothing, just the anchor swinging around wildly"
Wife:
"Didn't I remind you to lash it down before we left?"
Me:
"UM?"

LOL :)

#15 ·
Helped deliver boats for the show this weekend and Sunday was awesome. We made the run from Chesapeake City to Annapolis in 7 hrs. Had 15-20kt winds out of the west all day long. We were in a Beneteau 40 and ran 8+kts the whole way down. Smacking waves, spray flying, buried the bow a couple of times, had to put a deep reef in the genny to keep her on her feet. Just a great day of sailing but worked my butt off (the wife was with me but didn't help much) now I need a couple of days to recover :)
Mike

#16 ·
I can echo the BFS-ness of Sunday's sail...WaHoo! Winds from the west and I was sailing east so pretty much getting pushed by gusts and waves. Not the biggest BFS of my sailing experience but a kick-butt day by the time we reached the slip. Recorded my best ever GPS overground speed surfing down a wave and hit 9 knots. Not bad for an old boat.

Hope those that were out enjoyed the ride...MGM

#17 ·
Terrific weekend for sailing but it helped to be going the right way.

We had guests aboard this weekend and the captain felt it was smart to make the best of natures gifts. Did not know if it would be rain on Saturday but we were given a few sprinkles that broke into a lovely sunny afternoon. We left Kent Narrows with zero wind but as the wind picked up we had a nice sail over from the Chester River to Broad Creek on the Magothy. We had a lovely evening but watched lots of lightening off to the East. Don't know what is was like for those on the Eastern Shore but it looked from our location that the light show was pretty intense. It was lighting up some big clouds that traveled from east of us to the north.

Sunday morning was very calm in our anchorage and as we motored out Broad Creek we hoped to have some breeze. Well, breeze we got....It was a terrific sail down the Magothy, across the Bay over to the Chester. Like those bouncing coming out of the Chester, we were also dealing with the confused, close set seas as well coming to our port quarter. It did get a bit easier once behind Love Point. It looked like most boats reefed or had either main or gennie up. We got back around 1:30 for our guests to travel out and it appeared the wind continued to build through the day. Hope all enjoyed the full moon. We were so happy the clouds cleared enough for us to enjoy the moonlit evening. Just makes you sad that there are not that many weekends left before it is time to bag up those sails for the season. :D

Leslie
SV "Tango", CR 34
Kent Narrows, MD

#18 ·
Chef...Cackaway is our favorite spot of all. We were there a few weeks ago.

Saturday we decided to meander slowly up to Wharton Creek. We had beautiful full moon lit skys that evening. The geese came down like bomber squadrons at sunset and in the AM when they woke up it was quiet a racket.

We decided to anchor on the outside of the creek and it was quiet Sunday with a light 10 knot breeze while we had our lox and bagels and kona coffee. In the space of 15 minutes the breeze shot up to 20 steady with gusts of 35. The new Rocna held like a champ but was hellish trying to get up. We flew down the bay with a double reefed main and a furled jib going 8+ knots.

When we got to Hart Miller and the both of the Patapsco we tried to tack are way to Rock Creek to no avail.after 4 tacks we got nowhere up river so we turned on the iron sail and motored in ( Thank god for the new dodger)

Great day to test yourself with larger winds.

Dave

#19 ·
Yes, what a great weekend for sailing on the Bay! With the good forecast for Friday, we took the day off and left Back Creek about 11 AM. We were anchored in Philip Creek up the East Fork of Langford Creek by 3:30 PM and that was with having to tack down the first bit of the Chester R. Winds on Friday were as strong or stronger than those already described for Sunday, only out of the south instead of northwest. The highlight of the Philip Creek anchorage was several sightings of one or other of a Bald Eagle pair and being seen off Saturday morning by the pair roosting together in a tree nearby. The sail out the Chester R. in a gentle breeze was much appreciated after the workout of the previous day. We finally had to switch on the motor to make it up to Swan Cr. from the mouth of the Chester as the wind died out completely. For us, Sunday was a starboard tack dash at 7 +/- knots from can #3 off of Swan Point Bar to the mouth of the Severn. We then had to tack our way from there into the Severn River blast to Back Cr. The full moon was a special treat both Friday and Saturday night. Yes, it was a great fall sailing weekend on the Bay!
John

