SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rockhold Creek Question???

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BayWindRider 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! First things first, I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm new on the forum and have been bitten by the sailing bug. I'm looking forward to sharing knowledge and making new friends. The knowledge part will be one-sided for the next couple of years.. ;) I've only sailed in the Pacific around Central America, but I've just recently moved to the DC area. I know, I know... The BayWindRider name is currently misleading!!!

On with the question..

Does anyone have any information on Rockhold Creek area during the winter time. Specifically, how many days of the year is it iced over? I'm scouting out homes for my first boat. I would like to liveaboard around Deale, MD. Thanks!!

#2 ·
Real ice is relatively rare. You are likely to see skim ice periodically for a few days.

The biggest issue with Rockhold (like Herrington Harbour North) is the long bar across Herring Bay. Unless you draw appreciably less than 4 feet and have good local knowledge you have to go all the way around, which adds a fair bit of time to getting out on the Bay.

Consider Galesville as well. Also watch craigslist for private docks ... you are likely to get the best prices on a private docks, but finding them can be tricky.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
lying Back Creek Annapolis

#3 ·
BayWindRider,
Welcome aboard :)
We're down in Herrington South and so far this winter theres been some skim ice around the slips nearest the shore but nothing furtrher out in our marina. It's pretty much the same anywhere in Herring Bay.
Auspicious speaks true about the long bar. We got to North for haulout and bottom painting and with out 6 ft draftwe have to be very careful.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice

I was just looking at the charts for that area and now I see what you guys are talking about. The boats I'm looking at have a 4'6" draft. I'll definitely check out those areas you guys recommended.

I've been checking out this forum for a couple weeks now. I can see why people come here. Tons of good advice... Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.