SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2010 Sailnet Chesapeake Rendezvous?

19K views 194 replies 35 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 ·
The 2008 Rendezvous looked like fun. Perhaps the sticky could be removed as it's no longer relevant? And how about a 2010 one? I'm not familiar enough with the bay to offer up a suggested location. My boat has wheels under it so I can get just about anywhere.

#2 ·
Great Idea....we need something to plan to take our fixation with the snow off of our minds.

We hosted the 2008 Rondevous here in Rock Creek at our club/ marina and of course would be willing to do that again. We have a great cove to anchor in...slips for those who would want one. Best of all we have a large covered land pavillion with 20 picnic tavles and barb b q pits to rill in and hang out and socialize in.

If you want to try somehwere else that is fine and we are in also. Lanford Bay on the Chester comes to mind, Whitehall Bay above Annapolis, Aberdeen Creek on the South River, Broad Creek on the Magothy, and anywhere on the West River. These are all locations where anyone who is northern or central Chesapeake could make on A Saturday night. Can we look at mid June. Lets start planning.

Dave

#108 ·
Maryland Yacht Club's cove? Great Idea!

Dave - your club is one of the best yacht clubs on the bay. We like to anchor just in front of the club's docks. Very protected from the winds that always seem to blow down the Patapsco River.

Walter "Parrot Bay" Catalina 30 Shoal draft

Great Idea....we need something to plan to take our fixation with the snow off of our minds.

We hosted the 2008 Rondevous here in Rock Creek at our club/ marina and of course would be willing to do that again. We have a great cove to anchor in...slips for those who would want one. Best of all we have a large covered land pavillion with 20 picnic tavles and barb b q pits to rill in and hang out and socialize in.

If you want to try somehwere else that is fine and we are in also. Lanford Bay on the Chester comes to mind, Whitehall Bay above Annapolis, Aberdeen Creek on the South River, Broad Creek on the Magothy, and anywhere on the West River. These are all locations where anyone who is northern or central Chesapeake could make on A Saturday night. Can we look at mid June. Lets start planning.

Dave

#4 ·
And the ball is rolling! Some waterside land with a pavillion sounds great.

The weekend of June 12 would be a better one for me than the 19th.

Is there a ramp and overnight parking nearby to your marina at Rock Creek?

#8 ·
And the ball is rolling! Some waterside land with a pavillion sounds great.
Quiet Water's Park on Harness Creek off the South River has a pavilion. I don't know about nearby ramps, perhaps Liberty Marina on South River near Route 2?

#5 ·
Sounds like fun...a few comments

chef2sail hosted a great SN Rendezvous in 2008, and his offer to do it again is awesome! (It's very convenient for us) :D

However, my vote would be for something a bit more south on the bay. I'm thinking the Rhode River just behind High Island (or whats left of it ;)). We can get there with in a reasonable time, and hopefully others would too?

Although it could be a busy anchorage on any summer weekend, I think its big enough that a SailNet raft-up could fit? Also, its well protected and makes for some interesting shoreline dingy rides.

The beach on Flat Island, NNW of Little Island is big enough if we were to venture over. :D

Any weekend in June sounds good to us except June 5th & 6th :eek:

#9 ·
Harness Creek is usually a cluster in the summer with many many boats. I suggested Aberdeen which is just around the corner and the next creek west on the South River about 500 yards.

The reason I suggested a pavillion/ place to cook and somewhere to land isa when we hosted it people were able to mingle and circulate more than if they had to hop boat to rafted boat. Also it can still be held if it rains and people who cant boat in can come by land. Also who could forget the ridiculously good food every brought / made / and set up buffet community style led by Shawn (T37chef).

If we cannot find a similar place I am willing to do it again. The distanmce should be attainable by those from Whorton, Middle River, Noprtheast and harvede grace as well as those from Herrington, South, St Micheals, and Rock Hall.

My fear is that the further south we go from the Bridge it may negate the northern branch of the Chesapeake armada from comming. Who can forget Sapperhite...**:**)

Dave.

#10 ·
No argument at all Dave, although my experience with Harness Creek is that it is a little less crowded than you describe. Is there a pavilion to get to from Aberdeen?

I definitely agree with you about the benefits of a pavilion.

