Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake Bay area canvass reccomendations

I will replace a dodger and cockpit enclosure this winter. I have the folks at Canvass Connection working up an estimate. Have any Chesapeake sailors had experience with Canvass Connection? I am interested in first-hand experience as well as recommendations of other canvass houses in the event I decide to go elsewhere.

The boat is on the hardstand at Herrington Harbor North marina.

Wayne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Honestly, I've never heard anyone praise CC, very slow service & marginal quality. I did have them quote me new salon cushions, and their price was almost 2x my other quotes. I asked them repetitively for pricing on dodger & bimini and they never "got around to it".

I will personally vouch for North Sails Annapolis Canvass Services. I had them redesign my dodger & bimini last year, and they did a great, on time job (if I recall 3 weeks). Ended up going with them for a new sail & pedestal cover as well as a full winter cover.

We'll be going on the hard at HHN first week of December

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 11-05-2009

billsull is on a distinguished road
Well T37, you're about to hear someone praise Canvas Creations. I have a WaveStopper hard dodger that CC installed for the prior owner. I sent the curtains to them to replace zippers and isinglass and they came back within two weeks (it was last Feb) and the repaired curtains fit perfectly. Dan at CC provided excellent service and answered all my questions. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.

Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-05-2009

billsull is on a distinguished road
I couldn't post a picture right if my life depended on it!

Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

Old 11-06-2009

bjung is on a distinguished road
I have had Canvas Connection repair dodger stitching that came apart, and the job turned out well, but the pricing was definetly on the high side.
They also replaced the UV cover on my genny. I was happy with the result, and it came in below quote (imagine that!?), and within the timeframe promised. All in all, I cannot complain, I will however get a quote from North Sails Annapolis Canvas Service (thanks for the tip, T37!) when it is time to replace bimini/ dodger, for comparison.
Bernd
PSC 31
Old 11-12-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your help

CC estimate was high... very high: ~75% above the competition. I will order OEM replacements from the manufacturer instead.

Wayne
Old 11-28-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
I don’t know the quality of work but I did talk to some folk over on the West River the other day who do Canvas work a mom and pop outfit at the Galesville yacht club. I got a 26 dollar a foot quote for making me a main sail cover. Dan
Old 11-29-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Dan,

Wow $26 a foot. Thats not cheap at all. Ive seen many at less than $150. Thats of course if your boom is only 6 ft.

Our 16 foot mainsail cover self made cost. $16 X5 ft of sunbrella (width"), 30 " zipper at $12.45, and 12 dot fasteners at $10 or approx $105.

Take the money you would save in making it yourself and get a handheld GPS....hahahah

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner