Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
Herrington Harbor (Harbour?) South - For a small transient

I'd like to hear some thoughts on Herrington Harbour South. Wife wants a beach vacation this year but time and budget may only allow a long weekend or a mid-week getaway. Saw an article in Proptalk with a big picture of the marina. Palm trees, huge pool. Caribbean-themed. Showed it to the redhead and she agreed that might be a nice substitute for our usual Myrtle Beach vacation.

The plan would be to launch from a nearby marina, sail to Herrington, tie up and "live aboard" our 17 footer. Cook a meal or two on the grille and eat a few in the restaurant. Spend the days at the pool/nature trail/sauna or sailing nearby. (I guess that depends on conditions and the redhead)

What are the transient slips like? Sheltered fairly well from waves? How much (if any) advance reservation would I need to get one for a 2-night period during the first or second week of August?

As far as the tight quarters - we spent a night in a 4' x 4' tent on the infield of Watkins Glen during a cold rain storm. I expect this to be no worse.

Oh and another dumb question. Is "shore power" electricity offered at marinas 110V and a conventional outlet? If it's hot and muggy I'd hope to run a small fan plugged into the same extension cord I use for outdoor Christmas lights.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Herrington is great place to stay for transients. Top notch accomadations and the people are nice there. Most slips at any marina will be either 30 amp or 50 amp service. You will need to get a 30 amp adapter to run a 110 cord to it. The are not expensive. My only caveat is to make sure that your extension cord is waterproof and not near the water. The extra electrolytic current will not be appreciated by the nearby boats. Also make sure you have netting for the mosquitos. Have fun at HH..great pool.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-17-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
Good call on the mosquito net. When I crossed the country in a Jetta wagon I rigged up some sort of bridal veil material from the fabric store over the (open) sunroof, held on with strips of refrigerator magnets. Worked great when sleeping along the road somewhere. I'll come up with something for the companionway! 30 amp adapter -- so it looks like a clothes dryer power cord? I guess I could just buy a battery powered fan and some D cells.

Another dumb question -- looks like I pay by the foot. My boat is a 17 by model designation. Hull actually measures 17' 6" bow pulpit might bump it up a few inches. motor mount another half foot or so. Plus the outboard. So am I paying for 20' ? 18? Seems like most places say they have slips for "25 to 50 footers" Do they charge a minimum length? So many questions!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 03-17-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
not to stray off the OP original question too much, but are there any moorings in or near Herrington Harbor. The weekend before our summer cruise south we had thought we would get the boat part of the way down the bay and leave it on a mooring. If we can make it, I know Zanhizers in Solomons does, but was not as familiar with HH.

Thanks,

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 03-17-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Defender has the adapter 30A male to 15 amp for $52 (WM is 82). It has come in handy for other uses such as when I have shore power and just want to run a power tool on an extension cord saw up the mast or topside. I dont have to use the AC on the boat. Batteries will run down quickly. I am sure you will need a fan.

HH probably has a minimum charge for a 25ft slip. Our club charges $1.50 per foot one of the cheapest you will ever find. Even $2 to $2.50 per foot is very cheap. In New England it is 3.50 and 4 per foot. This is why most of us anchor out or take a mooring in New England.

I understand you want it to be a vacation so splurge and stay in a slip, use the showers pool and the facilities. Remember you fee pays for that,

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-17-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
No moorings in Herring Bay area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
not to stray off the OP original question too much, but are there any moorings in or near Herrington Harbor. The weekend before our summer cruise south we had thought we would get the boat part of the way down the bay and leave it on a mooring. If we can make it, I know Zanhizers in Solomons does, but was not as familiar with HH.

Thanks,
Only marinas.

Anchorage near Herrington Harbor North is possible, but not common.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-18-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I am relocating my boat to HHS in the very near future and have checked out the marina enough to know that it would be a decent place for a relaxing vacation. That said, I'd encourage you to consider either earlier or later in the year. The heat in August is simply oppressive, and unless you are prepared with coverings over your hatches and portlights, afternoon thundershowers can force you to close up the boat making it an effective crockpot for humans. Otherwise, it sounds like a great plan.
Old 03-18-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Most newer power pylons have conventional 15A 110 outlets in addition to the 30A and/or 50A marine outlets. I expect HHS does but don't know for sure. Surely someone on Sailnet is at Herrington Harbour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I often anchor just off the platform northwest of R2 in Herring Bay. That is a find place, but I don't know about leaving a dinghy anywhere convenient for a week.

The West River Sailing Club has moorings on the West. There are moorings at Cambridge and Oxford of course. I can't think of any other moorings between Annapolis and Solomons.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-18-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I'd go to solomon's myself. More to do, places to anchor / moor / dock. You'll find that HHS is top noch, but not much else to do nearby. Solomon's has a lot of shops, more food options, and can keep you busy for a week pretty easily.
Old 03-18-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
I'd go to solomon's myself. More to do, places to anchor / moor / dock. You'll find that HHS is top noch, but not much else to do nearby. Solomon's has a lot of shops, more food options, and can keep you busy for a week pretty easily.
I would second that!

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.