In the absence thereof, I think dinghy raft-ups are much more fun than rafting the boats. YMMV.

#11 · (Edited)
Due to my family's hectic schedule, I can rarely commit to dates more than a week or two out, and other obligations tend to trump sailing.:( But I'd definitely try to make it if it works out.

Rhode River is definitely a good place for a huge raft-up. And it couldn't be more convenient for us (right around the corner). But I have to say, the motorboat and jetski traffic has become much worse in recent years and it's been a while since we enjoyed a visit there. Weekdays are usually fine but weekends -- oh boy.:mad: And "High Island" is gone now. It's just a submerged shoal. Which tends to make Flat Island more crowded now.

If suggestions are still welcome:

We were up Granary Creek on Wye Island late last year for the first time. We went ashore and I was surprised to find a big covered pavillion there, that while remote is accessible by land too. I was thinking it would be a good place for a Sailnet rendezvous.

You couldn't ask for a more protected anchorage or beautiful setting. And it's a great spot for dogs and kids if you cruise with them aboard (as we do -- are we disinvited now?:D ) There's a nice nature/hiking trail, too. My chart shows a boat ramp "Wye Landing" just a bit further up Wye East River near the confluence of Wye Narrows. I've never seen it, so can't vouch.

St. Michael's is just a jaunt away. From the North, if you can transit Kent Narrows, it's not much south of the Bridge.

Just a suggestion...

P.S. I'll take a look at the stickies, etc.

P.P.S. Thread is now sticky. Also, changed thread title to avoid confusion.

#12 · (Edited)
Sounds even better

We'll likely have our children with us as well, so maybe there will be two raft ups. ;)

I'll be watching the thread to see what chaos develops as the rendezvous comes to fruition...in the meantime, we are pretty flexible with where and when.

My advice to the organizer, whomever that is? Just pick a place and date once you have some feedback and whomever shows that what it is. ;) :) :D

Cheers!

#13 ·
Dinghy raft-up? So I'd be like king of the dinghies in my V17? heh.

Landed venue sounds great too -- in case I can't get someone to watch the dogs. Or bad weather, etc.

#14 ·
Hey I started the thread but would prefer if someone with more familiarity would step up and pick a place/date (as Chef suggested) 6/12 or 6/26 (or later) get my vote.

And thanks for making this a sticky. Always felt sad seeing the '08 one "stuck" there and I wasn't around to attend!

#15 ·
June 12 would be a good date for us as we are flexible in June July we are headed for the Long island sound with the end destination of Marthas Vineyard, Newport, and Cuttyhunk, so we will be gone for 24 days or so.

JR can you get or furnish more info concerning the paviliion, grounds in Granery Creek...directions by land for the people who cannot sail to there. That seems like a reasonable spot for people in the North Chesapeake/ Central Chesapake to get to. We have been to the Wye twice. Never in Granary Creek...we anchored in Dividing Creek Nice choice. I brought it up on active captain also.

Dave

#16 · (Edited)
Wye Island/Granary Creek Info

Here is some info about that Wye Island/Granary Creek spot I mentioned. Definitely not trying to foist this on folks -- just presenting an option:

Wye Island hosts the DNR Conference Lodge (Duck House). The lodge and grounds are available to rent for your meetings, retreats, company picnics, family reunions, weddings and receptions. The conference lodge is located on Granary Creek just off the Wye East River. For recreation, we provide vollyball and horseshoes. For additional recreational space there is a large grassy field near the lodge. Guests are welcome to bring bicycles to utilize the many miles of trails and shoreline to hike and bike. The lodge itself is very small, accommodating only 25 to 30 people per day for an indoor meeting. There are overnight accommodations for 12 people in a dormitory setting. Outdoors, groups of 50 to 250 people can be accommodated. A self-service kitchen and an outdoor grill are available to users. A list of local caterers is available upon request. There is also a new 100 person outdoor pavilion available for use. Pets are prohibited at the Conference Lodge.

Rental charge for the lodge is $225 per day plus a $15 reservation charge. Overnight accommodations in the lodge or cabin cost an additional service charge of $20.00 per person per night. All bed linens, blankets and towels are provided. Rental service charge for the pavilion is only $175 per day. The lodge and pavilion can be rented as a package for $350 per day; the $15 reservation charge is applicable. Reservations are accepted ten months in advance of your stay and can be made by contacting the Wye Island Office at 410-827-7577.
Note the $175 charge for the picnic pavilion. We'd need solid commitments for that, I'd think.

From here, where there is quite a bit more info, including maps/directions via land:

Wye Island Natural Resources Management Area

#18 ·
I know I'll take one, Mike!!

Bubb's note is timely. Overnight, I was wondering if a good date for this rendezvous might be Aug 28, which would coincide with A Sail For Courtney.

A bit later than the dates bandied about earlier, but late-August does tend to be better sailing weather than late-June/July.

Either way, I'm sure there'll be more than a few "Courtney" burgees flying.:)

#20 ·
The June date has the advantage of more reliable weather than late August (remember last year, when our "raftup" turned into a gathering at Cantler's due to heavy rain?) Either location works for us, though I've got a slight preference for donating the $175 to cancer research than paying for a pavilion if Dave's yacht club offer is available - just my thought.

Of course that's assuming we're back by then! We might get seduced into staying at some interesting spot along the ICW ;)

We'll take a Courtney burgee!

#21 ·
Either location works for us, though I've got a slight preference for donating the $175 to cancer research than paying for a pavilion if Dave's yacht club offer is available - just my thought.
Eryka,

When I first mentioned the Wye Island Pavilion, I wasn't aware of the user fee. I do tend to agree with you about that. We'd need a fairly good-sized, committed group to spread the fee. A free/minimal $ space doesn't have that constraint.

#22 ·
John, Erika. I also got Sail With Courtney wrist bands coming. Like the Livestrong wrist bands. We could get some wrist bands to your participants. They could sell them for $2 apiece. Out of the sale price, one dollar goes to Sail with Courtney Cancer research and the other dollar stays with you to pay for your Pavilion or other expenses. What do you think?

#24 ·
Solomons

I vote for Solomons, more specifically up the Patuxent on Mill Creek, Lots of room to raft up and pretty secluded.

#25 ·
If the Rhode/West River area is selected, there are several boat ramps available in a small area for the person who asked.

Holiday Hills Marina boat ramp
Carr's Wharf boat ramp
Casa Rio Marina boat ramp

Plus, I may be able to offer my beach club's boat ramp in Whitemarsh Creek, depending on the size & number of boats. I doubt they'd be happy with me if we launched a fleet, but helping one or two people splash their trailer sail'ers would probably be ok, especially if you park your truck and trailer back at my house, about 30 seconds away.

#26 ·
Rhode River does have a couple ramps near by. Casio Rio have a first rate ramp and then there is Carrs Wharf (dirt Ramp I think but real close to the Rhode River Islands) and Holiday Hill Marina has a good ramp too.

Rhode River has everything except a pavilion. The small beach on Flat Island is there but small and only accessible by dingy. High Island is now awash and nearly gone, more of an obstruction than an island. Also, Rhode River has no other facilities on land, no close by watering holes, etc.<O:p

#27 ·
Bubblehead, Thanks! Beach club ramp sounds nice. My boat is 17 feet so two or three guys could probably just toss it into the water if the ramp was blocked. I pull it with either a Sonoma or an old Mercedes so no one-ton crew cab dually hogging all the parking. :)

#28 · (Edited)
Another possibility in the Rhode River/West River area

Another possibility in the Rhode River/West River area is the West River Anchorage in Galesville. There is still no pavilion, but there is a public dock and parking area. There MUST be a boat ramp in the area and there is 3 watering holes there. Lots of room to anchor and there is a speed limit (6kts) so no waterskiing or fast boats (there is the rogue pwc).

#30 ·
Well......our beach club has a small pavilion in Ponder Cove (Whitemarsh Creek). I'm new in the neighborhood and I don't know what I need to do to reserve it.

Ponder Cove where Holiday Hill Marina is at is kind of small and rafting up a bunch of 40' ers might be difficult. Then again, all you guys with big boats probably have powered dinghies that could reach Ponder Cove in about 5 minutes from your anchorage.

How many people do you think will attend this thing? I don't think our pavilion will cost anything.

I can post pictures of the area if there is enough interest. Let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.