Bottom Painting advice and costs for Chesapeake Bay - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Prices for short haul?

I need to have a short haul for my 33ft boat, just an hour in the slings, sometimes called a "lunch haul". No other services needed. No powerwash, etc. I just want to replace zinc, clean depth-speed-temp sensors, maybe wipe down the hull with a sponge or squeegee.

My current marina wants $8.50/ft or about $280 to do this. This is much higher than I paid at my last marina a couple years ago down near Solomons. Anyone have comparison prices for western Maryland shore? Anything cheaper in the South River - Edgewater - Mayo - Galesville region appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Oak Harbor charges me $6.00 p/ft for a quick pull, I am not sure what the charge is for non slip holders, but probably $8.00 p/ft. I think the fee for haul, spray wash, tarp, block is $10.00 p/ft + land fees.

We are changing to Pettit SR40 from Interlux Micron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-09-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
I don't understand why you would haul for zinc replacement and a hull cleaning. A diver would do this for a fraction of the price and you don't have to move your boat or even be present. Unfathomable!
Old 04-09-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Sorry Fast and the group....

there are some less than professional divers on the bay, who say they are doing XX and either don't or do a poor job. Or who have no clue how to "clean" the bottom as opposed to damage the bottom.

And the savings is minimal...$150 for a diver, $200 for a short haul in our area

Some of us want to be there and see first hand how things look and to verify that our hard earned $$ is well spent on what we want done. Firsthand is always best.

In the last year alone, two cases of wrong size zincs, and two cases of "scrapes" that ruined what bottom paint was there...bottom paint gouges you can sail with...a zinc that is rattling around your shaft is another question all together.

YMMV, and no I am not offering, endorsing or condoning ANYTHING, just offering my experience so that others may learn from those mistakes.

dave
Old 04-09-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
That's a shame. Too bad for you, your wallet and the professional hull cleaners who do work in your region (and I know they're out there.)
Old 04-09-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
At Madden Marine (just across the creek from Oak Harbor) they charge $4/ft to haul and relaunch, and $1/ft for a powerwash ($35 minimum). Comes to $147 for my Newport 28, and they'll leave her on the slings for a bit if I want to poke around at stuff.

Those were last years' prices, which hadn't changed from the year before. As always, call for a current price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 04-09-2010

Nice to know Jas, are you there? Did someone buy it recently?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-09-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
No, I'm at White Rocks. But WR is a bit pricey for a lift'n'wash, and MM is just around the corner. They quoted me a good price for painting as well: $9/ft for powerwash, sanding and painting; $15 for sundries like sandpaper and such; and $102 for the lift and launch -- I pay for the paint.

I've tried various manuvers such as "How about if you lift and pad and I paint?" but it always works out about the same, because if they don't get labor for painting they bump up the lift and storage fees. I talked to White Rocks, Oak Harbor and Madden and got the same story at each place, but MM was the cheapest.

Monrovia, MD
Old 04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
I don't understand why you would haul for zinc replacement and a hull cleaning. A diver would do this for a fraction of the price and you don't have to move your boat or even be present. Unfathomable!
37' boat...how much?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-09-2010

Janssen is on a distinguished road
Short Haul Costs on Cheaspeake Bay

Everyone knows that I like to spend money on my boat -I do NOT like to spend on marinas!

My 2 cents.

I keep my boat at Old Bay Marina, outside of Baltimore on the Patapsco River.

They haul out several boats almost every day - this little sailboat boatyard moves more boats in one day than some of the big Annapolis Gucci yards do in a week.

Why - sailing folks are fed up with paying too much for "ambiance" when all we really need is an honest old-time boatyard to haul out our boats and not break the bank!

Old Bay only charges $4.50' for a quick haul and that includes a pressure wash and a barnacle scrape. They will sell you zincs at a low price and even install your new zinc anodes for FREE! And unlike the Solomons or Annapolis yards - the ticker is not running where they charge you by the minute if you need a little more time to install a seacokck or transducer. I did a quick haul in Solomons a few years back and needed to clean my engine intake - they told me that a quick haul meant QUICK and if I did not hurry up they would charge me for every half-hour I was in the sling. At Old Bay - they just go to "lunch" and say we will see you in an hour or two!

Remember that the coffee is just as tasty at Dunkin Donuts as it is at Starbucks. There are still places on the Chesapeake where you do not need to pay and arm and a leg to service your boat.

George on the sailing vessel "Nordic Nights"