SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   October 25- Bonus Day of Sailing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/59234-october-25-bonus-day-sailing.html)

chef2sail 10-25-2009 05:36 PM

October 25- Bonus Day of Sailing

Today my wife and I got pne of those days we consdier are bonus days of sailing after October 1st. We dont usually winterize until Thanksgiving, but rarely do we get a day like today. Started out at 48 degress...20 knot winds and sunny...was a beautiful fall day on the chesapeake with fall leaves in the water. tens of geese arrows flying south, over a hundred sailboats visable sailing ( did I mention hardly any powerboats as they are put away for the year). Great day all in all.

T37Chef 10-25-2009 07:41 PM

Nice! I haven't been out for three weeks!!! Argggg...and now the mother in law is visiting from Austria for two weeks ;) I am leaving the boat sail ready this winter just in case we get some more bonus days...keeping my fingers crossed.

Congrats...I be jealous

NautiG 10-25-2009 08:28 PM

Bonus day? How 'bout bonus week! My pier at the marina was about half empty this past week. I passed my next door slip mate in the middle of the bay late in the week. Found out when we both got back on Friday that he had gone to Onnancock. I went to Tangier island.

I posted about the trip on my blog Captain's Blog, including pics of a Rockfish I caught and cooked up at home. But maybe you Chefs could give me some tips on Rockfish cuisine for next year's trophy season. The best rockfish I ever had was a whole fish deep fried in a tempura batter. I'd really like to try this at home, but don't think I have the set up for it. The best I can pull off is battered and deep fried jalepeno poppers for Sunday football.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

T37Chef 10-25-2009 08:34 PM

Try baking the fish in Salt Crust.

Egg Whites mixed with Kosher Salt (coarse) till its like wet sand
Stuff cavity with aromatics, lemon, ginger, chili, thyme, etc.

Put a layer of the salt mix on a oven proof dish, lay fish on top, then completely seal the top with a thick layer of the salt mix

Bake at 350 till done, depends on size of fish, but its hard to overcook it.

Yummy

NautiG 10-25-2009 08:42 PM

Aye, aye Chef. That does sound yummy.

I hope to have a post up on the blog soon about my first experience flying my spinnaker. It's a symmetrical spinnaker and was so much fun. I don't know why I was so afraid of flying it. It was soooo easy in light air.

I'll also post about the spinnaker either here or on AS.

T37Chef 10-25-2009 08:47 PM

Nice, thats on my wish list, behind many other things :(

chef2sail 10-25-2009 09:38 PM

We headed up the creek when we came back from our sail hoping to catch you out today. Your boat looked great. Have you met John and Key (tartan 37 also) who came to Oak Harbor from MYC?

T37Chef 10-25-2009 10:00 PM

Yes, but we rarely see him, never meet her. We pretty much go to the boat and leave, not much marina chatting unless its just me.

Gladrags1 10-26-2009 05:54 AM

We were out too. Yes, it was a great day, a great sail. Clear sky and a good wind. You don't get many of those! We had guests aboard Mandolin who were out for their first sail. It was a perfect day to show them how much fun it was and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. We had enough time to drop the hook off Oak Harbor for a late lunch which included some glasses of wine. Then up anchor and back to port.

We have one more scheduled cruise before we winterize Mandolin. My buddies and I are doing our annual Fugawi Cruise of just the guys on the third weekend in November. While we usually go in November, this will be the latest we've ever gone so lets hope for a good weather window!

CalebD 10-26-2009 11:34 AM

We also got out on the Hudson for a day sail on the 25th. It was really superb.