#20 ·
Sailed from Onancock on Friday to Windmill Point on the north side of the Rappahanock River Mouth. Winds 15 to 25 knots from the South. Did not have to tack once. Anchored in the Cove without a single neighbor and were protected from wind and wave. Left the next morning and had a pleasant trip back to Onancock. Again on one tack and slightly less wind. Took my buddy who had not sailed before. He loved it except towards mid to late afternoon on Friday, it was getting scary for him. He had not seen 6 foot waves and 30 mph gust on a 22 ft Bristol before. Didn't bother reefing as I knew the boat could take it and to add to his "experience". Poor guy could not hold it and had to go #2 during the worst of the waves and wind. I secretly had a chuckly then. Had a great time, saw some dolphins and dodged quite a few tugs. Was his first Bay crossing and of course is now hunting for his own boat. :)

#21 ·
We had a great sail Friday night from Rock Creek to Swan Creek. Wind started off being from the SE but clocked around to the S as we approached Bodkin Point. We just flew across the Bay. There were some periods of light rain showers but then the moon would appear. Very etherial! There were a few boats anchored in Swan Creek and we had a very nice night at anchor. On Saturday, we wanted to leave early to get to Annapolis in time to get a slip at City Dock. Morning came much too early and we didn't get the anchor up until much later than planned. Oh well... We ended up motoring all the way because the wind was more out of the SW and right on the nose. We didn't get a slip at City Dock but found one at Annapolis Yacht Basin with all of the mega yachts. Makes my boat look like a dinghy! There was a huge mega yacht docked at the fuel dock called Hooter Patrol IV. It turned out that it is owned by the Corporation that owns Hooters.

It turned out to be a spectacular day, weather wise. We had a great time in Annapolis, ate at McGarveys and generally caught the town's enthusiasm after Navy beat Air Force in overtime. We listened to music and stumbled back to the boat around 2:30am.

We then had a great sail up the Bay to Bodkin Point under main and staysail. We were making 6.5 knots without much heel and it was great! When we reached the Patapsco, the wind became very shifty. We sailed almost up to Hart-Miller Island to try to get an angle to tack up the river to Rock Creek but we kept getting headed so we motor sailed to Rock Point and then sailed in to Rock Creek.

Hey Chef - is your boat named Puts and Calls?

Tod

#22 · (Edited)
Hey Gladrags,

Nope, "Puts and Calls" is my slip neighbor...a Tartan 3500. They came in about 30 minutes after we did. They apparently were having some engine trouble, probably due to a low fuel in the tank. They were hosting a Chesapeake Tartan event on Grays Inn Creek.

We're sailing "Windgeist" a older (1982) Tartan 37C, I think we were coming into the creek about 4:00 PM? You?

We should have gone South on Saturday, not West. We were contemplating the Magothy or the Severn...probably would have been a better call :)

#23 ·
We're sailing a 1987 Bayfield 36 named Mandolin. We keep her at a private slip on Rock Creek, past Oak Harbor. We came in to the Creek around 5pm and had to take on fuel and pumpout which we normally do at Md YC. Puts and Calls was at the dock as was a smaller sailboat that was filling some gas cans. The dockhand told us as we circled for at least a 1/2 hour that Puts and Calls had engine problems but there was no reason why that smaller sailboat was hanging around so long - it was rude, really. Puts and Calls got their engine going as we fueled and made her way back to port.

I agree that she probably suffered from low fuel and the sloshing around in choppy seas. For that reason, I always keep my tank full or nearly full. I have had my fill of fuel problems!

I believe I have seen Windgeist on the waters before.

I believe that the sail over from the Chester must have been a misserable and bumpy one. Straight into the teeth of the wind! Glad we came up from the south as we only had to go into the teeth of the wind in the Patapsco! All in all, a very nice weekend.

How do you like your Tartan?

Tod

#24 ·
Tod,

We saw you on Sunday at the MDYC. Thats where we keep our boat. We have also seen you quite a few times around Rock Creek. 35 C&C MKIII name Haleakula

We ran into the same header trying to tack up the river on sunday once we got past Hart Miller (we were on our way back from a night at Warton).

Dave

#26 ·
Must have been a great beam reach down from Worton! That is until you reached the Patapsco.

We frequently take on fuel and pump out at MdYC. It's most convenient and the past few years the pumpout has been very reliable. It seems that either the diesel fuel hose or pumpout hose doesn't reach the western (gas) side of the fuel dock compressing boats to the east end. Seems inefficient. However, the prices and service is good there.

Keep on enjoying this breezy fall weather!

Tod

#28 ·
The angle of attack from WORTON to the Patapsco was a close haul after Pooles Island, although we got pushed out into the bay.

The pump out is on both ends, but they both cannot run at the same time as they are using on system. The deisel is 20% discounted to members. If you are ever there or want to hang out for dinner at the club let me know. We are on D Pier slip 13.

The winds today are bonkers

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.