Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Tolchester Experience?

Can anyone offer some Tolchester experience?

My cruising guide is "sketchy" on description and makes a vague reference to a shortage of transient slips. Also are the approach and alongside depths enough for 6-ft draft? I've not been able to raise the marina on VHF 16 or 09 the couple of times that I've tried while passing.

I know about the nearby alternatives in the area and have visited most of them over the years. The point would be to see Tolchester.

L 40'1", B 12'4" D 6'1"

Wayne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We stayed at Tolchester Marina a couple of years ago... draw 6' and had enough under us. If I recall, I had to call them on the phone. We came through at the beginning of May, so there was transient availability. Also, pretty much all of the facilities were closed down when we came through, so it was just a spot to tie up.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 11-16-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Can't speak to availability of transient slips but getting in and out is pretty straight forward with plenty of water. The entrance is jettied and the approach is straight in.
Old 11-18-2009

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Wintered on the hard there a few years ago.

We stayed there over a winter haul out a few years ago. We had a couple of requests....please put us near electricity, light and water. They did. Also please put boards under the jack stands. Again, they did.

Our problems stemmed from the fact that we were removing our hatches to send out for work. We had been told the shrink wrap cover would go on so we removed the hatches and cleaned the deck. But the cover did not come for about a month. They did have problems getting our boat shrink wrapped. We were concerned about the temporary plastic keeping water out.....it was a month late and since they never called to advise of the date it would finally happen, we were also unable to get the leaves again off the boat so we had the staining issues of vegetation sitting in areas you can not get to once covered. Also the shrink wrapper did not put a door in the cover???? though we requested it and paid for it. They told us it would be put in a couple of times and we drove down from PA to find a totally sealed cover....poor communication to the max.

The door was finally put in a place that made it the most difficult to get into the vessel over the coaming but hey, we could finally shimmy aboard to do some chores we had planned to do over the winter.

Though I was getting pretty frustrated with the goings on with the cover guy (an outside contractor the yard used) and the door thing, the part that really concerned me was that while we were up there doing work on our boat we saw a man and a little girl go up to a boat that did not appear to be theirs. As we watched, they looked around for a means to get up on this vessel. He dragged a scrap ladder, scratching the hull as he tried to climb on the ladder that slid on the fiberglass. Once aboard the man then looked for ways to get into the vessel. We knew he was not the owner and asked if he knew the owner...just being concerned that it was strange to see someone basically breaking into a vessel. He was finally able to get a hatch open and he crawled into the boat.

When I mentioned this to the ladies inside the marina office they said that it was fine for him to go in the vessel. I just hoped he was not given the choice to go into any boat in the yard. I hoped he did not decide to look inside my boat when I left.

We came away happy with the way they hauled and blocked our boat. They gave us a terrific location for our boat to be. We were not delighted with the shrink wrap experience. The security issue is a real head scratcher.

I guess it depends on what you need. It is easy to get into. Just look both ways as you depart since the channel passes closely at the entrance into the marina. You really get to see ships up close and personal there.

kb3pwc