Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009

jaalex is on a distinguished road
Can you point out a couple of good marina's to check out in Urbanna. I just got back from the first rounds of interviews and I do have to say that Charlottesville seems like a very nice area.

Jason
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2009
"Nevis Nice"

hphoen is on a distinguished road
Urbanna's a long way from the Bay. My preference would be to drive thirty miles further at 55 mph vs. sailing (or motoring) at 5 kts.
Old 11-25-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Hud,

You've been away too long baking in the sun. The distance from Urbanna to Dville is only 15 miles. But your point is still the same. Urbanna is fine if you want to do river sailing, but it's going to add about three hours of sailing/motoring to a trip on the bay.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Old 11-25-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
Hud,

You've been away too long baking in the sun. The distance from Urbanna to Dville is only 15 miles. But your point is still the same. Urbanna is fine if you want to do river sailing, but it's going to add about three hours of sailing/motoring to a trip on the bay.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
This is true. Our slip neighbors used to be at Urbanna and still have friends there they sail with regularly.

IMHO, they spend and inordinate amount of time either in the Corrotoman River or Carter Creek since they are between their respective marinas. Granted those are two nice places to visit, but I prefer having them for when its too rough out on the bay not because it would take me too long to get to the bay and then get anywhere else.
Old 12-15-2009

AWEllis3 is on a distinguished road
Been there - done that - left

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaalex View Post
Can you point out a couple of good marina's to check out in Urbanna. I just got back from the first rounds of interviews and I do have to say that Charlottesville seems like a very nice area.

Jason
Come see the marina next to the bridge. (One hour from Richmond, if you haul a$$) The owner lives in Fredericksburg but his number is posted. Only $100 a month. There are many others scattered around on Urbanna, Robinson and LaGrange creeks.
It is a 3-4 hour sail to the bay, but since the Rapp is miles wide and I do mostly day sailing, it suits me just fine. When I go to, say, Cape Charles or Tangier, I stop off in Deltaville for a night, then leave in the a.m. (Since this is only once or twice a year.)
I used to be in Broad Creek (Deltaville) but found a dearth of small sail boats. No sailing "community." Lotsa fishermen, dock sitters and yacht polishers. Most of the "real" sailors were around on the Piankatank side in Fishing Bay (nice yacht club), but slip prices were as high as a giraff's butt.

"Life is a cruel teacher; she gives the test first, the lesson then follows"
Old 12-17-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWEllis3 View Post
Come see the marina next to the bridge. (One hour from Richmond, if you haul a$$) The owner lives in Fredericksburg but his number is posted. Only $100 a month. There are many others scattered around on Urbanna, Robinson and LaGrange creeks.
It is a 3-4 hour sail to the bay, but since the Rapp is miles wide and I do mostly day sailing, it suits me just fine. When I go to, say, Cape Charles or Tangier, I stop off in Deltaville for a night, then leave in the a.m. (Since this is only once or twice a year.)
I used to be in Broad Creek (Deltaville) but found a dearth of small sail boats. No sailing "community." Lotsa fishermen, dock sitters and yacht polishers. Most of the "real" sailors were around on the Piankatank side in Fishing Bay (nice yacht club), but slip prices were as high as a giraff's butt.
I think this post is way off the mark at least as far as Stingray Point is concerned. There are quite a few fishing boats at the mouth of the Rappahannock, but I find I have very little issue with them. SHYC has lots of planned overnight and multi day cruises and when they don't its not hard to find a buddy boat or two for an impromptu if you want company. As far as docksitters and yacht polishers, I've never been one to worry about how someone else enjoys their boat. I guess if your definition of "real sailor" is daysailing well up a river or racing in semi-protected waters, then the comment has merit.

FWIW, I crew on a boat on the Fishing Bay side and cruise my boat with folks on the Broad Creek side. I personally would not want to be 2-3 hours sailing from the bay. Urbanna is a nice destination from D'ville, especially when the Bay is whipped up.
Old 12-17-2009

AWEllis3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
SHYC has lots of planned overnight and multi day cruises and when they don't its not hard to find a buddy boat or two for an impromptu if you want company.
I'm a retired high school teacher. I own my small boat because I am able to do all the maintenance myself. I can't afford a yacht club. Don't forget, there are us po' folks out on the water, too.

"Life is a cruel teacher; she gives the test first, the lesson then follows"
Old 01-24-2010

jaalex is on a distinguished road
Got the Job, Moving Soon but without the boat.

Well I got the job but decided that it was going to be to much work to move myself, my fiance, our two dogs, a full house an a 32 foot Catalina. In in a most lucky bit of fate I had one of the guys on my dock shoot me an e-mail asking if instead of moving my boat I would be interested in selling it. So after some thinking I let the boat go.

So now I'll be looking for a new marina and a new boat. Maybe I'll even get to meet a few of you very helpful gentleman when things warm up a bit.

Jason
Old 01-25-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the new job! I was just in Charlottesville this past weekend visiting family and freinds. A very nice place. It took me 2.5 hours each way. I live in Annapolis.

You will find a huge selection of boats for sale on the Bay. Good luck searching.
________
RavenSundance

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2010

RobGranger is on a distinguished road
C-ville is 2 hours from Smith Mountain Lake. That is where I do most of my sailing ... not as easy sailing as bay sailing but the community is nice and we get some really nice wind in the spring and fall. 500 miles of shoreline make for a lot of nice holes to pull into (with mountains on all sides).. drop the hook for the night... set out the catfish lines and go below for a sandwich and beer. I live one hour south of C-ville and when I get a hankering for bigger water I go to NC outer banks.