SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Baltimore Boat show

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  sealover 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone going?

Looks like they threw in the towel on having a sailing section this year although IP is still making an apperance and Spinsheet magazine is hosting some learn to sail seminars.

I'll probably go anyway since its the only boating fix I'm likely to get for a while and I want an excuse to go eat/drink in Fells Point anyway.

#4 ·
Well this time last year the market was right at rock bottom, so I doubt the powerboat guys were doing any good either. That said, it is an indoor powerboat show so I can see why folks trying to sell larger sailboats would find it tough going and probably not worth the expense.

Still It'll give me something boat oriented to do and I plan to hit Bertha's for mussels and Max's Taphouse while I'm up there, so the trip will be worth it no matter what.

#9 ·
So did anyone end up going? I couldn't make it this year and usually haven't found it to be worth it for me to go unless I can score some free or cheap tix. There's usually just not much there for sailboats. Has is changed at all? Were there any new products or show specials I missed out on that would have made it worth it?

#13 ·
not worth the time

I made it on Saturday morning and spent a few hours, wondering through the various motor boats, frustration growing each time a tripped over the stroller of someone only there to watch the chicken wing eating contest. As far as venders, I found few boating suppliers and far more marinas, insurance co., and maintenance services, oh and if you need guards for your rain gutters have I got a contact for you, not that it does me much good living aboard. Overall it was a waste of time, especially considering how great the weather was... I should have just stayed home and gone sailing.

#14 · (Edited)
I went for the first time. Long lines to board the two sailboats. (and there were only two, not counting a Walker Bay dinghy and some sort of sailboard)

Nice club display of old wooden runabouts out front. I bought my ticket online. It was a couple bucks cheaper and came with a year's subscription to my choice of 3 magazines. (I picked Cruising World) If I chose not to get the magazine I could get my $7 back by mailing in the email confirmation marked "REFUND" I requested the magazine, father in law asked for a refund. It hasn't been 4-6 weeks so I can't say if it'll work or not.

I was smitten with the smaller of the two Ranger Tugs at the show. Looked like year-round boating/fishing fun to me. And I could hang some retreads over the side and pick up extra cash shoving barges around.

Everything else looked pretty much the same. Who would buy a brand new runabout when a 2 year old one is half the price? and a 10 year old one is $1900. Thinking of getting one "just because" -- something to take out on windless days or fish and crab off of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.