SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Charlottesville Virginia

6K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  RobGranger 
#1 ·
All,

I'm once again considering a job in Virginia again. This time it's a bit farther from water then I would like. But I don't want to give up my Catalina 320. The job I'm looking at is in Charlottesville. Does anyone live up what way and keep at sailboat. When I asked earlier in the year when I was considering a position in Richmond a lot of people said that Deltaville was a good place to keep a boat. Any thoughts.

Thanks,
Jason

#4 ·
Jaalex, if you are fine with the drive then the Chesapeake will knock your socks off compared to Iowa sailing.

Folks have been posting about "bonus days" of sailing in October. I consider this a little silly. October is prime sailing season on the Chesapeake IMHO. No insects, doldrums or thunderstorms. Nice temps, steady winds, and tons of rockfish.

I consider someone else's claim that the Chesapeake has year round sailing season to be equally ridiculous. Jan and Feb are tough months to go sailing. But we do usually get a couple warm spells when you can take the boat out for a day sail in winter.

Good luck in the job search!

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

#5 ·
I'm not sure I'm ok with the drive. But if it means giving up the boat or making the drive, well here come some more miles on the car. As for sailing in October about the only sailing we do in october is sail the boat to the lift. We've been out of the water for over a month now already.

#6 ·
If its any help, I choose to drive to Deltaville from Northern VA which is usually about a 3.5 hour drive. I could have the boat a lot closer to me, but it would be more expensive and I prefer the less crowded sailing area with dozens and dozens of anchorages for about any length sailing trip you are up for.

So long as your schedule lets you spend a couple of days on the boat each visit I think you'll like D'ville. We go down after work on Friday and come home Sunday most weekends between April and Oct.

#7 ·
At the risk of offending NautiG..its important to understand the context of my " Bonus days in October" thread posted October 25. Usually the weather when you get near the end of October can we very iffy when you work and only have weekends to sail. While there are many nice October and November days to enjoy the Chesapeake, the weather fronts are more active than in the summer, so the chances of hitting weeknds with nice sailing weather is a little less likely

I cannot wait until A) I am independently wealthy to not work, or B) I retire in 4 years so that I might enjoy the beautiful days of Sept, October and November on the Chesapeake.

Dave

#9 ·
Well, I must add that today was one of the best sailing days on the bay this year. Short, but sweet, with 15-20kts and a bright warm sun.

Unfortunately, next weekend will be our last chance, as we're hauling on the 3rd...

#15 ·
Been there - done that - left

Come see the marina next to the bridge. (One hour from Richmond, if you haul a$$) The owner lives in Fredericksburg but his number is posted. Only $100 a month. There are many others scattered around on Urbanna, Robinson and LaGrange creeks.
It is a 3-4 hour sail to the bay, but since the Rapp is miles wide and I do mostly day sailing, it suits me just fine. When I go to, say, Cape Charles or Tangier, I stop off in Deltaville for a night, then leave in the a.m. (Since this is only once or twice a year.)
I used to be in Broad Creek (Deltaville) but found a dearth of small sail boats. No sailing "community." Lotsa fishermen, dock sitters and yacht polishers. Most of the "real" sailors were around on the Piankatank side in Fishing Bay (nice yacht club), but slip prices were as high as a giraff's butt.

#13 ·
Hud,

You've been away too long baking in the sun. The distance from Urbanna to Dville is only 15 miles. But your point is still the same. Urbanna is fine if you want to do river sailing, but it's going to add about three hours of sailing/motoring to a trip on the bay.

Scott

#14 ·
Hud,

You've been away too long baking in the sun. The distance from Urbanna to Dville is only 15 miles. But your point is still the same. Urbanna is fine if you want to do river sailing, but it's going to add about three hours of sailing/motoring to a trip on the bay.

Scott
This is true. Our slip neighbors used to be at Urbanna and still have friends there they sail with regularly.

IMHO, they spend and inordinate amount of time either in the Corrotoman River or Carter Creek since they are between their respective marinas. Granted those are two nice places to visit, but I prefer having them for when its too rough out on the bay not because it would take me too long to get to the bay and then get anywhere else.

#18 ·
Got the Job, Moving Soon but without the boat.

Well I got the job but decided that it was going to be to much work to move myself, my fiance, our two dogs, a full house an a 32 foot Catalina. In in a most lucky bit of fate I had one of the guys on my dock shoot me an e-mail asking if instead of moving my boat I would be interested in selling it. So after some thinking I let the boat go.

So now I'll be looking for a new marina and a new boat. Maybe I'll even get to meet a few of you very helpful gentleman when things warm up a bit.

Jason

#20 ·
C-ville is 2 hours from Smith Mountain Lake. That is where I do most of my sailing ... not as easy sailing as bay sailing but the community is nice and we get some really nice wind in the spring and fall. 500 miles of shoreline make for a lot of nice holes to pull into (with mountains on all sides).. drop the hook for the night... set out the catfish lines and go below for a sandwich and beer. I live one hour south of C-ville and when I get a hankering for bigger water I go to NC outer banks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.