Bottom Painting advice and costs for Chesapeake Bay - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
37' boat...how much?
Can't speak to prices in the Chesapeake, but here in the Bay Area, we charge $2.25/foot for hull cleaning and $10.00/zinc for installation (plus the zincs). So, for a hull cleaning and a couple of 1" shaft zincs, I'd charge you about $138.00.

Lots cheaper than a haulout. And you didn't even have to go down to the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
You make a good point FB, thanks...I will certainly consider doing so next time Any recs for a diver near Baltimore? I Have seen a few guys down at our marina before, should have grabbed a card...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
You make a good point FB, thanks...I will certainly consider doing so next time Any recs for a diver near Baltimore? I Have seen a few guys down at our marina before, should have grabbed a card...
Again, I am 3000 miles away, so I make no claims for any of these outfits, but here's what I got in your neck of the woods:

DMH Dive Service- DMH Dive Services - Search and Retrieve, overboard lost items, hull cleaning, boat maintenence in MD

KB Diver Services- KB Diver Services

CGS Marine & Dive Service- CGS Home
Old 04-10-2010
Walter

walterzoy is on a distinguished road
Quick Haul Costs on Chesapeake Bay- Diver Woes

Be carefull of divers here on the Chesapeake Bay - In the summer you can only see a few inches in front of you because the bay water is so murky with algae. In San Fran Bay you can see a great distance while under water. In Baltimore Harbor - you are lucky to see an inch!

That is why when the boatyards haul out boats that divers "cleaned" you see one side of the prop clean and the other side full of barnacles - same goes for thru-hull openings - one or two clean - one full of seaweed and barnacles - same for the bottom - clean as a whistle in spots and other areas full of slime and nasty stuff. We also see zincs that divers put on come loose because they cannot properly use a heavy hammer to set the zinc to the shaft.

For a few dollars extra let the marina lift out your boat with a quarter of a million dollar travelift and blast the bottom, prop, shaft, and thru-hulls with their 4,000# roto water blaster. You can see what you just spent your money on - with a diver - it is hit or miss. And best of all - my marina install your zinc for free - see if a diver will install your zincs for free!

Walter "Parrot Bay" Catalina 30 Shoal draft
Old 04-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterzoy View Post
San Fran Bay you can see a great distance while under water.
Visibility varies greatly in San Francisco Bay depending primarily upon the weather. But nobody who has ever spent a minute in the water here would say you can see a "great distance."

I will not defend divers I have never met, working in a waterway that I have never seen. But I find it very difficult to believe that all, or even most, of the dive services in the Cheasapeake Bay Area are doing the poor quality work several have described as "typical" in this thread.
Old 04-11-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i agree that seeing in the chessy is kind of hard, normal range of sight to see something is less than a foot and sometimes 6 inches.
Old 04-11-2010

GenesisCaptain is on a distinguished road
I just had a my Catalina 27 hauled, powerwashed, barnacles scraped, blocked for a week or so, tarped for work(clean marina) for $295 at Gateway Marina in Cambridge including splash. A short haul and powerwash/scrape was about $195 I think. The Chandlery has good prices and they can get you just about anything in a day or two. Great folks to deal with. Friendly, fun and affordable, I highly recommend.
Old 04-14-2010
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the price checks around the Maryland western shore. Much appreciated. I think I will try and negotiate down where I am, but if that doesn't make it worth while will do a daysail up to the Patapsco and avail myself of some of the services there.

FWIW I could dive on my own boat, I'm certified. But I like to check out things below the waterline - myself - while the boat is lifted dry. I only paint every other year, so do a wipe down squeegee cleaning. And I like doing all this myself, as I do not trust the eyes of a basic boatyard worker who does not know my boat, or what it was like last time it was hauled, or if the zinc is going faster than before. Apart from knowing my boat, which they would not know, for all these yards charge for a hourly rates I have seen some appalling things that have escaped notice on other boats, but which were glaring for one who has eyes that care.
Old 04-15-2010
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
I'm trying out West Marine's CPP Ablative. It has about the same copper % as Interlux Micron and it's just $119/gallon with a $30 rebate in April. So it's $89. I've read it performs well ... but check back with me in the Fall.
Old 04-15-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Shawn,

Everyone here at the club uses Patrick McMahon. Scary looking dude but does the job well.. diver-4-hire@hotmail.com. He just deslimed our boat. No barnacles or problems after staying in over the winter. used the same Micron EX you did as Ken did ours last year. Did red over blue and the red is still showing. We will get ours deslimed again before our trip to the Vinyard in early July.

Dave

I have no business affilation or interest with him.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner