Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Howling wind, low temperatures

I am sitting up here in Southeast Penssylvania and it is cold.....really cold. The wind was to be up to 50mph here today and it got me thinking what is going on at the Chesapeake Bay.

Can any of you that are lucky enough to be local give us some of the conditions? Are bubblers keeping up for the boats in slips? Is there ice? Has the wind been as hard?

My boat is currently in a heated building but I would think it is pretty inclement out there. Feel sorry for the crews on barges, fishing vessels or anyone who has to be out in this harsh winter weather.

Leslie
sv "Tango"
CR 34
Kent Narrows, MD currently in Oxford Boatyard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We are over in Rock Creek (Patapsco) and stayed in the water this year. There really has been no ice so far and except for the 24 inches of snow a few weeks ago...no problems. Winds are holwing pretty good down here, but every thing is shipshape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-04-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Got a note from a friend in Annapolis that the N wind had blown the water out of the Bay, water levels were a couple of feet below normal, some boats that were in their slips touching bottom and masts were at 45 (?) degree angles, bubblers were hanging under the docks but above water ... all in all, a discouraging report.

We're expecting the remains of that wind here (Staniel Cay, Exumas) later today and tomorrow. Winds to 25 kts. The locals are complaining of the cold -- high temps in the upper 60s during the day. I think this is what the slogan refers to when they say, "Its better in the Bahamas."

Stay warm; we'll see you all in the spring!
Old 01-04-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
It has been cold but not excessively so. There was some ice on the creek after the pre-Christmas snowstorm, but it has mostly melted away. I had a nice sail on New Years Day, relatively warm. I did not see any sheet ice on the Bay or heading out.

I had rigged the bubbler on a thremostat after the Christmas cold snap and it has kept a large ice free area during this latest cold snap. This morning Mill Creek and Martin's Cove are still mostly clear of ice although I noticed on the way to the office this morning that some of the smaller, shallower creeks have ice in them. The tides were low yesterday and have still not recovered entirely, but they are not as bad as some of the worst winter low tides that we have experienced over the years.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-04-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Hey Leslie, where yall at in PA? I'm in Bristol, While my boat is of course on the hard at the YC we play pool at the club house and look forlornly down at our boats sitting there.

My boat is for sale.
Old 01-04-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
It's even cold here in N.E. Fl. It's down in the 20's at night with the wind. This happens a couple of times a year, but for only a day. This is a weeklong ordeal, and I am GREEN with envy of eryka. ........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 01-04-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Hey Leslie!

Happy New Year! We stopped by the boat last night after spending the New Year in Lewes, DE and there was no ice at the marina...anywhere. They had the bubblers going and it was keeping everthing ice free. A couple or more nights of cold might change that considering last year when the marina's bubblers could not keep everything ice free. We noticed ice forming on the Kent Narrows channel where I thought the current would keep that from happening so soon. We have ice along the dock here on the Bay!

Dee and Jeannie
Old 01-04-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Heres a pic of Rock Creek as we entered our marina after a sail up from Annapolis last Wednesday. It was probably only about a 1/4" but it sounded like we were crushing 12"

Old 01-04-2010
Dennis K. Biby

dkbiby is on a distinguished road
The wind is howling too much on Spa Creek for the creek to freeze but the splash zone along the waterlines is icing up on most boats. Tides have been low but not lower than they were a month or so ago with similar winds.

Life aboard is still good - until the power fails.

A mystery novel set in Hawaii with sailors, madams, and a scarlet macaw.
Old 01-04-2010

Loaf1967 is on a distinguished road
Spa Creek

been away from the boat for the holiday. I have to admit I am a little worried as to what I am going to find when I get off work and finally go home. I started living aboard in November, this is all new to me. WHo knew the wind could blow the water away?