Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010
Walter

walterzoy is on a distinguished road
Bottom Painting advice and costs for Chesapeake Bay

Hello, I have a Catalina 30 with many years of old bottom paint. I would like to have her bottom painted this spring.

What is the best paint to use in the Chesapeake Bay?

I heard that the Chesapeake Bay has worse fouling problems (barnacles and plant growth than than Floridia!

What should I pay to have my boat hauled out of the water, the bottom cleaned and two coats of a bottom paint that will give me at least one season of barnacle-free bottom?

I do not need a racing bottom as we are not into racing.

Thank you - Walter "Parrot Bay" Catalina 30 Shoal draft
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2010

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Walter,
I'm not familiar with prices on the Chesapeake, but I'm going to venture a guess anyway... $1,200-$1,400 for two coats of ablative. This should include haulout, blocking, pressure wash, any scraping, prep work, painting and splashing. I would either go with what is on your boat now (if you can find out) or go with whatever your local yard suggests. They'll know.
Old 03-05-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
hauling out Sunday 10 miles up the Potomac from the Bay, $1K for haul, block, pressure wash, paint, zincs...unless they find something unexpected. This includes almost 2 gallons of paint, which keeps climbing in price.

Best of luck, send me an email if you want the name
dave
Old 03-05-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Where in Chesapeake Bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterzoy View Post
Hello, I have a Catalina 30 with many years of old bottom paint. I would like to have her bottom painted this spring.

What is the best paint to use in the Chesapeake Bay?

I heard that the Chesapeake Bay has worse fouling problems (barnacles and plant growth than than Floridia!

What should I pay to have my boat hauled out of the water, the bottom cleaned and two coats of a bottom paint that will give me at least one season of barnacle-free bottom?

I do not need a racing bottom as we are not into racing.

Thank you - Walter "Parrot Bay" Catalina 30 Shoal draft
The head is fresh, the foot is salt.

Do you want hard paint (so you can scrub it) or soft paint (so you don't have to scrape the paint off in a few years)?

What type of paint do you have now?

Can't answer, not knowing, but it sounds like you want an ablative (soft) paint.

I like Interlux Micron and Interlux 66 (no freshwater). I have used both several times. They are $$$ but should get you 2 years, if you haul in the winter. 18 months if you stay in the water. Whether you need to strip the bottom, can't say. Unless the paint is loose, it is not required.

Yes, the Bay is tough that way.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 03-05-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-05-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I am in Rock Creek. We use Micron Extra Ablative, 2 coats, extra on leading edge surfaces on the keel and rudder. Last two years with a diver going down once each year. Dont forget to get an antifowling for the prop also.
Call Oak Harbor for their latest prices. (not affiliated with them)

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-09-2010

Janssen is on a distinguished road
Bottom painting & haulout Prices Chesapeake Bay Spring 2010

Hello Walter -- Here are some prices for paint and labor from the updated spring 2010 price sheet from the marina I use near Baltimore. They do nice work and work hard at saving their customers money instead of nickle and dimeing you!

++++++++++++++++++++ From Old Bay Marina example price sheet:

25' Sailboat or Powerboat bottom painted for $175.00 and includes taping waterline, all materials (less paint) tape, rollers brushes, etc.

30' Sailboat or Powerboat bottom painted for $195.00 and includes taping waterline, all materials (less paint) tape, rollers brushes, etc.

35' Sailboat or Powerboat bottom painted for $225.00 and includes taping waterline, all materials (less paint) tape, rollers brushes, etc.

We have the lowest prices on bottom paint - We beat West Marine's catalog prices on bottom paint.

Micron with Biolux $191.36 gal.
Act with Irgarol $99.99 $267.77 for 3 gallon pail
Vivid Free new bottom paint from Pettit only $175.00 gallon

Seacock valves and thru-hulls serviced - Reasonable rates on stuffing box re-packing, shaft and propeller service.

Cutless bearing replacement.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I must add that the marina DOES NOT sand your bottom for that price, they will Soda blast the bottom but this is very pricey at $40.00 per foot! They will pressure wash the bottom with a 4,500 PSI water blaster for free and this knocks off the loose paint and in most cases this is all that is needed for prep work --George

Last edited by Janssen; 03-09-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2010
MD's Best Boat Detailer

CandKDetailing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to CandKDetailing
That is a good price but does it include sanding and barnacle removal?

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-12-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Commercial Posts for services are a violation of Forum Rules
Old 03-09-2010

mombemoo is on a distinguished road
Are you at Port Kinsale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
hauling out Sunday 10 miles up the Potomac from the Bay, $1K for haul, block, pressure wash, paint, zincs...unless they find something unexpected. This includes almost 2 gallons of paint, which keeps climbing in price.

Best of luck, send me an email if you want the name
dave
Old 03-09-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I'm fairly new to sailing and only have experience with one brand of paint and that's Petit Hydrocoat. Its a water based multiseason ablative. Based on talking to other boat owners around me, I'm convinced it is as effective as the higher price products and has done well in PS tests. On my previous boat we went 2 seasons with a haulout over the winter and then sold that boat. On the current boat I sanded the exisiting ablative to create "tooth" and put on two coats of Black Hydrocoat. The boat has been in the water since May of last year and was scrubbed by a diver once during the season. The boat hasn't moved since late October and currently has a 1/4" beard of slime, but no hard growth. I'll do a short haul in the spring to powerwash, check/replace zincs and repack the stuffing box and I'll be good for another season at least.

We hire a diver to do several of our boats and I don't need cleaning any more often that the guys using Micron or Interlux. Also, I used a short knapp roller then tipped with a brush and finally did a very light hand sanding and got a really smooth bottom, not racing smooth, but way smoother than a lot of boats I see in the yard.

Being a water based paint, Hydrocoat is a lot less troublesome for do it yourselfers since there aren't any fumes and it cleans up easily with water.
Old 03-09-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Commercial Posts offering services are a violation of Forum Rules

did not put an offer of services in.....just a name of who I used, please contact me if you want details....

Last edited by kd3pc; 04-09-2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Posts for services are a violation of Forum Rules